• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advantages and disadvantages of NGC registry?

23 posts in this topic

Hello

I am curious to find out what other people believe the advantages and disadvantages are for:

1) Entering your coins in the NGC (and/or PCGS) registry

2) Posting pictures of your coins in the NGC (and/or PCGS) registry

There must be some perceived disadvantages for having others see what you are collecting since some people have their collections obscured. Furthermore, very few people post pictures of their coins. So is there some disadvantage to posting pictures besides the time that it takes to do this? There may also be some advantages to utilizing the NGC registry when it comes time to sell.

I was just wondering what other people think about these issues and I thought that this could lead to some interesting discussions.

There are two distinct advantages to the NGC registry in my mind: 1. They allow NGC and PCGS coins, allowing you much greater selection in building your set. 2. The point scoring system is far superior in gauging the better set than simply the average grade. I believe its a much fairer system.

As for posting pictures or obscuring your set, this comes with a completely different attitude about the purpose of the registry. Some compete in the registry to see who has the best set and who can be number one. These people aren't necessarily concerned with actually sharing or displaying their coins. And then there are people like me who love the coins, love learning about them, love showing them, and use the registry to teach others about my coins more than I do to compete. I like seeing good pictures and descriptions in some people's sets because I like looking at coins. And some people have very nice sets, and want to let other people see them.

I'm not interested in the registry at this time, though if my collections ever become good enough, I might set one or more up for the recent South Africa Union sets that were just added.

Here are the perceived benefits I see:

Its a safe way to share your collections with others because they can be observed by others even while you keep them in a safe depoist box or elsewhere.

Here are the perceived disadvantages I see:

It potentially increases the price of the coins you want to buy for no apparent reason (in my opinion). That is why I hope there are not very many participants in the Registry for the coins I collect. (NGC just added sets for both South Africa Union business strikes and proofs.)

The fact that the NGC registry allows both PCGS and NGC coins is really great for the hobby in my opinion. As a newer collector, and being relatively inexperienced, I do not prefer one company over the other as some collectors do. I don't even bother with the PCGS registry simply because of that.

I really can't comment on the point system, as the NGC one is the only registry I use. I am not in the "game" of trying to build the best sets, just what is beautiful and interesting to me. If I was able to purchase top pop coins, I certainly wouldn't do it to compete in a silly game of points.

I use the registry as a way to keep track of what I have. I try to include a description and a picture, so I don't have to keep taking them out (although I do that quite a bit :) ) , and to share a little with others in the online community.

I absolutely hate when someone has a nice collection and their coins have a description like "pop 2/0" and no picture. I can't imagine why someone would even go through the effort to do that. Essentially a waste of everyone's time if you ask me...

The registry system here is awesome, with autobuild features etc.. I am not sure about PCGS but from what I saw it was plain text listings, you could add photos of course.. really like the system here.

Allows both types of holder. Already mentioned, but this is a big deal. Points system is good, and the amount of sets to compete in is very good now with the new world sets.

A great LOOKING place to compete and present your coins, built in pricing from Numismedia for some coins, and awards.. what more could you want ?

I love the NGC registry, my only problem with it is not being able to add the price you paid for the coin. I enter all of my PCGS coins into the PCGS registry just so I can have a back up of the price I paid for the coin and who/where I got the coin from.

I also like that PCGS lets you add coins to your inventory with putting them in a set.

I love the NGC registry, my only problem with it is not being able to add the price you paid for the coin. I enter all of my PCGS coins into the PCGS registry just so I can have a back up of the price I paid for the coin and who/where I got the coin from.

That's an interesting feature, but I wouldn't want that unless it was private so that only you could see it. Current list value of my coins is one thing, specific purchase price is my business (IMO).

I also like that PCGS lets you add coins to your inventory with putting them in a set.

I assume you mean "without putting them in a set". Hey NGC folks if you're listening this would be a GREAT feature. I've found that by far the easiest way for me to build a set is to use one of the auto-build features, but since you accept PCGS coins half the time that only works for coins that are already in a set. If we could add coins to our Coin List first, and then use the auto-build feature that would make it a lot easier to build sets.

Also, for sets that haven't been created this prevents adding NGC coins too. I'm new here so I don't know what the avg. turnaround time is but I've got a 2009 dated $5 Silver Canadian Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games coin which was released in November 2008 but I can't add to my coin inventory b/c I can't find a slot for it. Just another example of why I think this feature would be a really good addition to the NGC Registry.

My 2c

I often put the price I paid for it into the description. I tell the story of how I got it, when, where, etc. Of course, my descriptions are more like essays, but still.... This is another advantage of the NGC registry - the format allows for a great description or story about the coin. Of course, the 5000 character limit gets annoying, but I'm one of the very few people that ever hits that. ;)

I do agree, adding coins to your inventory without having them in your set would be a great feature for NGC to add.

Slight correction to something I said earlier -- You can add coins if there isn't a set, by putting them in a Signature Set ... but coins added that way don't appear in your Coin List.

That's an interesting feature, but I wouldn't want that unless it was private so that only you could see it. Current list value of my coins is one thing, specific purchase price is my business (IMO).

Yes, it stays private.

It will also display what you paid vs. the PCGS value, when you click on your coin list.

I do agree, adding coins to your inventory without having them in your set would be a great feature for NGC to add.

The only way I can figure out how to do it is add the coin into a set and then remove the coin but don't delete the coin and the coin will stay in your coin list.

Schatzy nailed it..........

You CAN add coins into your registry and not have them as part of an existing set....

example of how::: I buy a nice Walker although I already have one of the date in higher grade. I simply add it to a set slot ( or create a set if it is a coin from a random series)..then I delete the set. The registry gives the option of keeping the coin(s) registered to you ( and the points) even if they are not in a set...just click yes..presto...!!

if it is a double of an existing coin( and you want to keep the set listed), simply add the new coin (replace) into the proper date slot...then you click "build the best set" or "autobuild"..and both coins are now part of your registry although only the higher point coin shows you get the points for both and both are registered to you...presto...

hope this helped someone..

And as to the original post: the registry is a great community for like-minded people who share a passion for numismatics, in case you haven't noticed- not everyone gets a thrill from finding a "D" on the back of an old worn 1916 dime...

Schatzy nailed it..........

You CAN add coins into your registry and not have them as part of an existing set....

That was mentioned, but it doesn't work if there isn't already a set for your coin. Then you get to wait until one gets created ... or make a Signature Set, but even then coins added there don't appear in your coin list

There's several benefits to the ability to add coins directly instead of having to add them to a set.

There's several benefits to the ability to add coins directly instead of having to add them to a set.

I wish NGC would add this feature. :gossip:

Maybe we better ask them real nice!! :baiting:

I like that idea also,

Seems like it would not be any issue at all for the NGC as the info comes up but they might have issues with getting the PCGS in the correct slot. I do like the idea however.

I like that idea also,

Seems like it would not be any issue at all for the NGC as the info comes up but they might have issues with getting the PCGS in the correct slot. I do like the idea however.

If that's the problem I'd be satisfied if the feature were at least available only for NGC coins.

So, is there an official "feature requests" thread?

I believe can and does, though I would not know on which ones and by how much. From comments on this board and my own assumptions, I believe it to be most common on US modern conditional rarities but I have no direct evidence of it.

• Administrator

The irony is, we used to allow that a long time ago, but it was confusing to people who thought of the work flow as first you create a set and then you fill it. So we got rid of it.

It'll make a come back, though.

I don’t understand why one would have a registry set without pictures. The registry provides a fantastic portal to view some fine collections but what’s the point of looking at collections without images? (shrug)

I appreciate the NGC registry because:

1) It gives me virtual access to my collection even though the physical coins are in my SDB.

2) It allows me to share my collection either individually or collectively with my friends in the collecting community.

3) It allows for friendly competition.

4) It allows me to catalog my collection and record data such as price paid, when and by whom.

5) It gives me pride in ownership, especially earning the best presented set along with Jason in 2008.

6) It has helped hone my photography skills.

7) It allows both PCGS and NGC coins.

8) The NGC staff are always helpful and courteous.

9) It is easy to use and access.

10) It gives the Numismedia price for the coins.

The best things about the registry are that it provides a framework from which to form a collection. For me it's like cyber space based coin album that provides holes to fill.

The registry also provides a forum where advanced collectors can educate those who in the learning process with write-ups and pictures. I too think that these sterile registry sets with no pictures and no write-ups are a waste of CPU storage space. And I think that obscured sets are worse than useless and should be banned. Why are they even on the site? Those who wish to compete with such sets do not have any way of knowing what is in them.

The lack pictures also encourages fraud. How tough is it to go to a show and write down some slab serial numbers? Not hard at all. And as long no one tries the register the same coin, the fraud continues.

There should also be rules against placing an inappropriate item in a slot. There one individual who has placed in 1804 restrike cent in the Draped Bust Large cent category. The 1804 restrike is not a coin. It is an early 19th century counterfeit that was made from discarded mint dies. The reverse of this piece is from 1820, not the type of 1804, and the obverse was made form a modified 1803 large cent die. Yet this individual gets the MS-65 points for a coin that cost him $2,000 at most, while a legitimate coin would cost the honest registry contestant $20,000 or more.

The worst thing about the registry is that the point value system is seriously flawed and due for a total overhaul. Coins that are not rare and which sell in the market for comparatively low prices get far more points that they deserve relative to coins that are very hard locate and quite expensive. Yes, there is some merit to the argument that places on the registry should not be “bought.” But those who have labored for years to find the rarest coins don’t get their due. And those who buy high grade modern stuff that is common are overly rewarded.

I understand why this because it has due with marketing the certification product. But that doesn’t compensate for the injustice that is now built into the syste