• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for the perfect Morgan.

15 posts in this topic

Have I found it yet?HA! This must be a scan,right??Can you guys grade from this? Here's the blurb. It looks really great to me except the color.I doubt it actually is that color in hand.

FROSTED DEVICES AND MIRROR-LIKE SURFACES COMBINE WITH ORIGINAL GOLDEN PERIPHERAL TONING THAT ACCENT THE EYE-APPEAL OF THIS MORGAN DOLLAR STRUCK AT THE SAN FRANCISCO MINT IN 1879.

79Stonedins1.jpg

79stonedins2.jpg

Looks pretty pristine. I don't see any marks of note. Some might say there's rub on the high points of the Eagles feathers, not sure there. Upon first looking at the coin and not reading your description, I noted that there are probably mirrors that are subdued by the toning or haze on the coin. Also there appears to be decent frost on the devices. I'd be tempted to call this a PL.

I don't like the looks of this coin myself. It just doesn't look right. Colors are off and it doesn't look like scan caused. The different colors in the fields look like the coin has been fixed up. Maybe some photoshop work. JMO

The eagle on the reverse has obviously got something more going on with it other than just toning. It looks like some sort of “make-up” that has been rubbed into the feathers. As such this coin is far from perfect; it’s doctored.

Toning and dirt can naturally or unnaturally mask marks and other problems. It is for that reason that experts warn collectors to be very careful when they purchase toned or dirty coins that are purported to be high grade.

This is a Proof Morgan dollar. It shows the level of detail than can be found when a Morgan dollar is well struck. Although the early San Francisco mint dollars were not Proofs, they were well made. If you are going to find the "perfect" Morgan dollar at a reasonable price, it would be one of the dates, perhaps an 1880-S or an 1881-S.

1883silverdollarO.jpg1883silverdollarR.jpg

I didn't think these images were any any good..To off on color.My perfect Morgan reference is just a joke. An eye catching title.Also,probably a neverending search.

The main reasons I don't like it

Color (obvious)

The big mark on the neck which looks like its been filled in

The unnatural frosty look which looks like it might have been added

Interesting coin, is it on the bay ?

As a matter of fact, if are interested in the most perfectly struck business strike Morgan I have ever seen, there is an 1878-CC in an MS-64 grade that will become available in the next Scotsman sale. It is astounding for strike.

Of course, that would be taken of the '78 hubs. If you're looking for the '79 hubs, then as Bill Jones mentioned, your best bet will be 1879-S, 1880-S, 1881-S, or 1882-S.

I got the coin in the mail today and I have to say I'm amazed. I can't believe I won this for $57.00.And,It's hard to believe it's the same one as in the first post It shows a little haze in the pictures..Though the plastic is pretty thick.It's better than the picture shows. What about a grade now guys?Thanks for looking.

79SINS21.jpg

79SINS22.jpg

I'd grade it MS-64 at best. There is an abrasion mark all the way down Ms. Liberty's face from in back of the nose to the chin and neck. On the reverse there are rub marks on the eagle's breast feathers.

This is far from the perfect Morgan dollar.

I'd grade it MS-64 at best. There is an abrasion mark all the way down Ms. Liberty's face from in back of the nose to the chin and neck. On the reverse there are rub marks on the eagle's breast feathers.

This is far from the perfect Morgan dollar.

I said that thing about perfect was a joke.I don't see what you are seeing.It's not any kind dig in the metal.?It's a luster break is all.No damage.

Bill,you're right about the abrasion.I took a closer look and it's there.It's not too bad,but it probably takes it from a 65 to a 64.So,I got a decent MS64 PL for a good price.