• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of the new interface?

What do you think of the new interface?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new interface?

35 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Posts in this folder are always comment strings attached to news stories on the front page of the collectors' society. Thus... news talk.

http://www.collectors-society.com/news/viewarticle.asp?IDArticle=74

Posts in this folder are always comment strings attached to news stories on the front page of the collectors' society. Thus... news talk.

Oh. I don't read that page.... OK, read it. It's about the Registry. I don't play that game, but if it matters I'll say that the improvements SOUND like they are good.

BTW, I like ice cream.

OK, Arch, I finally got a coin that I could add, and I want to change my vote...

I previously liked ice cream, but now, want to vote between "It doesn't matter, I like the old way" (I did), and "This is more confusing" (it is.)

Where you used to be able to just lump register your pieces on one convenient screen, now you have to go to the set page and do it, adding additional steps. And I had to retry several times before I found the specific screen that I needed.

The new interface may be nice if you are trying to add an entire set at once, but if you are just adding a few upgrades, it seems hard to use.

To me it's just a different way of getting to the same spot. I agree with Keith about the drawbacks and I don't like the idea of having to create a set in order to register coins. (That sounds odd huh?) Anyway, overall, it may matter more as to what you think is easiest to manage Arch. tongue.gif

Hoot

• Administrator

Actually, I'm in favor of both. The real issue is that we seem to have people who make sets, and then register coins, and never quite figure out that they need to then add the coins to their set.

We were trying to avoid this problem.

Also, knowing what set a coin is bound for allows us to prefill some info that makes it easier to process the new coins being registered, which is nice.

How many of you actually use the system to store coins that you're NOT adding directly to sets? And why do you do it?

"How many of you actually use the system to store coins that you're NOT adding directly to sets? And why do you do it?"

Collections are dynamic. I like having options on all levels of endeavor. A simple matter of record in a different form.

Hey Arch, where you been lately? Seems like you are chiming in less in the discussions. You're missed!

Hoot

• Administrator

Hey Keith,

You're losing me a little here. Let me see if I can follow:

You liked the old screen because it gave you one spot to add your coins from instead of jumping to different sets for single upgrades.

BUT, the fact is that even with the old stuff, although you could conveniently register your coins in one step, once they got processed, you would then still have to go to each set and add those new coins to their respective sets.

So in summary, the old way is:

1) Register a bunch of coins on one screen

2) Go back later and add those coins to many screens in their destination sets

With the new system, you don't have to ever go back. So the new system is:

1) Go to many screens and add your coins directly to the set they're bound for

2) That's it. You never go back because the system automatically adds your coins into your sets for you.

The only thing this system really does is this:

1) All the clicking happens up front, instead of a single screen up front and many screens later. It skips the single screen up front and just gives you the many screens to add them into sets right away.

2) It DOES prevent you from adding coins to the system that you do not want to display in any set at all at first.

#1 directly above seems like a good thing. #2 COULD be bad, if people have reasons to want to register coins but not actually add them to a set. Is #1 a good thing? Is #2 bad?

Arch

OK, good valid points.

#1 is slightly easier to find the spot where you register coins.

#2 is easier as far as the coin being added where it needs to go.

In both cases, you have to go back if you use pictures like me. wink.gif

Either way, I have to go back and "manage" the coin, unless you could add a way to link pics to pending additions.

• Administrator
"Collections are dynamic. I like having options on all levels of endeavor. A simple matter of record in a different form."

Well, I tend to agree. I like to have many powerful options myself. This becomes bad, however, if having those options begins to confuse some considerable portion of your user base. We have some evidence (in the form of sets added with no coins ever entered) that this has happened with the old system.

So we're just looking to see if there are good solid reasons why we should keep the old method available. If not, then why have it...

Arch

P.S. I'm still here. But the posts that draw me out more are ones that have less to do with specific collecting issues, and more to do with market place comparisons, or registry issues, etc. etc. If I see a thread about XXX coin type, I skim it. I just don't have much to contribute on those topics, since I'm not really a collector of any coins. Plus, War Craft 3 is a great game and is taking up my evenings at the moment. Muhahaha. wink.gif

cool.gif

• Administrator

Either way, I have to go back and "manage" the coin, unless you could add a way to link pics to pending additions.

Hmmm... interesting thought. We probably can.

Arch

While we're on the topic of sets, how about including an icon for people who have set descriptions, somewhat like the photo icon. Some people simply can't make pics of their material but have descriptions and it would be nice to know who. It's disappointing to go to a set, open it, click on a coin or two and find nada.

Just a thought... Hoot

Still looking for a wartime Jefferson nickel short set (1942-45) wink.gif.

Yeah, adding a coin and pics at the same time would be really cool.

Also, what ever happened to the "updated" icon to let you know which coin was updated when a registrant makes a change. The icon is on the full set, but not at the detail level so you still can't see what a person has changed.

Thanks for all the hard work.

• Administrator

Yah, we never added the updated icon at the specific coin level. I agree that would be nice addition.

Arch

I'm not so sure the bugs are out of the new version. I entered three commems to my commem set a couple of days ago that I'd gotten from the Heritage Bullet sale. I received confirmation yesterday of one commem and one Morgan dollar being added. Well, the Morgan was wrong and I never received info on the third commem...sigh, at least one was right. So, I sent a note to Dena about what did and didn't happen correctly. Its not fixed yet, but I'm pretty confident that Dena will get it sorted out.

However...this shouldn't have happend to begin with - so, wassup? confused.gif

Well...I guess I shouldn't have spoken so fast. Even though I got the email that one of the halves was added to my commem set, NONE have shown up. So, you're new method is 0 for 3, with one correct notification, one incorrect notification, one missing notification, and no additions... confused.gif

• Administrator

Hmm... are those coins actually in your coin inventory under Add/Manage Coins, though?

IF a coin is added to the system in a slot for which it's not eligible, it will get registered, but it won't appear in that set - because it shouldn't.

So for instance, if I register a buffalo nickel in the first slot of my commemorative set, it will show up in my Add/Manage Coins screen, but will be rejected from that particular set. We actually have a replacement email for the one that gets sent out right now already coded that will tell you specifically if any of the registered coins made it or didn't make it into their intended set. I just have to get some copy written for it, but it's coming. Hopefully that would have / will add some clarity to the process.

In the meantime, the thing to do with your issue is this:

1) Confirm if they actually got registered even if they didn't make it into your set

2) Confirm that when they were registered they were correctly assigned their coin number

3) Confirm that the coin number they were assigned is actually valid and legal for the slot that you added it from

Arch

I just checked in the Add/Manage Coins section.

The '37 Boone Commem I entered is there, but it didn't make it to the Commem set. I also entered two other Commems at the same time: '37-S Texas and '35-D Arkansas and neither are there. All were added into the appropriate Commem set. But, a PCGS 1884-O Dollar that I didn't enter is there but it has the same cert number as the Arkansas Commem I entered!

Looking at View Pending Additions shows nothing pending.

• Administrator

Your issue is specific to your coins rather than the system. Dena is contacting you on this, I believe.

Arch

Where are the Sacagawea Dollars? I am trying to build a registry set for Sacs, but the last set listed under dollars is the Susan B. Anthony dollar. Am I missing something?

• Administrator

Mmm, I don't think that set has been defined yet. We still add new sets on a regular to semi-regular basis.

Arch

What do you mean the set hasn't been defined yet. It's 6 coins for the business strikes and 3 for the proof. Each coin should have the point value of 1. There are no rare coins in this set.