• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1800 and 1871 dollars

20 posts in this topic

Compare your 1800 dollar with one that is authentic. As far as 1871-S Trade Dollars, I don't believe any were minted. Yours appears to be a fantasy piece.

1800_silver_dollar_b16_obv.jpgf_1800m_dec8f96.jpg

1800_silver_dollar_b16_rev.jpgf_1800bm_6bb612d.jpg

f_1871m_b3b8ebb.jpg

f_1871bm_dd9596e.jpg

Sorry, but both coins are counterfeits.

The 1800 Bust Dollar isn't even close. It took me 1 second to spot that one.

The Trade Dollar took about 10 seconds. It's the kind of quality that I saw on the Chinese counterfeits that were shown at the FUN seminar on this problem.

And oh yea, the U.S. mint system did not make any Trade Dollars in 1871. The series started in 1873. :boo:

Another easy way to determine their counterfeit status is the extreme doubling all over the bust dollar. And everyone else is correct that the trade dollars began being struck in 1873, and there were no dollars minted in San Fransisco at all in 1871.

I have these 2 but I doubt they are original..I didn't send any for verification yet..but do you have some opinions about it? Counterfeit or not?

f_1800m_dec8f96.jpg

f_1800bm_6bb612d.jpg

f_1871m_b3b8ebb.jpg

>

Let me guess - Ebay from China ??

LTP they can have value as a teaching tool. Try finding someone interested in counterfeit coins, there are people out there. In fact, I had a friend who collected such pieces and after finding a counterfeit lincoln cent (yes a cent, common date memorial too) I sold it to him for $20, much more than the $3 I knowingly paid. You could try posting on the boards, you could try eBay, but be sure you list it as NOT GENUINE or COUNTERFEIT as a start, and offer a return policy. Might get $15 a piece if you get lucky.

Best,

L1ncolnF4n

I didn't buy those from eBay, just from a local flea market where there were hundreds of coins. Paid like 3$ for each.

Thx Li1ncolF4n , I'll probably post them on eBay. I kinda like that 1800 one as it has double letters, never seen one like that before :)

yes just a bad joke sorry

unfortunately both are no brainer fakes

interestinh though it will gewt more scary aS THE C9OUNTERFEITERS PERFECT THEIR CRAFT

Whoever made the 1800 dollar was definitely "in training". The 1871 is a bit more convincing...but isn't there a small problem with the date...like...none were minted until 1873...another trainee....