• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SEGS 1795 dollar ...the Continuing Saga

276 posts in this topic

No answer at SEGS today so I called Mr. Briggs' home (I assume). Don't know who I spoke to but he was very friendly and said he would relay a message to Larry Briggs and took my phone number.

I appreciate the posting of the phone number. I still feel that this just got buried somewhere but I'll know more when (if) I get a return call, either from SEGS or Mr. Briggs.

As always, I'll keep you posted.

RI AL...moving into slightly more "aggressive mode" but still confident that all will work out.

I still feel that this just got buried somewhere but I'll know more when (if) I get a return call, either from SEGS or Mr. Briggs.

That is the last thing that they (or you) should allow to happen, under the circumstances. And if you don't receive a satisfactory reply very soon, I would suggest sending a certified letter, recapping the facts, specific time line, how you have have been ignored, etc., and telling them that you will be contacting Coin World and others regarding this matter.

I still feel that this just got buried somewhere but I'll know more when (if) I get a return call, either from SEGS or Mr. Briggs.

That is the last thing that they (or you) should allow to happen, under the circumstances. And if you don't receive a satisfactory reply very soon, I would suggest sending a certified letter, recapping the facts, specific time line, how you have have been ignored, etc., and telling them that you will be contacting Coin World and others regarding this matter.

(thumbs u

Yes, I did call SEGS today but got no answer. Maybe I caught them at lunchtime. I'll wait to hear from Mr. Briggs himself I hope. Mark Feld, I hope it doesn't get to the point where I have to take such aggressive action. When this is resolved, I bet I'll be very satisfied with the results...it's just the not knowing that is a little tough. Still, I will keep your post in mind. One of my best coins is "out there somewhere" but it will reappear, I'm sure.

RI AL 1 step at a time...let's see if I get a return call from Mr. Briggs. I will post immediately when I do.

Yes, I did call SEGS today but got no answer. Maybe I caught them at lunchtime. I'll wait to hear from Mr. Briggs himself I hope. Mark Feld, I hope it doesn't get to the point where I have to take such aggressive action. When this is resolved, I bet I'll be very satisfied with the results...it's just the not knowing that is a little tough. Still, I will keep your post in mind. One of my best coins is "out there somewhere" but it will reappear, I'm sure.

RI AL 1 step at a time...let's see if I get a return call from Mr. Briggs. I will post immediately when I do.

I don't understand why you would post again here, but not call them back again, when you have been told that they are in today. That said, ultimately, how you handle it is your choice.

What number are you calling? Took two rings to get an answer. Call 1-888-768-7261. If that doesn't work, fax them at 1-423-510-8312 and ask for a return call ASAP.

I agree with Mark, RI Al. You're being way too generous with these guys. Call them, and call them again constantly until you get an answer. It's been too long.

Thanks for the swift kick in the pants guys.Your support on this means a lot. I want to wait to see if Larry Briggs returns my call. Figure I should give him a day or 2. If not, then it's back to calling SEGS and if that isn't productive, I may have to turn into RI AL the BAST---. I can do that so well. For some reason, I'm not worried about losing the coin, especially since I have all the documentation and with Larry's reputation. All I want to know is what's happening. If I got a progress report saying he was having it re-examined or sent it off somewhere for authentication, that's all I need. I mean...it's not like I need it right now, but if the Florida house purchase goes through, a bit of extra cash that the coin would hopefully bring would make life a bit easier, especially since we may not have tenants in it right away...if the sale goes through. These "short sale" deals are "interesting".

You will be kept up to date step by step. I WILL call SEGS on Monday if I don't get a return call from Larry by then. I figure they are closed now and I haven't given Larry enough time to get the message and return the call. I just called earlier today.

As the drama unfolds...maybe we should start a betting pool

Will Larry call me,

Will the coin arrive,

Will SEGS take action,

Is it a lost cause and I'll have to roll out the big guns,

Personally I'll put $10 on #1 and 2, but time will tell.

RI AL...still not worried...but getting a little queasy. ????

I WILL call SEGS on Monday if I don't get a return call from Larry by then. I figure they are closed now and I haven't given Larry enough time to get the message and return the call. I just called earlier today.
You sound as if they have had the coin for only a day or two, as opposed to over a month. You also appear to be in denial regarding how you have been ignored for so long.

I will not be posting again to this thread, but will wish you the best of luck in getting this resolved.

Point taken, Mark.

My Mr. Nice Guy is running a bit thin...but I like to give him the benefit of the doubt...if I don't get a call back from Mr. Briggs, I will know that something is amiss.

Slightly related, on our Florida trip with my brother and sister-in-law, we spent 4 nights on Sanibel Island. "Cottage" was $345 a night...which I almost choked on...especially since the bathroom was full of mold and midew (Kidney transplant people have to be careful of this stuff) and a large palmetto bug visited my wife in the middle of the night. It's SO much fun hearing a schreek in the middle of the night. Anyway, when we got home to RI, I sent a strongly worded letter and included tthe photos I took. Within 2 days the hotel refunded 50% of the bill and apologised profusely.

THAT is the kid of service I expect, and that is why this issue is such a mystery. We have a man with an excellent reputation and great knowledge in his field, but yet something like this comes up and it all is at risk of trickeling down the drain. If no reply by Monday, that will be the watershed day and I'll whip out my "scathing letter" skills and write a beauty. I mean, this coin is nothing compared to the material he deals with all the time...I can't imagine what the holdup could be. It certainly isn't a piece he would find worthy of his collection or to sell to a client. Monday...we'll see what happens by then.

Mark, sorry you feel angered by this thread and my gentle approach to the issue. I felt that ruffling feathers would not be an appropriate action, since Mr. Briggs was under no obligation to me to do much of anything. HE requested the coin be sent to him and I viewed this as a very professional gesture. I felt it unwise to irritate him as I thought he was doing me a kindness, which he may still be doing. But why the holdup without a word...I just don't get it. This issue won't go away...I won't let it...but how far it will go into the realm of unpleasantness has yet to be determined. Mark, you would never treat a client like this and your opinion IS very much respected. Even if you don't post here, I would be really pleased if you would follow the progress and see it through to the resolution.

RI AL

I just don't see him changing his mind from his first opinion/evaluation of the coin.

I still predict you will receive the coin back in the SEGS holder.

I also think there is a good chance PCGS simply got it wrong and SEGS is correct.

The uncertainty though over a 5K coin can be un-nerving though I'd imagine.

Would you then send it to NGC for their assessment?

Thanks, guys. Yup...unnerving is a good term to describe this situation. If Mr. Briggs was unconcerned or uninterested in the coin and this problem, he never would have requested that I send the coin to him. I view his request as a distinctly positive gesture on his part, a great courtesy and very professional as well.

Why my calls aren't rerturned, e-mails unanswered and the approximate 5 week wait with no word is what confuses me. I'm thinking that perhaps this issue was given to someone else at SEGS to investigate and maybe that person just dropped the ball...or at least misplaced it. Who knows. I'll give SEGS another call today but perhaps I will get a return call from Mr. Briggs today as I called him only yesterday.

Onward and upward. When this is all resolved, I am confident that the results will be positive and professionally handled. It's this interim period of "not knowing" what may have happened to it that is a bit frustrating. That coin is probably my most valuable piece as well as a personal favorite and a coin that I saved for and hunted for for quite a while. I'll be glad when this is resolved, whether with a possible replacement, a buyout or with a 100% assurance of originality. As it stands now, if I got the coin back "as is" I could never market it in good conscience. I have full faith in Mr. Briggs to bring this to a satisfactory close. I will of course monitor this very closely and continue to get it resolved.

Have a good day, everyone. RI AL

professionally handled. It's this interim period of "not knowing" what may have happened to it that is a bit frustrating

This is what gets myself and Mark un-nerved is this it is NOT being professionally handled and the "NOT KNOWING" part is very "Unprofessional" in of itself.

You should have been informed on every step of the process being taken to resolve this issue.

"The Receipt of Item"

"THE PRESIDENTIAL REVIEW" - I would assume Mr Briggs

"The pulling in of outside experts" - PCGS / NGC / ICG / ANACS

and Status of this process and time frames to complete said process.

Your a nice guy Al but you know what they say about nice guys ...

Good Luck

Yes, yes, yes and yes. I fully agree. BUT...and it's a BIG BUT, I view Mr. Brigg's interest as a professional favor. Something about, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" comes to mind.

RI AL...in hot persuit...well...at least luke warm...but I'm stoking up the furnace!

Hello Folks----- I've been sending a few PM's to Alan. Like most of you, I find him to be what appears to be a nice old guy----a semi--retired teacher by trade.

His approach is one of being generous to others. Sort of like he opens himself up to getting that first 2 by 4 across the body. He wants the world to do what's right. I get the feeling that his students benefited a lot from his approach to life.

However, this 62 year old guy is more than somewhat "cynical"-----not trusting of others. This isn't because I don't like people. Or because I don't want to believe that inherently folks are basically good inside. In my 62 years on earth, I have witnessed some good things---NO---a lot of good things.

But, I distrust because I have seen a lot of "bad" too. In my lifetime, I've watched what I consider to be our "values" drop to dramatic lows in this country. Folks don't seem to mind "NOT" taking responsibility for their actions these days. They just plain lie about stuff and shove it under the rug----expecting others to then just let it go on by---absorb it within a crooked system----and MOVE ONWARD.

So, I side with Mike and Mark on this one. FAR TOO LONG in responding to the problem. FAR TOO LONG in communicating to Alan. And, at least to me, It DOES SMELL at least somewhat at this point in time. I told Alan how I feel about the whole affair.

But, I do think that Alan can be tenacious----not easily pulled asunder----TOUGH. In the end, I feel that he will achieve his goals HIS WAY. At least I hope for his comfort level that this occurs. As many, many folks have said over the years----"There is more than one way to skin a cat----or any other animal for that matter". In the end, although this human will remain a cynic---I think that Alan will get his problem solved one way or the other. I wish him well. Happy collecting to all of you folks. Bob [supertooth]

Yes, yes, yes and yes. I fully agree. BUT...and it's a BIG BUT, I view Mr. Brigg's interest as a professional favor. Something about, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" comes to mind.

RI AL...in hot persuit...well...at least luke warm...but I'm stoking up the furnace!

Al.. There is nothing about this that is a favor..

He is all business and you need to get a set when you deal with him.

I would be calling every 5 mins.

And don't take this the wrong way but quit posting about it till you talk to him.

I find this disturbing ...

"The grades, designations, and authentication assigned to coins by the SEGS numismatic staff are the result of practical, applied, working knowledge representing years of experience among professionals in a dynamic market. Neither SEGS nor any of its employees nor any of its consultants assume liability, express or implied, for grades, designations, or authentication assigned to a coin other than the customer's right to have the coin re-examined by SEGS within a six month period.. After six months have passed, SEGS assumes no liability. "

I would assume that AL had this coin longer than the 6 months discussed ??

Good To hear from you Bob (supertooth)

"The grades, designations, and authentication assigned to coins by the SEGS numismatic staff are the result of practical, applied, working knowledge representing years of experience among professionals in a dynamic market. Neither SEGS nor any of its employees nor any of its consultants assume liability, express or implied, for grades, designations, or authentication assigned to a coin other than the customer's right to have the coin re-examined by SEGS within a six month period.. After six months have passed, SEGS assumes no liability. "

Al, it looks like SEGS has a way out of honoring their word/opinion/guarantee. It has been much too long and it seems that they are jacking you over. Continue to be nice, however, but, starting on Monday, call the suckers every 30 minutes until you either get the coin or the guarantee. File a complaint with the BBB, the ANA and with any other professional body you can find. Then, assuming that they didn't crack the coin out of its holder, sell it on ebay. I can see your conscience cringe at this but list it as a SEGS authenticated coin. PCGS could very well have been wrong anyway. Do not eat the price of the coin! And, from now on, never buy a rare coin outside of the big three holders and don't crack 'em either. Gives us an update on Monday and hopefully you'll have some good news to share.

The only complaint anyone has against SEGS, right now, is the lack of courtesy and contact.

There is NO complaint of authenticity as SEGS has made one determination, so far, and PCGS another.

The BBB would (probably) not handle the case at this point as there is NO fraud involved, only a lack of civility.

That may very well change, and quickly too, but for now, that is the only complaint that could be lodged against SEGS unless I'm missing something.

_______

An added thought:

How about we give Larry Briggs the same common decency many here afforded the seller of that what appeared to be altered 1877 Indian cent?

Again, right now we don't know what SEGS is doing- could be the coin has been sent out to a disinterested third party expert for their assessment. Could be.

All we can rightly accuse SEGS of doing is not providing decent communications. That's a biggie, no doubt, but to taint the name of Larry as if right now there are other indiscretions is bogus.

I know you guys are getting sick of this...maybe I should just shut up until I get this taken care of and then post the good news. Something to consider.

Regarding SEGS having an "out", well, I knew that all along when I read their policies after getting the coin back from PCGS. That's why I was SO pleased that when I faxed SEGS, Larry requested to see the coin. I thought that for sure some good would come of it...and it might still. But, favor or not, I have an expensive coin out there somewhere and at LEAST I would like to know what is happening.

I am VERY tenacious and I know how to pull in all the troops...done it many times in community issues here in the corruption capital of America. What is holding me back is quite simply...Larry is doing me a kind favor. It would be most inappriopriate for me to say, "Gee, Larry...thanks for the offer to help...could you just keep me informed and hurry the HELL up?"

SEGS gets call #4 this afternoon (just need to go to the P.O. to make sure the coin isn't there). In a PM just read a few minutes ago, I received an excellent suggestion to contact a board of professional numismatists whose goal it is to maintain ethics in the hobby. I'm starting to think that I have nothing to lose but still nagging at me is that this whole thing is really the results of a favor that has gone a bit overtime. Like I said in an earlier post...the old "gift horse" line.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for putting up with me and my Bit----- about this. I won't quit until it's resolved, and everyone's input is taken to heart and very motivating to get this over and done with. I hope I don't wind up with the coin back in the same slab with no answers, but if that's the case...maybe I'll just submit it to NCS for their opinion.

Thanks for the support. I'll post when I get some good news...it might take a while but I maintain my faith in the integrity of Mr. Briggs. I just wish SOMEONE would give me some information about my 1795!

Ri AL...dialing SEGS as soon as I check the P.O.

Maybe I'm the only one thinking this way, but...

I think you're handling it correctly, and calling on occasion to get information is certainly the right thing to do. However, calling every 30 minutes might just p1ss them off, and perhaps they could wiggle out of anything, considering their rather "cloudy" guarentee. Treating them respectfully will probably get you further, and, if not, there is plenty of time then to go ballistic,

"you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar"

Then again, them flies sure do tend to respond to !

Unless something earthshattering comes up, I won't irritate you guys any more by posting on this subject. When the conclusion to this episode is reached, I will post again. Fingers crossed here and yet again, thank you ALL for your help and support!!! :golfclap:

RI AL

RI AL,

I am posting this on Larry Briggs' behalf. For everyone's information, Larry has been ill for a few months and, combined with a few other issues, he was not able to call you right away.

The good news is that Larry will call you this weekend. He is well aware of the situation and says he WILL do whatever it takes to make it right. So, as you stated, he is a man of integrity. Those of us who know Larry already knew this, but thanks for handling the issue so well.

Best regards,

Dennis