• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SEGS 1795 dollar ...the Continuing Saga

276 posts in this topic

Hey, guys.

Not 10 minutes ago I received a call from SEGS. Not Mr. Briggs himself but that is understandable. Anyway, the call was from Mr Brigg's secretary who called on his behalf. I was advised that I should return the coin to SEGS for re-evaluation and appropriate measures will be taken.

Well, this is very encouraging. It hasn't arrived back from PCGS yet...maybe tomorrow...but I thank you guys for suggesting making contact with Mr. Briggs and I am impressed with how promptly he replied to my inquiry, sent yesterday afternoon.

I'm getting a good feeling, but time will tell. Of course, details will follow here as they develop.

RI Al....hopeful :wishluck:

Al, I believe that you diminish your own previous threads when you start new ones in continuation of the same topic. Much of the discussion/information is diverted, watered down or lost when multiple threads are involved.

I think that is wise advice for threads that run to a moderate length. BUT when I see a thread when there are more than say 10 pages, I usually don't bother with it. My reasoning is that there is already some much in the thread that anything I might say will only be lost in the shuffle.

That is usualy not a problem here, but across the street threads can go on for 60 or 70 pages. I don't even bother to open them.

No update on the 1795 SEGS dollar sent to PCGS and labeled "Not Genuine". It was shipped back to me on February 20 but hasn't arrived yet. It''s in transit somewhere but I have no tracking number. Not worried...it will be here in a few days I'm sure, then off to Mr Larry Briggs it will go.

RI Al

A real eye opener - even a TPG can be fooled (but of course SEGS is not one of the major 4).

But it is still up in the air as to which TPG was fooled. What if it comes back from SEGS again as being OK? Who's wrong?

We know coins have come back from PCGS before that were body bagged which were then slabbed, even at high levels, when resubmitted. I can't recall if anything that was called fake ever got slabbed subsequently, but who knows. It has been mentioned that the color looks off, similar to that of the Chinese fakes. What if PCGS simply saw the color and bagged it without further examination?

I personally think that PCGS didn't want to grade the coin or were unsure if it would being in a SEGS holder. I think PCGS was afraid of cracking it out of its holder!!

If SEGS say it is fine I would crack it out of the holder and resubmit the coin.

Surprisingly, if it is a contemporary counterfeit, and as it "may" well be having faked out SEGS and was purchased by you a decade ago, it may very well be worth about what you paid anyway to a collector of this material.

No SEGS 1795 dollar in the mail today. I'm starting to get a bit worried. When I punch in the tracking number, all it tells me is that it left California on February 20. Maybe it's coming to Rhode Island via Zimbabwe because there is no other mention of any stops along the way. Should I stop worrying? At least it's well insured...just in case... :o

RI Al

i am in ny state and it regularly takes me 12-16 days to get registered mail to and from cali

they got 30 days to deliver it and then you can make an inquiry

personally you are worrying way to much over something that just takes 2 weeks or thereabouts to get to you

good luck with it when you get it and send to larry briggs

If it was Registered Mail, then it will be slow, and probably won't show in the USPS computer until it arrives - their "tracking" system is a good topic for another thread.

February 28 update. The SEGS 1795 dollar arrived back today from PCGS. They DID leave it in the original SEGS holder and rubber banded on the slab a flip with "not genuine" in the pocket. Needless to say, I was relieved it arrived safely (I have always been a worrier) and that PCGS left it in the original holder as some of you guys said they would.

Within 1/2 hour, I had it repacked and since I had my cover letter prewritten to Larry Briggs and copies of the PCGS paperwork copied, I popped it all into a priority mail mailer, registered it at the P.O. and it's on it's way back to SEGS. Now the story should really get interesting.

Updates to follow as they develop.

RI AL

How long have you had this coin ? Where did you buy it and for how much ?
He answered these questions on another thread.

I believe he stated he's owned it ten years and he paid almost $1,300.00 for it back then.

Mark T

I purchased the coin on E-Bay (gee...ya' think) at least 10 years ago and somewhere I kept the receipt but I believe I paid over $1300 for it then. Might have been more...can't remember and I have a zillion receipts from just about every coin I ever bought.

You can count on it, Michael.

Ri AL 8-14" of snow tonight and tomorrow...guess I won't be sub-teaching at the high school tomorrow.

Nothing new to report on the 1795 dollar being "not genuine" according to PCGS. I promised I would keep you posted with all developments...except there aren't any...

I'm really quite curious as to which direction this will go. Mr. Briggs was quite gracious in requesting to see the coin and it was sent out to him just 6 days ago, so it's very early.

Watch here for future developments...

Ri Al ... biting nails

Still no news on the 1795 dollar epic. I did send an e-mail to SEGS advising them I will be out of touch during the Florida trip and got a "receipt" for the e-mail. So, the wait continues but I feel somehow that this will work out OK.

RI AL

For those of you who are following this thread, there still is no word on what is happening with the 1795 dollar SEGS VF that PCGS would not crossover and called it "not genuine". I as hoping that I would have heard something by now...but I'm patient. Not worried at all about the coin being sent off to Mr. Briggs. I'm quite sure he has far bigger fish to fry.

:signofftopic:Off to meet with the financial planner today...Speaking of "what to invest in"...in our Florida trip, we found a house in West Palm that we are thinking of buying for our retirement, and renting it out until then, about 4 or 5 years before my wife wants to retire. Me...I'm already there. (retired...not in West Palm Beach). We would then sell our RI home. We are hoping that real estate in 5 years will have been a better investment than gold or coins...but I still have faith in the stock market. If my math is right, it is up about 12% since the end of February but still way below our bail out point of 12000. Anyway, dealing with real estate agents, property managers, banks in Florida from here in RI is a trip and a half! We'll fly down again if it gets to that point. To complicate things... the present tenants will not allow anyone in to view the property. We have photos and my brother and sister-in-law live right next door. The tenants didn't know that the house was on the market as a "short sale". I guess I would be a bit peeved too if I didn't know that house I was renting was for sale. We can't tell them that we would like them to STAY in the house for several more years, rent will almost cover the expenses to us...violation of some code of ethics or something...stressed to the max about this but maybe our planner will tell us today, "DON'T DO IT"! We'll see.

Hope everyone is well. I've been off the boards for a while and miss the fun here. Just have a lot of stuff going on. I'll get caught up and hopefully will reappear.

All the best from RI AL