• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capped Bust Half Collection to be auctioned

42 posts in this topic

This is a really cute little group that I'm also auctioning this month thru BM.

I really wanted to have all three of these particular die marriages, and believe me, it wasn't easy, even in this grade level. The Broken three, I purchased from Di ck Osburn, raw, while in Baltimore last year. The Patched 3, I purchased from Premium Numismatics, and the Ugly 3, I found at a Heritage auction.

They are all good coins. Nothing screwy going on. Hard to find like this.

The 1823 broken three O-101 Rarity 3, PCGS XF40

a solid coin.

3348658263_e8ff5a3202.jpg

3349488516_f0c4e80d6b.jpg

LOT 1011 ************

The 1823 patched 3 O-101a Rarity 1 PCGS XF45

beautiful periphery

solid coin

The 1823 has some rather interesting die marriages,

this was a period of time

where Scot was ill and died in the latter part of 1823,

and Kneass was not yet the engraver.

The situation in the Mint must have been untenable, and while one of the

stories explaining the patched three was that the die punch for the 3, broke,

and was later patched. Souders suggests differently, however, and offers the

thought that the 3 punch was basically unfinished, believed to provide what they needed, and later found out to not provide what they wanted

when they saw that the 3 was essentially 'broken' in the finished product.

The result of this was to 'patch' the 3, and thus we have this particular coin, the 'patched 3'.

3349488588_a94e7cb82b.jpg

3349488674_49565c86b3.jpg

LOT 1012 ************

The 1823 UGLY 3 Overton 110a Rarity 3

Another wholly original untouched well struck and solid coin

PCGS XF40

OK, the story of the UGLY 3 is this (per Souders). A die crack formed in the die, traversing the 3 causing die chips and therefore, the UGLY 3. Not a reworked 3 that just looks ugly.

3349488740_7da97f0976.jpg

3349488846_4974171460.jpg

LOT 1014 **********

If you would like a BM catalogue for the Baltimore auction this March (which also contains the coins I'm auctioning off ehem) BM tells me they will send an auction catalogue to anyone whose name I send to them.

So, if you don't already have a catalogue and want one, PM your name and address to me, and I'll phone it in.

Another amazing coin being auctioned via Bower's and Merena this month, the 1823/numerous

or 1824/various

1824 Over Various Dates O-103

Souders calls this one of the strangest overdates in all of numismatics, ranks it 8th in the mintages of Bust Half overdates, and estimates 900-1000 extant.

I love this coin. Great original looking patina, wonderfully odd overdate.

Now, I don't care much for getting picky about grades, especially regarding Busties, because both their beauty and difficulty in acquiring nice specimens, obviates grade consideration. Just my opinion. In fact, I've been buying some F-VF Busties, and I'm finding them even more interesting and difficult to find than higher end coins.

With this grade, PCGS 53, they are simply wrong. Why do I make such a strong statement? The reason for this is that Busties have their own peculiarities that affect the actual grading of the coin. This particular overdate is generally poorly struck, mostly due to the serial lapping that these dies underwent. In consideration of this, seriously, this is a 55 at least. And I point this out because the third party graders are not infallible, and ultimately, it's the collector, who determines the grade of their coin. No one knows more than the collector. Also, there are political and economic reasons for how third party graders, grade the coins. No one should forget that. I think this is a speech on collector empowerment!

3354102809_3ce135c5c1.jpg

3354923086_b66e0584cf.jpg

3354923000_bafd23cb37.jpg

The coins is absolutely gorgeous, with a slight double profile as well. Amazing coin.

LOT 1015******************

Gosh, I've never been successful with live internet bidding, there's always something technically wrong, like I go to press the button, and they're already five lots ahead and my bid never registered.

If anyone wants a Bower's and Merena Catologue for this auction, just PM me with your name and address

My policy is never to cross a coin that is in an old NGC fatty holder. I think they look great, and there's just something special about it (even though the rumor is that they would probably upgrade a point).

This 1826...well...it's in an old fatty holder graded NGC AU55, and..why...I'm not even going to describe it! This coin is so darn spectacular that it will speak for itself. I bought this coin from Dave Wnuck (Coinraritiesonline.com) and hope he doesn't mind my using his photos.

3356616186_d8e681a4bd.jpg

3356616272_7d6a3db4b6.jpg

LOT 1018********

If you don't already have a Bower's and Meren Catalogue, I can still get one out to you. Just PM me your name and address, and I'll let them know

The 1827 curled base 2 in PCGS AU 58

How can I describe one of the most beautifully original and most difficult to find Bust Halves?

I cannot tell you how long it took me to find this curled base two. You just don't see them. AND I have never, ever, seen one as stupendous as this.

This is from the Premium Collection of Capped Bust Halves via Bower's and Merena.

3363252788_e425d6e1e7.jpg

3363252826_d75d736400.jpg

LOT 1022 **********

It's still not too late to get the Bower's and Merena Catalogue for the Baltimore auction this month (the 26th). If you want one, just PM me.

The 1828's have always fascinated me. There are quite a few to collect, Curled base 2's, square base 2's, curled base with knob, square base large 8, square base small 8 with small letters and square base with small 8 and large letters.

I only obtained three of the above for my collection, all great specimens I was really proud to own, and also difficult to part with.

I'll start with the most difficult to find, and that is the 1828 curled 2 with knob, Overton 106 which is a Rarity 4.. Graded PCGS AU55.

and cannot tell you how long I've been searching for this coin.

There's also a story I cannot tell fully, but I bought one (I think it was a pcgs 58) and returned it the same day, complicated reasons having nothing to do with the coin. Then, I found this one on the Premium coins web site, and now it's here.

NGC's only graded 9 so far, and only 2 of those are above AU55, PCGS has 50 recorded in total, with only 10 in AU55, and only 15 higher. Very very likely with multiple submissions skewing this number (for whatever it's worth). Then, finding one unhairlined, naturally toned, unstripped and un-molested in any way is close to impossible.

I'm amazed at how minimal Bower and Merena's description is for such an incredible coin, but then, a Bust Half Collector would defnitely know. .

This is a very handsome coin and WHOLLY original.

No hairlines, no hazing, gorgeous thick skin.

Exceptional strike, exceptional surfaces.

3365654040_dd6068797a.jpg

3365654116_f355843743.jpg

LOT 1024 *************

Next, is an exceptionally beautiful, wholly natural, gorgeously toned with lovely underlying luster, 1828 square base 2 large 8 (Overton 108) graded NGC 58 in an Old Fatty holder (which I love).

The coin is absolutely stunning!

3365654272_99d41e5f28.jpg

3364832877_43c9f272fe.jpg

LOT 1025*************

Last but certainly not least, is a PCGS 62 1828 with the curled base (crossed from an NGC MS63 holder). The coin is amazing, which is why I bought it. Wonderful Mint Frost. When do you see this on a Bust Half???? It's like it came right off the press. Also, it is a TRUE MS and not an over-fabricated AU58. IN fact, NONE of the MS coins in my collection can be confused with AU58, and if anything, there are several AU58's that never saw circulation. So there you have it.

This coin must have been dipped at one point, but obviously, properly dipped, meaning; the die flow lines did not dissolve away. In fact, the mint frost was preserved, and for this alone, the coin is amazing. It's also developed a nice skin over time. It is not hazed.

3364832709_a8c800229c.jpg

3364832761_0a52516198.jpg

LOT 1023*****************

The 1830 large 0 was a very evasive coin for me. When I finally found one, as is often the case, suddenly their popping up all over the marketplace. This has hppened to me with a few coins. You wonder why.

Try to find a decent one.

Only one PCGS AU58 is listed as being auctioned by Heritage since 1996

even though PCGS has 45 as being holdered (numbers of course skewed by resubmissions) and only 225 of the 1830 large 0 being holdered altogether, as opposed to 1,210 for the small O variety, so skewed or not, the difference is significant.

I wish I had the coin in hand now, because I'd rephotograph if. Here is where I think BM actually did a better job with the photography.

The coin is magnificent, wholly original and un-fooled with in any way.

The color is gorgeous,centrally dove grey patination with brown, terminating peripherally with a golden brown/crimson iridescence.

3364833141_c2f99a4b31.jpg

3364833053_1173c40d83.jpg

LOT 1030 ********

The 1830 small O is relatively common, if you can call any Bust Half 'common' compared to many other types of popular collectible coins. Again, finding a special one is no mean task. Finding a true mint state in the lower mint state grades (i.e., MS 62-64) is in itself daunting.

I originally purchased this coin from Premium Numismatics and I believe it may have belonged once to another board member here.

The coin sports a nice double profile, extremely clean un-fooled with surfaces for the grade, and a natural rose/lavender grey center, extending peripherally into a golden blue/grey. Incredibly sharp strike and Satiny luster.

The coin is ex-Prouty.

A lovely coin.

And no, you will not have an easy time finding anything near this quality.

3364833195_ce76a10949.jpg

3365654726_04bccfd89d.jpg

LOT 1028************

I'm always amazed at how much I paid for this 1829/7, and what I see them going for at auction, which is scary, considering this one will find a new owner in just a few days now.

Oh...what amazes me is that I paid such a premium over what I see going on with the major auction firms. Did I pay too much??? I don't think so.

The photos I have here are while it was in its NGC holder, before crossing as the AU58 that it is, to PCGS. I like the PCGS holders a lot better than NGC, except for the NGC old fatty holders. The optics are better with PCGS holders, and with my vision, a little bit can make a big difference.

Again, I wish these coins were still in my hands, because I would rephotograph this beauty, since what you see, is just a small part of it's glory.

The coin is well struck with gorgeous natural coloration consisting of pearl grey with varying shades of lavender and blue, terminating in golden brown iridescence, making for a very nice looking coin. And again, search through the auction archives and locate an AU58 like this one. Ha! Bet you can't find one!

I hope this finds a good home.

3365654390_21f18180b1.jpg

3365654472_a1e9ae24e3.jpg

LOT 1026***********

OK, the auction is this Thursday (26th) and my nerves are a little bit shot, worried about the whole 'economy' issue, and how the bidding will turn out.

I might as well try to finish off this post, since there's only two days left, and I'm not certain I'll be able to post again.

I want to show you the 1835 that I bought raw (I felt it was bordering on 64 but it holdered at PCGS 63, which is an appropriate grade if you consider it PQ). I honestly wish I could buy all my coins raw, but I haven't had the opportunity to examine that many raw mint state Busties. I have no fear buying a Bustie raw.

I was at the Stamford show when CAC was offering to take groups of coins...Iforget the number...like 12 or 15, and evaluate them for free. I think I had about a dozen coins with me at the time, and, since the opporutunity was there, I handed them in. They all came out CAC stickered, for whatever tha'ts worth, and I think, only one of these ended up in auction, and this is the one. When I put it down on the table while signing up for the eval, someone looked down at it and said "What a beautiful coin".

I think that tells it all.

3375158301_547f3530b7.jpg

3375158389_8f936a0a82.jpg

and here are the edges, since I had the opportunity to photograph them before being holdered. A neat thing to have for anyone here who might capture this coin on Thursday.

Mind you, the later 'common dates' of the Capped Bust Half Series are EXTRAORDINARILY DIFFICULT to find with 'the look'.

3375976860_3b2f78999f.jpg

LOT 1049***************

Good luck! I really wish I could afford some of your stuff, but I got laid off Monday so I have no money for coins right now and will probably be selling off some of mine as well.