• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1817 Bust Half Dollar

10 posts in this topic

I've had this coin for a while and debating about whether its worth sending it to a third party grading service. I am curious about what others think about the potential grade, which might help me in making a decision.

Also, I am not sure if this reflects the 181.7 puncutated date or not. I've heard that the letter "I" in "AMERICA", is slight off for that type of Overton.

Any comments would be appreciated.

73511.jpg.36bdaf2637650e9683b410b0cdd405a1.jpg

73512.jpg.3c277fbd1235bf4aa2c5b8ef97b3afaa.jpg

Looks cleaned to me too.Maybe EF details. Too bad,cause it's in great shape.Not too many of these haven't been cleaned at some time.There is still a pretty good market for it and you can get it graded in a "details" holder from any of the grading companies.

i would not get it slabbed

and many that are slabbed are just as cleaned as this coin and i think in this current slabbing market the coin would get bagged at ngc and genuine holder at pcgs

but with some coins i have recently seen newly slabbed that no way should have ever made it into a holder............... i guess it is a shoot

you pays your money and you takes your chances and if the slab does not fit then you got to resubmit!!

also it is worth more out of the holder selling it to someone who does not understand the hairlines and sold as au more than likely this is why many dealers would do such is the wheel of the coin game it goes round and round

Details is a measure of wear. The coin is not a special variety, so I would just keep it raw. Maybe even put it in a Taco Bell napkin or something.

usually but not all of the time but usually and also with allthe services when in grading someone says vf details that means there is a problem with the coin

vf details cleaned

were if the coin was mostly problem free it would be vf or vf 20 25 30 35 etc with grading services