• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1953 S Franklin

20 posts in this topic

Its a solid 65 at least, no doubt about that. It has a good strike, but not enough to qualify for the FBL status. The thing about S mint Franklins is that they were generally very well handled, but not very well struck. I bought my NGC 65 for $65 a couple of years ago - yours would probably be worth a good bit more than that for the near-FBL.

Well I sure do like it better than that full bell line thing they posted across the street which had about 100 fly specs on the obverse. They called that coin MS-65 full bell lines, and the lemmings couldn't get enough of it at some outrageous price. If you are going to collect Franklin half dollars, do yourself a favor and forget the full bell lines think. I think you will enjoy the hobby more in the long run. .

if above the ear would drop it, doesnt that mean the same marks on sholder would drop it more?
No... I believe it is as struck and saying that i think that even though the S minted Franklins are notorious for soft strikes this one is softer than the norm and the marks (or what appears to be marks) are actually on the original plantchet and weren't removed during the minting process...

insufficiant strike = no metal flow = no luster

BUT,,, I could be wrong as I have only seen the pic and haven't seen the coin.

BUT,BUT,,, If I only had those pics to judge the coin I would not give over BU money for it.

if above the ear would drop it, doesnt that mean the same marks on sholder would drop it more?
No... I believe it is as struck and saying that i think that even though the S minted Franklins are notorious for soft strikes this one is softer than the norm and the marks (or what appears to be marks) are actually on the original plantchet and weren't removed during the minting process...

BUT,BUT,,, If I only had those pics to judge the coin I would not give over BU money for it.

With the disclaimer that obviously I haven't seen it in hand, the marks above his ear, on his cheek, on his shoulders, and at the bottom of the bell are consistent with weak strikes. These areas are the highest points on the coin, and on softly struck coins, the metal did not flow to properly fill the high points. Thus, this is known as high point pitting - incomplete areas which show the little ticks and marks of the planchet. Significant pitting will limit a coin to 64, minor pitting is acceptable on a 65, and high point pitting is not allowed on a 66. S mint Franklins, notorious for their weak strikes, are often given more leniency on this issue. The place where this high point pitting is most damaging to the grade is on his cheek - and on this coin, there is actually not very much pitting. See the 1953S in my set for a far more severe example. I see nothing on this coin that would prevent a strong 65 grade, especially with the nice strike.

With the disclaimer that obviously I haven't seen it in hand, the marks above his ear, on his cheek, on his shoulders, and at the bottom of the bell are consistent with weak strikes. These areas are the highest points on the coin, and on softly struck coins, the metal did not flow to properly fill the high points. Thus, this is known as high point pitting - incomplete areas which show the little ticks and marks of the planchet. Significant pitting will limit a coin to 64, minor pitting is acceptable on a 65, and high point pitting is not allowed on a 66. S mint Franklins, notorious for their weak strikes, are often given more leniency on this issue. The place where this high point pitting is most damaging to the grade is on his cheek - and on this coin, there is actually not very much pitting. See the 1953S in my set for a far more severe example. I see nothing on this coin that would prevent a strong 65 grade, especially with the nice strike.

I personally have never seen a Franklin with that soft a strike reach a Gem grade..

Michael if you have one could you share it?

Instead of waiting for Michael I went to Heritage and looked through the archives and will now proceed with what I call the humbled stage...

what that entails is me sitting on my hands for whatever period of time (not to exceed 24 hrs) that michael feels is appropriate..

A PCGS MS 66

lf8.jpg

Instead of waiting for Michael I went to Heritage and looked through the archives and will now proceed with what I call the humbled stage...

what that entails is me sitting on my hands for whatever period of time (not to exceed 24 hrs) that michael feels is appropriate..

A PCGS MS 66

lf8.jpg

:signfunny:

Well, I'm not entirely sure which Michael you are referring to since none have posted to this thread, but I'm Jason and I would be more than happy to show you my Franklin. This is my 1953S, graded NGC 65. Link to my Registry entry. Notice the strike is worse than Dwaine's, although the marks are similar. This is the classic look for most S mint Franklins, as I mentioned previously - terribly struck but very well handled. Poor guy always looks bald.

140844-007O.jpg

140844-007R.jpg

Jason doh! I would apologize but I'm still sitting on my hands...

and my nose is begining to hurt..

Haha, not a problem. And careful with the smacking yourself there... may lead to brain damage.

A PCGS MS 66

lf8.jpg

Next you should look at the PCGS MS65FBL 1953-S coins on Heritage, and find one that has full bell lines. The $32,000 coin does, the others do not. Take note of what they sold for, too ;)