• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1892 Columbian Half

18 posts in this topic

This 1892 Columbian Half has proof-like mirror fields on the reverse and nice overall toning.

Any ideas of the grade?

(the circle in the center of the obverse is the camera reflected off the holder)

P1010068.jpg

P1010069.jpg

I tried to get a little better pict. Does it look more like this in hand? Still a rather small photo to attempt to copy. It appears to be a very decent original coin. (thumbs u

P1010068-1.jpgP1010069-1.jpg

P1010068-1-1.jpgP1010069-1-1.jpg

The toning on your "tweaked" pictures a little darker than the actual coin appears, but the details are there. It is quite the looker. I bought it off a coin dealer over 35 years ago, before there was a such thing as slabs and even the current day grading system. It was sold as a choice toned uncirculated. I'm going to try taking better pictures and post them later or Monday,

I don't think you would get the minute amount of hairlines this has from cleaning, but then I am not the expert. But cleaned, I doubt it.

It looks cleaned to me as well, I see a lot of hairlines. I guess it could be the holder though.

Maybe if you removed it from the holder and took some pictures of it?

It was out of the holder Ray.

You guys are correct, it does have scratches that I didn't see with the naked eye.

Maybe it was rubbed some time ago, but I can tell you it has looked like you see it for 35 years I have owned it.

But I stand corrected, I shouldn't ask you for your advice and then debate it.

After all, It is what it is.

My opinion is that the scratches are more a result of how it may have been stored or handled.

I think if it were cleaned the scratches would be consistent all over. No?

With your last pics I can see consistent hairlines that go from the fields and into the design. This , to me, indicates cleaning lines. Your last pics also indicate that these are only seen at certain angles. You may want to get a loupe and get the coin under a good light and just look at this coin at different angles and see what you can see. Even if the coin has been sitting for 35 yrs, it still could have been cleaned a long time ago and stored properly enough that your looking at it the way it was originally put away. Not uncommon for old coins like this.

Understood. I had a silver dollar given to me by an uncle. It was beautiful, with uncirculated details, but because he stored it wrapped in, what he thought was a soft tissue, it had tiny scratches all over it, and it was toned dark sepia. Could be the source of these scratches as well as cleaning perhaps.

(apparent gold toning is emphasized slightly by the incandescent light)

OR... seriously, the light was playing havoc with my photos.

But thank you for the expert opinions.

Bob