• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1879 O Morgan

8 posts in this topic

I don't know if it's the pics or what but something just doesn't look right about this Morgan. It looks washed out to me but the colors throwing me off also.

Good morning, Jake Blue.

Regarding your 1879 O Morgan, I would give her ax XF 45 for details.

The question, "will she pass muster" I think is where the problem lies. What I find most notable (other than the cheek marks which I believe are to be expected in these heavier coins), there appears to be a considerable number of rim nicks, most notable on the obverse left side of the coin, as well as scttered around the reverse. While I see no other significant marks or distractions, I think the rim problem is sufficient to limit the coin's potential. I agree with bsshog40's assessment of the color as well.

I am not sure what "pass muster" means in this context, but the 1879 O is not a rare issue and if you were considering certfication for the coin, I think that would be money better spent elsewhere. I don't think this coin would "pass muster" with the certification companies.

She can be appreciated for the beautiful design and the associated history, but as far as being a highly desireable coin, she falls a bit short.

RI AL

Will not grade because of damaged rims and scratches/gouges and

Washed out color

Mike

I agree. The rims alone would be enough to give this coin a body bag even if the date was worth the price of a slab.

This particular issue is not really worth slabbing in such condition, and the rim damage would almost certainly BB it. Toss it in a flip or a Dansco album if you've got one and call it a day.