• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1855 Australia 1 Sov

28 posts in this topic

Wish I had a better photo in a book to compare it to. Oh well..she looks pretty darned nice to me so I'll go with AU 55. Wish I had some of this "big ticket item" stuff. Damned nice!

RI AL

By U.S. grading standards the coin falls into the EF-AU category (i.e. EF-45 to AU-50). By European grading standards it's not better than EF. Some would try to call it VF, but that would be the usual buy it in a lower grade, sell it in a hirer grade game. :baiting:

Australian grade is VF.. it has light edge nick both sides and a nasty hit but also has some original bloom, and unlike many of these it does not have loads of big hits all over it. Many won't grade.

I think it will, and depending on the grading standards I am hoping for 45 :) old slabs it could be a 45, but I think it might be 40. I am also told it is more like PCGS VF35 they are very strict now

Many who saw it sait it was a very nice VF, but here it technically isn't gVF because it has a nick both sides, litle dig hits in the reverse field and through one of the letters of AUSTRALIA.. the wear is XF for sure :) glad to hear no "CLEANED, BB" and hope NGC agreed :D

For those not seeing the wear, parts of the "fillets" are joining at the back, more importantly at the front of the hair there is a large patch of wear and significant joining, this is the main point to check on these

I think you guys are way tough on your coins over in Aussie land... I honestly think this coin is XF at worst. A gorgeous example of a lightly circulated gold sov and rare at that! ;)

No cigar yet.. but I realised why. I chose internet imaged !

Mint state there are only a few known. there is an image around from KJC who were selling one last year or a bit longer so for only 95,000 AUD and cheaper the year before. I think its this one in the image. I wish I had the money I would have bought it !

Found it. Here is one of the finest 3 known

sm1.jpg

Just got this in my email :) woot

2755328001oub7.jpg2755328001rkx2.jpg

Pretty much as expected, the front bit of the hair is too worn for a 45. Very relieved to have one in a slab though.

I'm only seeing the reverse pic. :( So, what did she grade? From looking at the reverse picture only I would have called it a 35. Looks a lot more circulated from that pic than the original pictures.

I think you guys are way tough on your coins over in Aussie land... I honestly think this coin is XF at worst. A gorgeous example of a lightly circulated gold sov and rare at that! ;)

Foreign grading standards are tougher than U.S. standards.