• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For Those Who Just Ordered the UHR 2009 Saint-Gaudens ...

372 posts in this topic

I'm curious as to what time you ordered (EST) and the first 6 digits of your order number. I'm just trying to figure out how many folks ordered today (and I don't want all 8 digits because through the Mint's system then it's too easy for others to edit your order).

Mine was at about 12:45 EST and #308314--.

Oh wow - so in the 10 hrs since I ordered, that's 33,800 orders (assuming that they're consecutive, which I'm fairly sure they are). That's about 1 order per second.

Oh wow - so in the 10 hrs since I ordered, that's 33,800 orders (assuming that they're consecutive, which I'm fairly sure they are). That's about 1 order per second.
I don't know if it was correct or not, but I saw a comment from someone stating that the order numbers include other items, not just the UHR's. If that's the case, there's no way to tell how many have been ordered or at what rate.

I don't know if it was correct or not, but I saw a comment from someone stating that the order numbers include other items, not just the UHR's. If that's the case, there's no way to tell how many have been ordered or at what rate.

True. My estimate assumes that the majority of orders made today were for the UHR St. Notice that in my math, I did not specify that it was about 1 UHR St.-G per second, just 1 order per second (though I can see that it may seem I implied it). It may be a false premise, but I don't think there's any more reliable way to estimate this number.

Yeah I was gonna say LETS PLAY A GAME !! who has the lowest order. I was looking at numbers between me and friends working out how many sales the mint had. Thousands in only 20 minutes between mine (12.29) and the next ones only 20 minutes later

Mine is 308288** and I got in at about 12:29 as I say. My estimate was 20,000 coins in the time from 12:00 to when they changed to "backordered 6 Feb"

And of course this is all mint orders. Even my order which is cancellation of 1/10PF gold and reorder at lower price :P

But you can assume pretty much all the orders from about 12 to about 12:30 are gonna be UHR. 80% would be the minimum I would guess ! the site was working perfectly until 12, and then BOOM

Hmm 80% then I'm sticking with that. And 20k coins in the "first" batch :)

Good luck trying to figure this out. Don't forget they released the Kennedies yesterday as well so some people might have been placing orders for them as well.

AH its only rolls and half bags.. definitely people are not going to umm and arr about how many rolls of Kennedy's they want when there is a major release going on. 80-90% of those orders will be UHR. And best of all, being 1 per household we know 1 order = 1 coin

It took me about an hour and twenty minutes to get my order through. Fortunately I had other things to do at the computer while I waited for pages to load.

Order # 30839***

I would like one of these for my collection but I have already agreed to sell this one to John at Modern Coin Mart. I want one in OGP and don't care about and Early Release or First Strike designation. I'll take a small profit right away and pick up one to keep later. Hopefully I can catch a lull in the price of gold or the aftermarket premium will come down. If not, this isn't something that I can't live without.

I went on the website and you can still order them today....I thought for sure that

they would sell out right away!! I still don't understand why people are paying

$1600 for the coin on eBay. I believe people are just buying the UHR to turn

around and sell them. I almost bought one today and thought I would wait and see

if the price comes down!! I think $400 over spot is way to high.

I happy to all that choose to buy one now!!

There is no sell out because there is no limit on mintage. These will be made to order as long as the mint can get enough planchets. But with todays rise in the price of gold they are less than $300 over spot now.

In the Midst of Recession, U.S. Mint Releases $1,000 Coin

January 22, 2009 03:44 PM ET | Katy Marquardt | Permanent Link | Print

Admittedly, I don't know much about coins. But it seems odd that the U.S. Mint today released a 24-karat, one-ounce gold coin that's currently selling for more than $1,000 in its online catalogue.

This Sacramento Bee story claims that's affordable. It is gold, after all, and in collectors' eyes, it may be a steal. One commenter writes: "That's a pretty low price since most are expecting the spot price of gold +40%."

Here are the details: The 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin is a digitally reproduced version of an original piece minted in 1907. It features lady Liberty on one side, and a flying eagle on the other. According to the U.S. Mint, "it's considered by many to be the most beautiful coin ever produced in the United States."

It turns out that buying coins is becoming a popular way to invest in gold these days. According to this story, the demand for gold coins has been so high that in 2008, the Mint announced that all 2008 bullion coins--with the exception of two varieties--had been depleted.

What if gold was $1500 tomorrow ? how much would they be worth then ? would they continue selling them if gold continued to rise ?

I'm not taking the risk. Best case for us buyers is the above, no more sales and a low mintage. They would be worth a fortune..

I called the US Mint 5 times between 12:05 and 12:15 and kept getting a recording saying the call cannot be completed at this time. So, I went to the US Mint website at 12:16. The ordering process was jambed up and I finally got my order in at 12:55. My order number was 30845...

Hmm yeah that lines up pretty good with my numbers

Yours ***84,000 minus mine is another 55,000 orders or so.. in less than half an hour. Even if you say 50%, it shows why the backorder quickly went back from 28th Jan to 6th Feb

Read this yesterday about delays for orders on these.

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=6062

This came out the same days as the mint started selling the coins....if you go to the mints website you will see they are backordered. This is the case with everything the mints comes out with.

Ok, so I ordered at $1189.00

does this mean that is what I will get it at even if the price goes up?

When you bought it was it backordered if so the mint has been knowen to cancel orders.

I refreshed the site at 11:59, 11:59, 12:00 and BOOM it froze like a rock, but I did see "backorder 1/28" before anyone could conceivably have an order in, surely they aren't THAT fast (nor is their connection?)

Did anyone get ship date showing before 28th ? I don't think so. As I've posted, that lasted around 40 minutes.. anyone after that should show 6th Feb (and is at risk of the wait IMHO)

But I think the mint overestimated the number of orders a bit too, sure there has been a lot, but not hundreds of thousands. That would definitely cause 6-9 month wait, but 50,000 won't

I refreshed the site at 11:59, 11:59, 12:00 and BOOM it froze like a rock, but I did see "backorder 2/28" before anyone could conceivably have an order in, surely they aren't THAT fast (nor is their connection?)

Did anyone get ship date showing before 28th ? I don't think so. As I've posted, that lasted around 40 minutes.. anyone after that should show 6th Feb (and is at risk of the wait IMHO)

But I think the mint overestimated the number of orders a bit too, sure there has been a lot, but not hundreds of thousands. That would definitely cause 6-9 month wait, but 50,000 won't

hm I saw 1/28. (shrug)

Ship to: Irvin

Order Process Date: 1/22/09

Merchandise : 1189.00

Freight . . . : 4.95

Total . . : 1193.95

1. 2009 ULTRA HIGH RELIEF GOLD COIN (UH1)

Qty 1 @ $1189.00 - Backordered 01/28/09.

2. 2009 ULTRA HIGH RELIEF GOLD COIN BOOK (UH3)

Qty 1 @ $.00 - Backordered 02/06/09.

Yep the books must not be ready yet for anyone. I don't mind waitin for that I just want my coin :D

Sorry yeah I mean't 1/28 :) was gonna say Jan 28 since its backwards to me ;)

BACKORDER :(

6th Feb now showing on both book and coin. Hope it doesn't get delayed again

I am sorry but I bet it will.......knowing the mint they probably havent even started getting the books printed.