• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1806 Half Dollar

12 posts in this topic

Here is one of my more recent pickups. An 1806 Half, Pointed six. What kind of details grade would you guys give this?

The scratches on the reverse are a damn shame but I thought the obverse was beautiful. :D

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

VF 25-30 range in my opinion. Nice coin in spite of the scratches.

Just for fun, I tried to figure out the Overton variety (we're snowed in and I don't feel like shovelling yet) and I have tentatively come up with O-120. The only thing that didn't seem to match just right were the berries on the stem. Rarity 3. Can anyone out there let me know if I have the variety correct?

RI AL

I think before the scratches, it would have been an EF-40. The damage on the reverse brings it down to around VF-20 I would say. I'm not even going to try to guess the Overton.

Edited to clarify: It will BB, you understand. If it were net graded, I think it would get a VF-20.

Thanks for the replys guys. Thanks as always Al for the attribution.

I know it would BB for the scratches. They don't bother me that much though as I would never be able to afford one of these this nice with out them :D

vf 30 details

full dentils both sides

and good color

with good eye appeal

i still like it even with the reverse scratch

it does have lots of character and is a really historic coin

Excluding the scratch problems, this coin is closer to EF-40 than it is to VF-20. The obverse is darn close to EF, the reverse even without the scratches would never make it.

The dies for most 1806 and 1807 half dollars were very shallow with less detail than one finds on other Draped Bust type coins. I think it may have had something to do with prolonging the useful life of the dies. Some claim it was because designer and die maker Robert Scott was getting into his dotage. At any rate here is a high grade 1806 half dollar. This coin is in an NGC AU-58 holder. It’s at least an AU-55 in my opinion given the amount of mint luster on this piece.

1806HalfDolO-1.jpg1806HalfDolR-1.jpg