• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1905 2 1/2 dollar

12 posts in this topic

maybe its the angle of the shot but something seems off to me.

I agree. Given the angle of the shot, you can't really grade coin or even be sure that is it is genuine. There could be a lot of mint luster or the coin could be polished. We also need to examine the devices more closely. If the design elements are not sharp, the coin might not be genuine.

This may help. Here is a genuine 1905 quarter eagle. PCGS called this coin an MS-63, but I think that it is a solid MS-64. Note how sharp the devices are. This is why I have some doubts about the status of the piece that started this thread.

1905250O.jpg1905250R.jpg

Nice pic thanks bill .

After seeeing that pic this first just looks really " smoothed ". nothing on it is very sharp and is it just me or is there not very much separation on the head of the arrows ? Maybe it is a copy ?

Just seems dull .

Thanks for the replys

Martin

Is it me, or is the coronet a little bit too far back on Liberty's head? Also, the closeness of the star to the tip of the coronet is troubling. The leaf tips seem a bit too rounded and what's going on with the center of the Y in LIBERTY? I have to agree with the other guys and believe that this coin is a fake.

Yeah i have asked the guy for the weight and width which seem to be spoton but . I think I'll put my money elsewhere :-)

Thanks for the replys

x2rider,

it would be easy for him to look those figures up and just rattle them off to you as if he actually did the measurements. I would steer clear.

The depth of the devices, the roundness of all the raised components all shout out something odd here! Look at the curvature of the eyelid, should be straight and not curved at all(unless their are different strikes-not a gold collector.

I believe something is amiss with this coin-have you weighed and measured it?

Good luck-Jim