• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: Ancients

157 posts in this topic

Well.....after looking through Aorta, the obverse bust looks the most like Valerian I to me, but there is also a Gallienus bust that appears like it could work, too.  The reverse I'm having trouble making much sense out of unfortunately.  I wish that I either had the coin in hand or that my eyes were just a little bit better.  From the photos, I'm going to guess Valerian....I could be very wrong, though.  Be gentle......it's my first attempt to attribute a bronze that worn!

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Well.....after looking through Aorta, the obverse bust looks the most like Valerian I to me, but there is also a Gallienus bust that appears like it could work, too.  The reverse I'm having trouble making much sense out of unfortunately.  I wish that I either had the coin in hand or that my eyes were just a little bit better.  From the photos, I'm going to guess Valerian....I could be very wrong, though.  Be gentle......it's my first attempt to attribute a bronze that worn!

The key to the reverse will be to match the silhouette (which in the photo is about 10 degrees out of vertical alignment) with one of the types. Another way to come at the problem is to look under reverse legends. Despite that weird plantstand look, this one probably begins with A, H less likely but possibly, and might have about fourteen letters. Now that you have used Aorta, you understand that having the first letter of the reverse legend (or at least two candidates) is very powerful. And yes, Gallienus billon ants with radiate head are quite common. That's fertile ground, though most of the mushy silvery billon ants I've seen were of Footstool Boy.

You can see how, with Aorta and given something like that field letter, someone could pull off an ID on it and people would just marvel: "What are you, a *spoon*ing witch? HOW?" Nah, heh, just have high quality references.

3 minutes ago, JKK said:

The key to the reverse will be to match the silhouette (which in the photo is about 10 degrees out of vertical alignment) with one of the types. Another way to come at the problem is to look under reverse legends. Despite that weird plantstand look, this one probably begins with A, H less likely but possibly, and might have about fourteen letters. Now that you have used Aorta, you understand that having the first letter of the reverse legend (or at least two candidates) is very powerful. And yes, Gallienus billon ants with radiate head are quite common. That's fertile ground, though most of the mushy silvery billon ants I've seen were of Footstool Boy.

You can see how, with Aorta and given something like that field letter, someone could pull off an ID on it and people would just marvel: "What are you, a *spoon*ing witch? HOW?" Nah, heh, just have high quality references.

Footstool Boy!! I love it!  I may have to use that if I ever get called upon to teach Western Civ where I adjunct.  In reading what you wrote and consulting Aorta again, I'm going to say it's definitely Footstool Boy, Reverse Style 1, Obverse Style 7.  At second glance, I don't think that the Gallienus bust quite works.  Once again, you are an awesome mentor!

5 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Footstool Boy!! I love it!  I may have to use that if I ever get called upon to teach Western Civ where I adjunct.  In reading what you wrote and consulting Aorta again, I'm going to say it's definitely Footstool Boy, Reverse Style 1, Obverse Style 7.  At second glance, I don't think that the Gallienus bust quite works.  Once again, you are an awesome mentor!

My BORTE basic educated guesses for this one: denom billon Ant, Valerian I Scabillo Pedum Meorum, B6 or B7 or B8, O17 perhaps, R?, T? (what I see as an A in the field might be part of the design; in very few Ts of Val I is the reverse figure not reaching an arm or something out to the left), E? (but take a look at all the types where there is a letter in the left field and see if any of those match this reverse in other respects). Good hunting.

Jim F.....that is a nice pickup!  I'm not familiar with the Greek coins, but that's a very attractive piece......though I do not know exactly what it is.

1 hour ago, JIM F. said:

New pickup.  

rhodes1.JPG

rhodes2.JPG

Mohawk,

I think the face poking out of the coin makes is very unusual.  This is the seller's description.

Islands off Caria, Rhodes AR Drachm 

Circa 205-190 BC

Aristakos, magistrate

Obverse: Three-quarter facing head of Helios, head turned slightly right 

Reverse: Rose; caduceus left, magistrate?s name ARISAKOS above

References: SNG Helsinki 588, Ashton 285

Size: 16mm, 2.84g

Numismatic Notes: Good VF and nice tone! 

Thanks for sharing that info, Jim.  I just recently got into ancients myself.  My thing is Roman Empresses.  I have one reference on Roman coins, nothing on Greek yet though.  That's a really cool piece and it does have an unusual look.  Congrats on a great addition!

~Tom

7 hours ago, BipolarBaby said:

That is a super sexy faust.

Thanks Pete!  She's looker, for sure..... :). I can't wait to get her home and in my little book of empresses I'm building.  I was originally going to go for a different Lucilla coin but someone snagged it before I got the order placed!  Anyhow, I think the Fausti is a nice alternative pickup!

~Tom

On 4/23/2019 at 6:08 PM, Mohawk said:

Here's my newest addition to my Faustina the Younger collection:

image.thumb.png.8a582900972f26db9998b07198c342cf.png

Another long wait......this one's coming from Sweden, but I'm really excited to share her with you guys!

She's a Beaut! 

4 hours ago, BipolarBaby said:

She's a Beaut! 

Thanks Pete!  I'm quite excited about this one.....but I'm excited about any of Fausti's coins. 

11 hours ago, JKK said:

Those are very nice Faustina pieces. Good taste on display.

Thank you so much for the kind words on my Faustinas, Jonathan!  That means a ton, especially coming from you :) 

I picked up another Faustina the Younger denarius today.  This will be my fifth one:

image.png.97cdfc8f3f6b0ef1e5d715be2a685f7f.png

I've been having good luck with coins of my new numismatic muse lately :) 

Well....I finally did it.  I broke down and bought my first Lucilla today.  Looks like my collection will be expanding some :).  

image.png.ef8a7ff9ae5460d46c4b051eed624c7a.png

image.png.edd4afc63a14b7685a44f0630d73a93b.png

22 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Well, we all knew it was only a matter of time. 

Nice looking lady. 

Yes, that's true, isn't it.......and thank you so much for the kind words on my first Lucilla!   She's going to look good next to her mother's coins in my stock book!

On 5/2/2019 at 9:44 PM, Mohawk said:

I picked up another Faustina the Younger denarius today.  This will be my fifth one:

image.png.97cdfc8f3f6b0ef1e5d715be2a685f7f.png

I've been having good luck with coins of my new numismatic muse lately :) 

Wow, it looks like you’ve added some really awesome examples to your collection Tom! I especially like the look of this one. I may need to stay away from this thread to avoid being enticed to start yet another collecting journey. All of you are bad influences on my coin budget.  

Wow, it looks like you’ve added some really awesome examples to your collection Tom! I especially like the look of this one. I may need to stay away from this thread to avoid being enticed to start yet another collecting journey. All of you are bad influences on my coin budget.  

Thanks for the kind words, Don!  The Faustina piece you like is a complete stunnner!  I received it last weekend and wow.......glad I bought it!  I could say the same thing for you, my friend.  I have a few Victoria pieces from British India.....I look at your Victoria coins and I think about picking up more!

Edited by Mohawk
Typo

3 minutes ago, coinsandmedals said:

This coins just exudes character. Nice new addition Tom! 

It's awesome to hear you say that Don.........my fiancee and I thought the same thing!  Thank you so much for the kind words, my friend!  Now, I have to wait for her to come home.....

2 hours ago, Travis Hale said:

China- Chou Dynasty State of Ming (400-200 BC) Bronze “Spade Money”

AB311971-19EE-4F0D-94AD-A27B68CB1FE0.jpeg

32C8715F-5C92-497E-B8A5-682CF19C8DFD.jpeg

Ooh...I don't know much about Chinese coins, but I like this one.  I really dig the green patina......I was actually looking at a sestertius of Faustina the Younger with a similar look, but a denarius won out.  Your coin definitely beats my oldest in age....I don't have anything from BCE yet.  Very cool coin Travis.  Thanks for sharing that one.

Edited by Mohawk

Very nice example of Faustina the Younger's father there, Emi.  I love it!  Though I usually stick to Faustina and Lucilla, it may be worthwhile to add an Antoninus Pius to the collection, based on seeing your coin.  Great pickup!

Edited by Mohawk