• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: Ancients

157 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2019 at 6:14 PM, Capone1929 said:

Roman empire not sure exactly what it is but Early Roman Empire about all I know about this lil coin

20190306_180826.jpg

20190306_181012.jpg

20190306_181007.jpg

Aphrodite Godess of Love? Venus? Obverse is of a man and woman making love!! Also looks like some sort of gear, wheel, or sprocket, I'm stumped???

Edited by Capone1929

Hello.  Can anyone point me in the right direction on this coin?  This is front and back.  Out Great Aunt had it in a safe deposit box and we have no idea where she got it or what it is.  Any help is appreciated

20190307_183839.jpg

20190307_183907.jpg

On 3/7/2019 at 5:50 PM, Trejokjw said:

Hello.  Can anyone point me in the right direction on this coin?  This is front and back.  Out Great Aunt had it in a safe deposit box and we have no idea where she got it or what it is.  Any help is appreciated

20190307_183839.jpg

20190307_183907.jpg

Hello and welcome! It will help you to learn some numismic terminology, Here are a couple pointers that will help you The front of the coin is referred to as the (obverse) and back is referred to as the (reverse). Never clean a coin in any way no matter condition! I'm not 100% sure but I'm taking an educated guess here is all so you may want more opinions! Now I believe this coin is a Silver or bronze Ancient India Yaudheya Tribal coin or a copy of one, however It appears well struck and authentic to me! I could be wrong as I do not have it in my hand under my loop nor am I an expert, like I said Its an educated guess is all, as for the exact date of the coin I have no exact however I would say C. 220 A.D. or earlier! These are pretty common, but there are rarer ones that demand more, and this reflects the price however, I can not say that either send it in to NGC for grade or authentication for an expert eye on it! I hope this helps some! Take care of your coins, Welcome to the NGC Forum, Good luck, Sincerely, Associate Member Capone1929

Edited by Capone1929
More

On 3/26/2019 at 7:12 PM, BipolarBaby said:

2039268726_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.215c5d6b6fa7a206e1583bc28a873d9e.jpg

Pete, if I haven't told you yet, she's absolutely gorgeous!  Very nice pick up my friend!

~Tom

20 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Pete, if I haven't told you yet, she's absolutely gorgeous!  Very nice pick up my friend!

~Tom

I like yours more. :)  

My newest ancients addition. I think I sent you a photo of this one before Tom. It has a deep purple tone to it, I didnt even expect to see that bc the pictures didnt show any toning. Hard to tell from my photos, i know they're TOM hahaha. I need camera tips my god. 

IMG_2836.JPG

IMG_2837.JPG

Edited by BipolarBaby

2 hours ago, BipolarBaby said:

I like yours more. :)  

My newest ancients addition. I think I sent you a photo of this one before Tom. It has a deep purple tone to it, I didnt even expect to see that bc the pictures didnt show any toning. Hard to tell from my photos, i know they're TOM hahaha. I need camera tips my god. 

IMG_2836.JPG

IMG_2837.JPG

Hey Pete,

Is that the Commodus piece that you weren't hot on?  I think it's pretty sweet myself....I really dig that purple tone a lot!  If I could find an empress coin with that look, I'd be one happy guy.  I think you did very well there!

~Tom

8 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Hey Pete,

Is that the Commodus piece that you weren't hot on?  I think it's pretty sweet myself....I really dig that purple tone a lot!  If I could find an empress coin with that look, I'd be one happy guy.  I think you did very well there!

~Tom

hahah yes it was! i couldnt find a cheaper one, and it had a decent look to it. in hand is much better tho!

10 hours ago, BipolarBaby said:

hahah yes it was! i couldnt find a cheaper one, and it had a decent look to it. in hand is much better tho!

I'd agree with your assessment about it being better in hand!  That's a very nice coin.  Like I said before, if I could find a Faustina II or Lucilla coin with that look, I'd be totally thrilled.  I think you have a real treasure there Pete. 

41 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

I'd agree with your assessment about it being better in hand!  That's a very nice coin.  Like I said before, if I could find a Faustina II or Lucilla coin with that look, I'd be totally thrilled.  I think you have a real treasure there Pete. 

The Lucilla coins are beautiful. I just noticed your faust and mine are two different women? Or same woman just different? My collection is getting better Tom, I want so many more though. 

5 hours ago, BipolarBaby said:

The Lucilla coins are beautiful. I just noticed your faust and mine are two different women? Or same woman just different? My collection is getting better Tom, I want so many more though. 

Hey Pete,

Lucilla's coins are some real beauties, and not much more pricey than Faustina the Younger's......natural extension of my collection!  Your Faustina and mine are indeed the same woman, but at different times in her life.  Your coin is from when she was older as it was issued under her husband Marcus Aurelius.  Her father Antoninus Pius also issued coins featuring Faustina as she took over many of the duties of the empress when her mother Faustina the Elder died and she had been proclaimed an Augusta during her father's reign as well.  Mine is one issued under Antoninus Pius.  So it's the same person, she's just younger on my coin.  My collection is growing, too, but more slowly because I'm too damned indecisive!

Edited by Mohawk

On 4/8/2019 at 8:09 PM, Mohawk said:

Hey Pete,

~Tom

They are all nice really if they were all alike the hobby would be redundant, Thank you for sharing, Just received this 5 Reich Paul Von H. a few days ago! Sincerely, Capone1929

1554868915214924023202494508790.jpg

15548690651802489732562369270267.jpg

Edited by Capone1929

Hey Pete,

~Tom

Very nice, I'd jump at the oportunity, nice coin way better grade! Nice find really! 

Hey Pete,

~Tom

Oops rpelied in wrong place, please excuse me, However your beauty here is a great score/find as well. I think it is a very nice nice Specimen in difficult condition! Better, Better, Nice NGC label as well, I'd Pop, leap, jump on it myself, If I Were able, and circumstances allowed, just saying! Happy Hunting & Good Luck!

Capone1929

Edited by Capone1929

17 minutes ago, Capone1929 said:

Roman Empire 1500+ years old!

15548703179489207772385874763248.jpg

15548707596058732987827765959248.jpg

Very neat Capone......it's always cool to see a nice ancient being posted!  Now, though, I'm going to have to stare at your photos with my aorta guide and see if I can figure out who it is!  :)

36 minutes ago, Capone1929 said:

Oops rpelied in wrong place, please excuse me, However your beauty here is a great score/find as well. I think it is a very nice nice Specimen in difficult condition! Better, Better, Nice NGC label as well, I'd Pop, leap, jump on it myself, If I Were able, and circumstances allowed, just saying! Happy Hunting & Good Luck!

Capone1929

I think you were replying to me....yes, she's a beauty.  No NGC label for her though as she's not certified.  Faustina II's coins really aren't too bad if you're interested though.  The denarius I showed here cost $105, $110 with shipping.  Her bronzes can get pricey in higher grades, but her silvers are remarkably affordable in nice circulated grades. 

1 minute ago, Mohawk said:

I think you were replying to me....yes, she's a beauty.  No NGC label for her though as she's not certified.  Faustina II's coins really aren't too bad if you're interested though.  The denarius I showed here cost $105, $110 with shipping.  Her bronzes can get pricey in higher grades, but her silvers are remarkably affordable in nice circulated grades. 

I apologise, yes the reply was to your post and coin. 

Just now, Capone1929 said:

I apologise, yes the reply was to your post and coin. 

No prob Capone and thanks for the kind words about my Fausti.  I'm pretty psyched about her!

7 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Hey Pete,

Lucilla's coins are some real beauties, and not much more pricey than Faustina the Younger's......natural extension of my collection!  Your Faustina and mine are indeed the same woman, but at different times in her life.  Your coin is from when she was older as it was issued under her husband Marcus Aurelius.  Her father Antoninus Pius also issued coins featuring Faustina as she took over many of the duties of the empress when her mother Faustina the Elder died and she had been proclaimed an Augusta during her father's reign as well.  Mine is one issued under Antoninus Pius.  So it's the same person, she's just younger on my coin.  My collection is growing, too, but more slowly because I'm too damned indecisive!

Looks like I need a younger faust now... LOL this never ends! SO many varieties, I am excited to build my collection. I have no idea whats in store for me and its excited not knowing what im buying next haha.

Edited by BipolarBaby

9 hours ago, BipolarBaby said:

Looks like I need a younger faust now... LOL this never ends! SO many varieties, I am excited to build my collection. I have no idea whats in store for me and its excited not knowing what im buying next haha.

I hear you there, Pete!  When I first started this, I was thinking about trying to get coins from all of the empresses from before Constantine I.  Then I quickly realized that was impossible (look up Cornelia Supera if you want some sticker shock), so I decided to focus in on my favorites, Faustina II and Lucilla and then only on their silver coins.  That's made it more manageable, but there are still so many coins from just those two augustae that it's very hard to make decisions on what to get next!  Right now I'm agonizing over whether to get another Faustina II or go for a Lucilla.  Usually, I'm pretty decisive guy, but with coins I'm absolutely terrible!  I've been driving my fiancee nuts getting her thoughts on where I should go next.  But, she's showing an interest in getting some ancients herself now!  The sickness is spreading..........

Edited by Mohawk

On 3/6/2019 at 8:58 PM, Capone1929 said:

Aphrodite Godess of Love? Venus? Obverse is of a man and woman making love!! Also looks like some sort of gear, wheel, or sprocket, I'm stumped???

That's an interesting little piece you have there Capone, and the Romans did get numismatically racy!  But others did too, I believe.  You've got me stumped on that one!

5 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

I hear you there, Pete!  When I first started this, I was thinking about trying to get coins from all of the empresses from before Constantine I.  Then I quickly realized that was impossible (look up Cornelia Supera if you want some sticker shock), so I decided to focus in on my favorites, Faustina II and Lucilla and then only on their silver coins.  That's made it more manageable, but there are still so many coins from just those two augustae that it's very hard to make decisions on what to get next!  Right now I'm agonizing over whether to get another Faustina II or go for a Lucilla.  Usually, I'm pretty decisive guy, but with coins I'm absolutely terrible!  I've been driving my fiancee nuts getting her thoughts on where I should go next.  But, she's showing an interest in getting some ancients herself now!  The sickness is spreading..........

MUAHAHAHAHA! I love that people are falling in line! I hope my girlfriend starts getting interested in coins. The only coins she likes are Disney ones.... boring.. haha but none the less shes at least interested. If i were you my man, id go for a serious Lucilla. Not only a Lucilla, but I think you need a NGC graded one! I am currently on the hunt for a nice NERO. WOW they're hard to get though. 

2 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

That's an interesting little piece you have there Capone, and the Romans did get numismatically racy!  But others did too, I believe.  You've got me stumped on that one!

Now that you're stumped on this one, that makes me want to find out something you dont know! 

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Look in the later Barracks Emperors for billon Ants with radiate bust right (draped for sure, not sure if cuirassed). Very common for billon Ants from that era to have the mushy look. I'd start in Valerian and see if I could match the reverse type looking at the pics, then look up which reverse legends typically match that reverse type. Looks like an A or delta in field left, which helps a lot.

1 hour ago, JKK said:

Look in the later Barracks Emperors for billon Ants with radiate bust right (draped for sure, not sure if cuirassed). Very common for billon Ants from that era to have the mushy look. I'd start in Valerian and see if I could match the reverse type looking at the pics, then look up which reverse legends typically match that reverse type. Looks like an A or delta in field left, which helps a lot.

I knew you'd be able to get us started on the road to an answer on this one JKK!  I'm going to break out the aorta and see what I can do here......