• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: Ancients

157 posts in this topic

A bronze follis of Constantine I. I've decided to start a collection of nice bronzes of Constantine, uncleaned, with nice natural patinas. They can be had pretty cheap.

CONSTANTINE I. 307-337 AD. Æ Follis Treveri Mint. Struck 320-321 AD. Ticinum mint. CONSTA-NTINVS AVG, laureate head right / D N CONSTANTINI MAX AVG, VOT/XX in two lines within laruel wreath; ST. RIC VII 140.

71438.jpg.5ad981aab5362e08054a5b50ab9ec904.jpg

Another coin I just pruchased. Scare issue and sometimes referred to as the "Eyes to God" obverse. As I'm sure some of you know, Constantine was the first Roman emperor who converted to Christianity. This coin has a lot of eye appeal with a great patina.

Constantine I 307-337 A.D. Follis Heraclea Mint Æ Follis 2.75g. 19mm. 327-329 A.D. Heraclea Mint Diademed head, r., looking upwards. CONSTAN-TINVS AVG

VOT/ XXX in laurel wreath; In ex.: .SMHA D N CONSTANTINI MAX AVG RIC VII 92

71504.jpg.fff77a059fe2a6b0b116b616e609740a.jpg

A scarce follis of Constantine.

Constantine the Great AE3, Trier mint, 320-321 AD, RIC 291 Obverse: CONSTANTINVS AVG, Helmeted, cuirassed bust right; Reverse: VIRTVS EXERCITI, Banner inscribed VOT / XX, T left, F right, Two captives seated below, STR in exergue.

71636.jpg.dd6f61f017b85157baa35c743f392809.jpg

• Administrator

Thing, what's your theme for collecting? Anything set idea that you like, or some kind of specialty that brings various runs together?

Ancients are far to vast to try and collect everything. Even when you narrow them down to sub-groups like Roman. You then have Roman Imperial, Provincial, Civil Wars etc. I'd been wanting to start another collection since I pretty much completed my collection of Pontius Pilate prutahs. I like coins of historical importance and for some reason, they usually have a religious theme to them, like Pontius Pilate. Constantine has a heck of a history, and as I found out in some research, he earned the title "the Great" for many reasons, not just one. Outstanding military leader, brought Christianity to Rome etc. In fact, the coin above known as "eyes to God" is in reference to Constantine praying to God before a battle in which he was outnumbered and the odds were against him. He won that battle. I ended up with the bronzes of Constantine because #1 you can own some very rare coins, say less than 20 known, from the series for $200.00. Regular issues in mint condition can be had for $20.00. I hate cleaned coins and consider the patinas, like on the last example I posted, to be "natures toning". Much like Morgan collectors chasing after the monster rainbows, I'm looking for the best natural patinas on uncleaned coins I can find. With this Constantine series, I'm going after coins that have full legends, full flans, devices and natural patinas with strong eye appeal. I doubt I ever complete a full set of every issue/mint, but I can put together a world class set for relatively cheap. I'll most likely start going after some "Camp Gate" issues of Constantine soon. There are a wide variety of them out there. Pretty much the same obverse as above, but the reverse shows different styles of forts.

Also, in regards to the patinas, if you collect them long enough, you'll be able to tell from the patinas where they were found. I have coins minted in Judea from about 32 AD that have the same exact patina as the last coin I posted above. But the coin above was minted 300 years later. And, I know for a fact the coin above was found outside of Petra, in Jordan. The father west you get from Judea, the darker the patina gets. I've also seen many coins from different dealers that share some weird patinas with unique traits, which indicate they were found in the same hoard. Deep rich red patinas are usually indicative of the regions in Spain.

This is a set of Camp Gates of Constantine that I've been thinking about buying. They were found around Lebanon. Fresh out of the ground. I buy quite a few coins from that are fresh to the market. A dealer in Lebanon has this set.

9760_1.JPG

9ae9_1.JPG

Purchased this one this afternoon. A really spectacular coin and subject matter in my opinion. This coin was found in Jerusalem. Minted in Alexandria, Egypt, so we know it made a bit of a journey.

CONSTANTINE The Great Celebrating The City of Rome & The She-Wolf and The Twins, Alexandria. Obverse: URBS ROMA Personified "City of Roma". Reverse: She-Wolf suckling Romulus and Remus.

71859.jpg.91d52719905f2f23683f4317130d8b74.jpg

This coin has everything I like. A great natural patina and full legends. Picked it up pretty cheap too.

Constantine The Great, AE3

Cyzicus Mint, 307-337 AD

Obverse: CONSTANTINVS AVG, Laureate head right

Revsese: PROVIDENTIAE AVGG, Campgate with two turrets, star above.

SMKB. in exergue, Cyzicus mint.

RIC VII, Cyzicus,34

20mm, 3.2gm

74216.jpg.8ed3b4a2e3811d7e77892e2576d81338.jpg

Constantine the Great

RIC VII Rated as Scarce (S) Constantinople mint, 326 - 327 A.D.; obverse CONSTAN-TINVS AVG, diademed head right; reverse PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG, campgate with two turrets, star above, A to the right , in exergue CONS.

74871.jpg.5582243f43d82f7e7ad05b1b5ad81e4d.jpg

Cool shekel.

I have one that looks the same but struck at the Alexandria mint. I find trade coins (i.e. coins accepted all over, and usually copied by other mints over a long period to facilitate trade) fascinating. The Maria Theresa taler is the least expensive example I can think of.

Just recently acquired this Gordian. I usually do not buy coins unless they have been graded by NGC so I am stepping out of my comfort zone as a relatively new Ancients collector. I took the risk at $30.00 on an on-line auction and will be sending it in for grading. The dealer selling it guarantees authenticity so I figured I would give it a shot. Either I will have a very nice coin to add to my collection, or I will have a fake and a lesson learned.

Gordian III

Edited by t.mcfann

First coin I've pruchased in a while. I'm going to start a collection of this particular issue. I like the "twins" aspect of it. I love the patina on this coin.

CONSTANTINE THE GREAT. 307-337 AD , Commemorative coin, issued to commemorate the movement of the capital from Rome to Constantinople ,

101642.jpg.c55f0c3f95c65897a4f6732b7bd450a8.jpg

Thanks! I wish it were gold. Just a cheap $40.00 bronze. Probably paid too much, but I like the patina. There is another example of the issue I own on page 1 of this thread. I paid a few hundred for it, because its the nicest example I've ever seen. I purchased it before I knew we were having twins.

All of these have been bought since the new year and are pending at NGC right now.

Julius Caesar, lifetime portrait denarius from around the time of his assassination, circa February to March of 44 BC. (An ugly duckling, perhaps, but rather rare!)

RS01-JuliusCaesar.jpg

The Tiberius "Tribute Penny" denarius of biblical fame.

RS03-Tiberius.jpg

A denarius of the short-lived civil war emperor Otho, 69 AD. I bought this from Harlan J. Berk in 2007, had to sell it with most of my collection when I got laid off in 2008, and just recently bought it back.

RS08-Otho.jpg

A Vespasian "Judaea Capta" denarius.

RS10-Vespasian.jpg

A nice bright, high grade Domitian denarius.

RS12-Domitian.jpg

Any portrait coin of Julius Caesar is a good coin to have and really like that tribute penny. I've owned a few over the years. Good historic grouping you have there.

Never seen anything like them. If they are authentic, which I'd worry about, I'd start looking at Oriental, India or Islamic. Certianly not Roman, Greek, Medieval or Byzantine. Don't even look Islamic to me. Seen quite a few ancient Islamic, but none like that. If I had to chose, I'd say India (but fake).