• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would this have graded if

12 posts in this topic

What ever created that scrape, it came from the rim and headed in towards the T in CENT and was not even with the surface, so I do not think it happened as the coin was ejected. Not quite sure it should be called a gouge or a scrape, a gouge removes metal whereas a scrape merely moves it around. Maybe this is a combination of both descriptions.

I’m not a cent expert so I’ll leave the grading to those copper collectors.

Anyway, it’s a ~ouch~ on an extraordinary cent.

It's a nice looking lincoln besides the scrape. I winder if this wasn't a victim of a harsh cleaning yrs ago. It looks to have some sort of hair-lining around the date and something in the entire right side of the fields. I'm wondering if this just wasn't a damaged coin of older yrs and just now getting back to some of it's originality. (shrug)

I don’t think this Lincoln has ever seen a harsh cleaning, been wrong before, but gut feeling makes me think this coin is original. Like I said, I’m NOT a Lincoln expert, but what you see going through the LIBERTY is actually a slight wood-graining effect from imperfect 5% zinc and tin alloying. It was quite common for the cents produced during the first decade of cent coinage at the San Francisco mint and is seen on many early ”S” minted Lincoln cents. This phenomenon gradually disappeared around the mid 1920’s.

Around the date, well those could very well be “die polish” lines, only high magnification will tell.

My 2c

Boy, that must have hurt, look at the tears coming from Abe's eye!! I like the coin regardless of the damage and would be tickled to own it. What is going on between the A & M on the reverse?

Jim