• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you grade this interesting Peace Dollar?

13 posts in this topic

Simply grading this MS-60 because of the planchet lamination is not accurate. Some collectors who would be interesting in buying an MS-60 or 61 might not be pleased with the look of this piece. Others might be pleased to have it because, aside from the lamination, it is a high grade coin.

I would net grade this coin as follows: MS-65 by marks, but there is a large and fairly unattractive mint caused lamination on the face. The net market grade value would be that of an MS-61.

This is clearly a case were a mint caused defect that lowers the value of the coin significantly. I don’t think that PCGS or NGC would grade this coin because of need to net grade it.

Yes, if they call it an error, it will grade.

But if they don't it's going to a body bag.

Getting the error designation can be a negative. Last year I purchased a 1795 half cent that was raw. The piece had a tiny planchet clip that didn't amount anything (maybe 1%), but if it was slabbed as an error, the market value would have less. Fortunately they graded AU-58 with no mention of the error.

I have seen PCGS net grade a Classic Head cent that had an obverse lamination. Normally the coin would have been an EF, but one of the stars was missing becasue a dropped lamination. They gave the coin a VF-30. It had be net graded. The coin was too nice to call a 30.

Thanks for the inputs (except for James calling my baby ugly :o ) and the discussion. Keep them coming. The coin is in a slab now and I'll let you know what the TPG said soon.

Coinman1794 hit on the right idea. ANACS graded it MS62, struck thru. It does look similar to a planchet flaw but in hand it appears more like a strike through. To me it also looks more like an MS63.

I picked this up on eBay and the picture was poor enough that I couldn't tell where the strike through was. I was hoping it was in a more obscure place, but there it is, right on the cheek. Fortunately I got it for around $325 which is about what a problem free VF-XF is going for these days.

I think a strike through could raise the value on a common date for an error collector. Sometimes though an error like this will decrease the value on a rare date like this.

70004.jpg.2e9110b35c7766bf9896a3e170f30dfd.jpg