• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Grading System outside the English speaking world.

3 posts in this topic

Going through Krause I always like looking through the part on the "Standard International Grading Terminology." With my limited knowledge of some languages I see that the concept of "good" "extremely fine" or what-not is pretty much in line with some languages. "Bello," "molto bello" and "bellisimo" for example would be used to denote the Italian concept of VG/F/VF. I also note that some use a number system to grade with 0,01,1+ ect. . . to denote the grade.

I am wondering how many, if any of you have gone to other countries and seen these various grading systems, or noticed a move towards a standard that would be accpeted and understood by all languages, or just acceptance of a system that more of the world uses. I know that a 1-70 scale is out of the question unless experts of a particular country did massive research to get to a consensus of what a particular grade for each type of coin of their country is. Well not to ramble because I am having trouble actually asking what I am thinking right now, but I would be interested in your opinions or experiences on grading systems ouside of the US.

Coin World already has in its 2003 features schedule at least one feature planned on foreign grading systems. I have many questions myself, and would like to know: Is a coin grading About Very Fine actually a Fine?

I've not assigned the feature to a specific issue yet, but it should run sometime early next year.

William T. Gibbs

News Editor

Coin World