• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1936 Toned Long Island Commemorative

7 posts in this topic

I have posted images of this coin in other various posts but do not believe I have ever directly requested opinions on it's grade. I finally used my last years free grading coupon to have this and some other coins graded. I purchased this coin raw at a small coin shop in West Texas for AU money. The images are compliments of Bruce, and the coin is currently "schedule for grading at NGC" so I hope to have results in the near future.

Opinions welcome and let's see how well we do, I have my own pre-conceived grade which I will reveal later.

Rey

rb1936lio.jpg

rb1936lir.jpg

rb1936li.jpg

Sorry, but I don't think that the toning is natural.

As for the grade, I think the dealer probably had it pegged at AU. At any rate with the marks in the sails, it won't grade any higher than MS-61 or 62. Even if the surfaces had not been re-colored, that would not be nice enough to spend the money for a slab.

If BruceLee took images, then I believe the toning just might be original. If not, Bruce would have told Rey not to bother sending this particular coin in for grading, because it would be bagged as AT. Just a supposition.

I do not think what we are seeing here is any type of wear characteristics, don’t really know what’s going on with the surfaces, but I’m going to go with MS-63, maybe even a bump.

That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

Well the verdict is in as of today. It was graded as MS but with improper cleaning, not sure if I can assume that means it is still natural toning. I was somewhat disappointed but as pointed out above there were some odd characteristics. Still in the end for a free grading, I am happy, I still like the looks of it. Also received confrimation on my 1909 S VDB as VG10 BN which is better than what I expected. Plus a 1938 Washington Quarter came back as MS 65, was hoping for MS 66 but hey can't complain, all with certificates.

Rey