• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3 tier membership?

25 posts in this topic

I did also. there was a link in the email that breaks down the 3 tiers. Looks like the regular membership went up $10, but they also threw in a lower membership.

The new Elite tier appears to be the equivelant of the current $99 paid membership, so it went up $150 to $249. "Collector's society is geting even better;" great... ;)

Actually, Bobby, it didn't go up for premium renewal, only new.

Jim

NGCCollectorsSociety3Tier.jpg

That's basically what I meant. I've never had a membership and was thinking about it next yr. But I knew it was always $99, so the new went up $10. Still that's not bad with the 5 coupons. I am still gonna try to get my membership next yr.

Again, it appears from the description that the equivalent to the current $99 membership is the new $249 membership. We need to find out whether or not the new $109/$99 mebership includes the 10% discount for grading that is currently given for orders done using the online submission form.

I wonder if the Heritage 'back door ' Is still open?

When you register for free at the Heritage site ?(ha.com) , you used to be able to submit and get a 20% discount , but no online tracking , the coins just show up delivered one day.

Anyone know if this will still be available? I used it once(Heritage) , but preferred using my NGC membership so I could check the submission online and look down the list when the invoice went into 'verified ' status so I could see if any of the coins were listed wrong or had the correct pedigree or variant , and or correct mint mark typed in ...so I could call and get any fixed before they were graded and shipped.

I do like that they have found a way for generating new members at a lower price , but kinda wish that they would offer the old 10% discount to premium members for at least the lower tier submissions .

I also wonder if we can still submit via Ebay. I don't know if there was a discount associated with that, but it was free. I never tried it. My understanding of it is that the new second tier does not include the 10% disccount.

Again, it appears from the description that the equivalent to the current $99 membership is the new $249 membership. We need to find out whether or not the new $109/$99 mebership includes the 10% discount for grading that is currently given for orders done using the online submission form.

I agree. If this correct, it is a huge price increase and only someone who is submitting a lot of coins by most collector's standards would benefit from the top tier.

Since I will not pay for the top tier, that would create an effective 11% fee increase and in my opinion, the NGC fees are already high enough for the coins I submit. Most of my coins are submitted under the "World Value" tier at a cost of $19.00 (less the 10% on-line discount for now) and a few others under "World Standard" at a cost of $32 (less the 10% on-line discount for now).

In 2005, the first year I joined, I believe the fees were $15 and $30. The last increase occurred by creating the "World Modern" tier for $16.50 which was the prior charge for "World Value".

Lately, I have been submitting South Africa almost exclusively and one of the reasons I do so is because the incremental value between a graded and raw coin is more than the grading fee. But by raising these fees, it has reduced the benefit of this practice and makes it uneconomical for many coins.

I know that NGC has to cover their costs and that like most others, they go up. However, that is not the customer's problem. If the coin market is impacted the way I believe it will be in a weak economy, NGC and PCGS might find that they have to CUT fees to even maintain volume.

If my assumptions are correct, the area that will impact them the most will be a decrease in submisisons for US modern circulating, proof, commemorative and bullion issues. The premium which has been paid for having these common coins in plastic as a conditional rarity is going to decrease substantialy under almost any circumstances in a coin bear market.

I did also. there was a link in the email that breaks down the 3 tiers. Looks like the regular membership went up $10, but they also threw in a lower membership.

The new Elite tier appears to be the equivelant of the current $99 paid membership, so it went up $150 to $249. "Collector's society is geting even better;" great... ;)

The Elite membership is a new tier, so it couldn't have gone up if it didn't exist previously. The chart indicates that the Elite membership receives a 10% discount on all grading services . The current $99 membership provides a 10% discount on just the tier charge only if you submit online. Correct?

Chris

Bobby, the 10% discount occurred by submitting online. The only place I know that it states it is during the submission process in step 2 as indicated at the bottom of the form.

Jim

NGCCollectorsSocietysubmissiononlin.jpg

I was thinking the same thing when i read the new tiers. I already get 10% of the published rates when i submit online under the $99 tier. will this go away?

I hope not, as the price jump to the top tier just to get 10% off again is huge

Yes, it looks like a one hundred and fifty dollar increase for what I'm presently getting.

GREAT !!!!

It's just like the government telling us we're in a recession or , actually, deflation.

A 150 % increase sure sounds deflationary to me......

Wasn't it bad enough when the 'coin' gift that you used to get with your paid membership kept getting cheesier every year ?

Paul

The Elite membership is a new tier, so it couldn't have gone up if it didn't exist previously. The chart indicates that the Elite membership receives a 10% discount on all grading services . The current $99 membership provides a 10% discount on just the tier charge only if you submit online. Correct?

Chris

I believe the Elite tier is the current $99 tier and the lower tiers are new. The 10% discount is currently available on all grading services if you use the online form, but the new $109/99 tier does not say anything about this discount; and, the only difference between the $109 and $249 tiers is the 10% discount, so I'm guessing that the $109 tier doesn't include it.

Chris

I believe the Elite tier is the current $99 tier and the lower tiers are new. The 10% discount is currently available on all grading services if you use the online form, but the new $109/99 tier does not say anything about this discount; and, the only difference between the $109 and $249 tiers is the 10% discount, so I'm guessing that the $109 tier doesn't include it.

Nothing was said about the 10% online discount for the $99 membership either. You had to go to the online submission form to find out (unless another member told you anout it). Does anybody understand what the words "a 10% discount for all services" means under the Elite membership? Under the current membership, you don't get a discount for all services.

Let's ask NGC for a clarification.......

Hello, NGC!

Will you please clarify something for me? Under the new membership fee schedule that goes into effect next month, will I still be entitled to a 10% discount for online submissions if I choose the $109/$99 tier?

Thank you!

Chris Machuga

it seems clear to me....the service I get now for $99 will cost me $249 ( even if they add "all grading services") to the lingo.....even the $109 service, which costs more, I'll lose my 10% on-line submission discount...

you think businesses would get it ( look at the drop in ebay for example) when you increase fees to compensate for slowing profits you almost always lose even more....

I may just switch back to albums...$249 fee, plus $500++ for a 25 coin submission....I could get a few nice coins for $750...or I'll buy pre-slabbed, either way, it's not very intelligent for a mid-level collector like me to pay these prices to play the slab lottery

Chris

Nothing was said about the 10% online discount for the $99 membership either. You had to go to the online submission form to find out (unless another member told you anout it). Does anybody understand what the words "a 10% discount for all services" means under the Elite membership? Under the current membership, you don't get a discount for all services.

Let's ask NGC for a clarification.......

Hello, NGC!

Will you please clarify something for me? Under the new membership fee schedule that goes into effect next month, will I still be entitled to a 10% discount for online submissions if I choose the $109/$99 tier?

Thank you!

Chris Machuga

Chris,

First, NGC announced the 10% discount for the online form when they started giving it out. And yes, as I suggested in my second post, we need to find out the facts on this because NGC didn't make the matter clear.

As for understanding the written word: the NGC description for the Elite tier say "10% off all grading services," not "a 10% discount for all services." The 10% discount has never applied to Designation Review, Reholder, Variety Plus, or other special services, so this is another thing that needs to be clarified.

As for understanding the writen word: the NGC description for the Elite tier say "10% off all grading services," not ""a 10% discount for all services." The 10% discount has never applied to Designation Review, Reholder, Variety Plus, or other special services, so this is another thing that needs to be clarified.

Excellent point, Doug! Always read the fine print.

My only question is can you still switch back and forth between NGC and PMG? I am by no means a big submitter, but one year I may have more coins to submit, and the next year I may need to submit more notes, so in the past, I just switched my $99 membership between the 2. As for the 10% discount, I don't think I ever used it anyway, so no big deal.