• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show me your Star Designation!

486 posts in this topic

Ok, now I am dying to know the answer to this simple question. What is exactly the definition of what a coin should be/have to earn a star designation? [/q

NGC has a very simple answer to that question: a coin that exhibits extraordinary eye appeal! Whether it be beautiful toning or proof-like surfaces.

But just because you think you have a coin that deserves the STAR* designation, NGC might not feel the same!

I hope this helps out a little

Thanks for the exact definition, that helps me to understand why the star is given and for me personally in which I have a starred capped bust half dime I always knew it was special, very special, but I thought it was because of the incredible toning, now I know that there is another reason for NGC to give the star designation other than for toning.

I am excited to post this gorgeous 1837 LM-5 Bust Capped Half Dime graded by NGC as MS67*. The highest graded 1837 Bust Capped Half Dime by any TPG!! The owner of this beauty is Alan aka REALTONE and photographed by Mark Goodman, author of Numismatic Photography. Let Alan know what you think.

tn1.jpg

tn2.jpg

(worship)(worship)(worship)

Thanks Dean for posting my ngc starred cbhd, someday I must learn how to do such a thing. Here is something interesting, this cbhd was submitted raw to ngc on 3 separate occasions over 3+ years in order to attempt an upgrade to ms68, each and every time ending up in a ms67* holder. So anybody who believes that NGC isn't consistent should think again.:)

Alan (Realone) here is your MS67* 1837 Capped Bust Half Dime with larger images. Appreciate you sharing this beautiful coin with us. I believe this is the 1st Capped Bust series to post a star on "Show Me Your Star Designations".

1837-0101.jpg

1837-0202.jpg

Dean