• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show me your Star Designation!

486 posts in this topic

Looks very nice...I think folks under estimate the early P mints in terms of rarity at the Gem level with this kind of color. I saw a nice 1883-P in MS65 that ended on ebay the other day and while not as nice as your coin I thought it went way to cheap and I should have bought it (thumbs u

How about something utterly ridiculous!

LC1966SMSNGCMS67BN.jpg

Sometimes you see a photo like this and can't believe what you are seeing. And most times, the suspicion is warranted. These photos were taken using diffused lighting and the coin is an SMS which is very reflective just like a proof. The natural assumption is that it would have the appearance of a proof coin under direct lighting. Maybe a similar appearance to the crazy toned proof Jefferson Nickels of the early 60's. You know the look I am talking about. Colorful when rotated under the light at the right angle but very dark and mirror like when not under the light. Well, you know what they say about assumptions don't you?

A photograph using direct lighting with two florescent lights. HOLY COW!

LC1966SMSNGCMS67BNOH.jpg

Like I said, utterly ridiculous!

In honor of the former 1945-S NGC 66* that crossed to a PCGS 67 and brought $37k

Here is my 67*. No I have no grand illusions that I would catch a break like that crossing it. I'm still content with it.

Here is the auction description of my coin FWIW. MJ

Spectacular 1945-S Half Dollar, MS67

1945-S 50C MS67 NGC. Knob S. The 1945-S is an important condition rarity in the Walking Liberty half dollar series. Most pieces are softly struck, but this example exhibits nearly fully defined details. An attractive ring of violet, green, gold, and red graces the left side of the obverse, while the reverse is entirely covered with toning. Numerous striations are noted in the fields, which explains the intense satiny luster throughout. Neither NGC nor PCGS has certified any examples finer (6/09).(Registry values: N2998) (#6626)

1945Shdcomp.jpg

In honor of the former 1945-S NGC 66* that crossed to a PCGS 67 and brought $37k

Here is my 67*. No I have no grand illusions that I would catch a break like that crossing it. I'm still content with it.

Here is the auction description of my coin FWIW. MJ

Spectacular 1945-S Half Dollar, MS67

1945-S 50C MS67 NGC. Knob S. The 1945-S is an important condition rarity in the Walking Liberty half dollar series. Most pieces are softly struck, but this example exhibits nearly fully defined details. An attractive ring of violet, green, gold, and red graces the left side of the obverse, while the reverse is entirely covered with toning. Numerous striations are noted in the fields, which explains the intense satiny luster throughout. Neither NGC nor PCGS has certified any examples finer (6/09).(Registry values: N2998) (#6626)

1945Shdcomp.jpg

Fantastic Walker MJ, I'll give you $36,000 for it ;-)

How about a star not for eye appeal but because one side misses a DMPL status. This coin is as cool as the other side of the pillow. The obverse is full DMPL while the reverse is frosty. I just re-imaged it yesterday.

MD1880-SNGCMS65-1.jpg

How about a star not for eye appeal but because one side misses a DMPL status. This coin is as cool as the other side of the pillow. The obverse is full DMPL while the reverse is frosty. I just re-imaged it yesterday.

MD1880-SNGCMS65-1.jpg

Coins like this are starting to grow on me after selling several of these white NGC star coins recently...I can see how folks get hooked due to the exceptional eye appeal :applause:

MD1880-SNGCMS65-1.jpg

Same here..

1880So.jpg

MD1880-SNGCMS65-1.jpg

that is really cool. i like it a lot.

MD1880-SNGCMS65-1.jpg

WOW brother.. I just spotted this doll on Ebay.. such a sweet coin to sell!

Here's another 45-S walker with a star. Stange looking MM also.

Beautiful Walker! The MM is exhibiting pull-away toning. Essentially, the area around the mintmark did not tone, most likely due to the different density of the metal as it flowed up into the devices. You see this quite commonly on toned coins.

Love that Walker! Here is a 41-D in 67*.................MJ

1941Dhdcomp.jpg

Oh my good Lord. I absolutely love when you post a coin MJ, every one I have seen is incredible. This one is no exception. I think you are the master at finding attractively toned Walkers which is no easy feat.

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)