• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two 1946 Iowa Commemoratives - Same Grades - Which to Keep

11 posts in this topic

I have two 1946 Iowa Commemoratives each assigned the same grade by two different grading services, PCGS and ANACS. They each have a different look, one is bright and the other more toned. (I am not convinced they should have the same grade, but there are two different TPGs involved here)

Please let me know what you think PCGS and ANACS graded them as well as if you had to choose to keep one, which one would it be and why.

Thanks,

Rey

1946IowaObv2.jpg

1946IowaRev2.jpg

1946IowaObv1.jpg

1946IowaRev1.jpg

Coin # 1 seems much more appealing, and has less of the dark speckles, which are heavy toning spots that tend to have etched into the surface. This is a tough issue to grade from the pics, but coin #1 could be a 66 from what I can see. I grade #2 a 64 or 65.

I would pick number 1. I'm guessing the grade is probably 65 on both of them, but I wouldn't be unhappy to see #1 as a 66, and I wouldn't be unhappy to see #2 as a 64. Number one has a better strike, and great luster. Number two just doesn't do it for me with the dark speckly look, my family would describe it as "dirty."

I'd keep coin #1. It has fewer marks and a better look.

The major TPGs are tough on Iowa commemoratives. I think that #1 could get an MS-64, maybe a 65 if you were lucky. Coin #2 would get an MS-63 MAYBE a 64. I don't think that coin #2 is worth the grading fee to be honest. It's worth less than $100.