• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dropping Gold Price - Impact on Investment Grade Coins

6 posts in this topic

I'm new to investment in coins. I'm looking at investing some money in investment grade proof sets of American Eagle gold coins.

Question: If the price of gold drops by 10%, does that have a significant impact on the market value of the investment grade coins?

Yes, very much so. Modern bullion products, for the most part, rely on the bullion market to hold their prices. If the bullion price drops by 10%, you can bet that the coins will drop as well.

I would wait for a while as I expect it to drop further and when inflationary pressure 'looks' peachy then, I think the bottom will fall out after the Election. BUY THEN!

As an example of modern bullion pricing, I bought a very common proof 1986 1-ounce in mint packaging for 5% under melt a few months ago, so yes the modern coins definitely track bullion closely. The only exception is the 1995 set, but that set's entire value is derived from the silver eagle, without that, they are close to melt.

As an example of modern bullion pricing, I bought a very common proof 1986 1-ounce in mint packaging for 5% under melt a few months ago, so yes the modern coins definitely track bullion closely. The only exception is the 1995 set, but that set's entire value is derived from the silver eagle, without that, they are close to melt.

Nice to be buying gold for 95%. :cloud9:

Andy