• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you expect the grade to be? 1976 S Quarter

14 posts in this topic

The coin is already slabbed and on it's way to me from the seller. I'm just wondering what you'd think it is with no prior information. :) The seller thinks it should have been a point higher. While I agree that it looks great for the grade, I'm not sure if it could go up or not.

63486.jpg.de7ab9cd6632d4158fdc66856d747fe1.jpg

63487.jpg.fd6be122ef00ed02361b6810be99bb8f.jpg

I think it is probably in a 68 holder. I see several very tiny tickmarks on the obverse which may have kept it from 69, but I can't tell if they are on the coin or the holder.

Chris

The nicest thing about this coin, besides the virtually pristine surfaces, is the fresh white satin that you don't often see.

Well I know YOU know what it is. :) I bought it because of those qualities not the technical grade. I've just been wondering what the concensus would be from a group of collectors that didn't know the assigned grade beforehand. No matter what comes out of this I'm unlikely to try to get it upgraded, at least in the short-term.

Uncirculated 40% Silver quarters out of the Bi-Centennial 3 pack are very nice in high grades.

I would think this one graded out as MS-67 but missed the 68 by a hair, to bad.

68. The only weakness I can see in it is that I'm not sure the strike is full. But that's harder with Bicentennials because they don't have the eagle feathers to help distinguish and one doesn't get as many reps on them as with most WQs.

The NGC MS68 in my collection is half as nice as this coin was! It's a real monster, with fresh satin from farily new dies and almost 0 marks! Those are the kind of coins I like to offer, but they are few and far between. I had delusions of grandure (MS69) when I submitted this piece. :cloud9: