• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Try Something Different on Grading.

6 posts in this topic

Ok, here is the deal, new game in town. These two coins are both 1879-P and 1879-S eagles. One is MS60 the other is AU58. Can you tell which is which? Have fun!

1879-PEagle.jpg1879-PEagleRev.jpg

1879-SEagle.jpg1879-SEagleRev.jpg

P.S. I have removed the scans of these coins from my sets just to level the playing field and ignore the slab debris on the top of the one coin.

im going to guess that the top coin is the ms coin due to the more brilliant look and a tiny bit less wear/chatter. and the eagle looks better struck.

I am going to guess the top one is MS60 because there appears to be no wear on the coin, but there are a significant number of contact marks on both the obverse and reverse. The second coin seems a little cleaner, but there appears to be traces of wear on the highpoints, the eyebrow & the hair above the ear.

Personally, I would rateher own coin #2 even if it is a slider because I think it is more attractive. BTW, thanks for breathing some life back into this forum.

The bottom coin has wear on the hair curl over the ear. That must be what docked it down to AU-58.

BTW, remember that we are comparing apples to oranges for coin strike because one coin is a "P" coin and one is a "S" coin. The bottom coin is an "S" coin and has a poorer strike, especially on the obverse.

Answer: The top coin, the 1879-P is the MS60 coin. The slider is a nicer looking coin IMHO. You guys did pretty well though.