• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any chance on an upgrade on this one?

6 posts in this topic

Really started looking this one over, and it was recently graded by NGC. When I started looking at other pics of of the same grade and year, this one looks to be better than most.

Should I send her back in for a possible upgrade?

Thanks. 2527020_002o.jpg2527020_002r.jpg

MS-63 seems to be the grade that accommodates the widest range of quality. There are very low end MS-63s, and very high end MS-63s. Sometimes, it almost seems to be the "catch all" grade! My point is that chances are pretty slim that you'll get an upgrade, and the coin as imaged looks fairly average by current grading standards. I've probably cataloged about a hundred gold eagles or so over the past couple of months.

it seems like the chatter in the fields keep gold around that grade. most gold i see have alot of chatter or contacts in field and they show alot more than on silver.

The reverse of gold coins will not get you much in the way of a better grade. The (2) scratches (?), one on the cheek and one in front of Liberty's neck will, IMHO, keep the coin graded at MS63.

A few things to consider.

The TPG’s have become stricter with grading because of CAC, that alone will make it difficult for an upgrade. Also the bump in price ms 63 to ms 64 is substantial so it is unlikely that they would easily give away an MS 64. It is a nice coin so I would consider sending it in to CAC . That little green sticker alone will put a premium on the coin.