• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1927 5C SP65 Special Strike going for Big $ at Heritage

31 posts in this topic

I was watching along with a couple of Proof Buffs, but only out of interest. My pockets aren't near that deep, in fact I don't think I have pockets. :grin:

There hasn't necessarily been any jump in bidding/price. It's just that the reserve was posted earlier today and when that happens the price is set at one increment below the reserve amount.

I would not spend $100,000 to find out if this is business strike/proof/specimen coin, especially looking at the radial die crack (?) on the periphery of the reverse.

I would not spend $100,000 to find out if this is business strike/proof/specimen coin, especially looking at the radial die crack (?) on the periphery of the reverse.
The (very small group of) "specimen" 1927 Nickels really do speak for themselves, once you have seen them in hand and compared them to regular business strikes.

mark is the third side---- edge of the coin totally flat; fully squared off and fully brilliant prooflike??? if so then it is a proof in my opinion

mark is the third side---- edge of the coin totally flat; fully squared off and fully brilliant prooflike??? if so then it is a proof in my opinion
Michael, I think I have seen three of them and they were all holdered, so I didn't get to see the edges. They remind me somewhat of Satin Proof 1936 Buffalo Nickels.

That is what the surface looked like to me in the scans, was a later date proof buffalo nickel.
They don't look like the brilliant Proofs from 1936 and 1937, though, as I mentioned, they do remind me of the Satin Proof examples from 1936.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Ditto to what Mark said. They do look like the 1936 satin proofs.

I wish I could of seen one in person! If I remember correctly there are only 3 that have surfaced? It would be a nice addition to any Buffalo collection!

I have a 1927 special strike it doesn't look like a proof. it has the die crack on the back at 8 o'clock and it has micro cracking around the edges which you can clearly see with an eyepiece I sent it to PCGS and they grated it and encapsulated it but didn't realize what it was.

47 minutes ago, Gal said:

I have a 1927 special strike it doesn't look like a proof. it has the die crack on the back at 8 o'clock and it has micro cracking around the edges which you can clearly see with an eyepiece I sent it to PCGS and they grated it and encapsulated it but didn't realize what it was my number 480 658 9759

The link you provided takes you to Google Chrome I'm at a loss here on my PC

3 minutes ago, WoodenJefferson said:

The link you provided takes you to Google Chrome I'm at a loss here on my PC

I don't see a link in the post you quoted.

3 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

I don't see a link in the post you quoted.

I assumed that the following numbers was a cert #  ???

link.JPG

3 minutes ago, WoodenJefferson said:

I assumed that the following numbers was a cert #  ???

link.JPG

My guess is that it's a phone number.

The Mint was testing chromium plating dies in 1927 and bought some used plating equipment from BEP. These odd nickels appear to be products of those tests. Chromium plating was also used on several foreign coin dies. Look in United States Proof Coins 1936-1942 sectiontitled "Chromium Plating of Working Dies," p35-37 more information.

It's logical to assume that testing would be done with new die steel.  What better coin to test than a "Hard" nickel.  These specimens probably didn't get destroyed because of Mr. Sinnock,  (Chief Engraver at the time, and Rosie Dime designer) who had some pretty exotic stuff put away that was discovered (like these nickels) when his holdings were cataloged. 

This piece sold for over $47k in 2009.  From what I can see this piece did not sell?  Market must be soft now??

Also notice how crummy the coin looks with the pcgs plastic insert looking like it has melted around the coin, on the revere.

Had this been my coin it would have gone back to pcgs for a new holder, at their cost too.

You are correct that is my phone number. If you think I don't have one tell me how to send you a picture. Would you rather speculate or see the coin front and back. You've never seen one in person so you speculate I have one in hand . your speculation is not very accurate. With all due respect.

2 hours ago, Gal said:

You are correct that is my phone number. If you think I don't have one tell me how to send you a picture. Would you rather speculate or see the coin front and back. You've never seen one in person so you speculate I have one in hand . your speculation is not very accurate. With all due respect.

With all due respect and to end speculation, I would suggest you learn how to insert images here in this post.

On 5/5/2017 at 5:16 PM, t-arc said:

Also notice how crummy the coin looks with the pcgs plastic insert looking like it has melted around the coin, on the revere.

Had this been my coin it would have gone back to pcgs for a new holder, at their cost too.

Probably wouldn't have helped, that was just how the holders looked.  The gaskets often overlapped the rims with that gooey or melted look.  Could often be a problem with proofs where the squareness of the rims was important in confirming the proof status, but the rims were typically hidden by the gasket.