• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1892 CC Follow-up Poll

Cleaned, dipped or Original?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Cleaned, dipped or Original?

9 posts in this topic

1892crop2.jpg1892crop1.jpg

Okay, I have two of the coins that I put here the other day for grades and opinions.

This one is the 1892 CC AU.

Help the rookie to make the right choice. Please use the poll to vote. If you want to leave a direct response, I understand that it is opinions only and that the final decision is mine.

I took these pictures tonight.

Thanks.

Yes, that would be bad. Fortunately, I received the coins yesterday. This one has a 3 day return if postmarked within 3 days of receipt. The others have 7-14 day return.

All will be mailed today!

Allright, until I get better at this, no more raw buys on ebay. I am through.

Honestly, I could tell by looking at them in hand that the color was not right.

I appreciate the input.

It shall be only the big boy TPGs for now. All those have been very nice and solid.

Thanks.

You are correct, sir.

I have read that many times. I used that principle recently when I purchased a 1892 CC $10 Eagle from Heritage. Graded XF-45 by PCGS.

Good buy, might even be undergraded.

Good advice.

Jake , that is a nice coin you bought on Heritage . In the future you should try to get them closer to the Wholesale price unless they are really special such as ones with a CAC sticker or a coin that is beautifully toned. You paid a little too much for that coin as you were $ 80 below PCGS retail. Trust me you will have many opportunities for great coins when you buy from Heritage. Pace yourself a little and don’t feel that you have to win every coin you bid on. The coin most likely is properly graded as XF 45( a very choice XF 45 ) however I can see how it might also grade as an AU .

You are right about being careful, but I could not resist that coin. I had a $50 coupon from Heritage from a currency buy some time ago and I used it on that coin. I tell you that Carson Gold is addictive.

Recently I read Winter's and Halperins book about Carson Gold. Very informative. What I really found interesting is Winter's commentary about "liberal grading" from PCGS and NGC on Carson Gold during the mid to late 1990's.

Take a look at the 1893 CC $20 XF45 listed for the upcoming Baltimore auction July 31. In my novice opinion, it is overgraded and might have been graded as Winter believes.