• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1890 CC, 1891 CC, 1892 CC Grades Please

10 posts in this topic

I think your coins other then the 1891 CC may have been cleaned. The 1891 CC looks to be original.

Pretty much my thoughts.

I think your coins other then the 1891 CC may have been cleaned. The 1891 CC looks to be original.
Gonna definitely agree there. The 91 looks to be 61/62.

Ouch. Well, first off, I just bought these and I will not disclose the sellers.

This is my first real buys on raw. New to the game, so I have been sticking to the bigTPGs.

Okay, from a learning standpoint, I am going to say that the 1890 might be cleaned because of the possible brushmarks.

The 1891 looks authentic because of the lack of apparent brushmarks and the overall tone looks not cleaned or dipped.

The 1892 might be dipped, because it appears too shiny for a probable AU example. I can see no other evidence of cleaning.

Agree? Did I miss seeing something?

BTW, I have not received the coins yet. We will see better when I receive them.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Agreed. I very seldom buy raw Morgans anymore because there is at least a 50% chance of them being cleaned unless you deal with a known seller and pay a premium

I also tend to avoid sellers who still use the old style adjectives to describe a coins condition. The seller chose to give the grade of the 1892-CC as “CH AU” This is the abbreviation for “Choice About Uncirlculated” or numerically as AU-55. Although once widely accepted, the numerical grades now are easier to distinguish than an overall blanket type grade.

Why not just put the numerical grade as AU-55 and leave out the choice, because from what I can see in the images of this particular coin, it does not fall into the “choice” category of AU.

From the wear points on Miss Liberty’s locks and the breast feathers of Mr. Eagle, you may be looking at XF-45 to AU-50. Of course it just may be the images and the coin maybe nicer in hand, but to purchase as a AU-55 is stretching even my imagination.

Now, you have to remember these are just opinions based on the images provided and as we all know, opinions are vastly divided.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

I think that the 1891-CC is AU58. The pictures are muted to the point that you can't read the "CC" mintmark and Liberty's face looks to have some rub.

For what it's worth, I quit buying raw Morgans on eBay quite some time ago unless I know the seller. All too often, they are dipped, over-hyped and the photos are taken in such a way as to hide problems.

If you're going to buy them raw from strangers, do so at shows where you can examine the coin in-hand.

Chris