• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SMS Jefferson Nickels and Full Step Designations

35 posts in this topic

Thanks for sharing your pictures, really nice nickels. I am just starting to get into coins and I have trouble telling some of the nickels apart, mostly the proofs and the sms coins, alot of the proofs coins that I see look like . I just got a 1967, 68 and 69 set. Only one set was decent the others were really bad. I don't know how that happens, I guess I shouldn't buy unless I look at them first. Thanks everyone

Ed

2 hours ago, Ed Calhoun said:

Thanks for sharing your pictures, really nice nickels. I am just starting to get into coins and I have trouble telling some of the nickels apart, mostly the proofs and the sms coins, alot of the proofs coins that I see look like . I just got a 1967, 68 and 69 set. Only one set was decent the others were really bad. I don't know how that happens, I guess I shouldn't buy unless I look at them first. Thanks everyone

Ed

Just to be sure you are clear. No proof sets were made in 1967. 1968 and later proof sets were minted in San Francisco (1968-S, 1969-S, etc).

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The 1965-67 SMS sets were likewise made at the San Francisco Assay Office (as it was then called) but, like all 1965-67 dated coins, they have no mintmarks. The 1965 SMS coins were actually struck during 1966, the other sets during the years of their dates.