• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

20th Century Type Set Changes---Any Opinions!

13 posts in this topic

With the unveiling of the 19th century type sets, the registry has decided to limit type coins that overlap centuries to only those that were minted in their respective century. The result was huge drops in points for the 20th century type collectors who had 19th century coins included in their sets from the following series:

Indian Head Cents

Liberty Nickels

Barber Dimes, Quartes, Halves

Morgan Dollars

Before the change I was perched in 12th place with 23K points in the 20th Century Proofs & Non Proofs No Gold Type category. Once the change hit, I lost 2 coins and well over 5,000 points. But before everyone starts to feel bad, I leapfrogged up to 10th place in the rankings. My ultimate goal upon completion of my set was to reach the top ten, because I have no way of challenging the top 5 due to monetary restrictions and the fact that my set is limited to rainbow toned coins.

My question to everyone is: Do you like the change. This essentially changes the rules halfway through the game. Some collectors lost well over 5K points due to this change. For example, if a collector built a type set around a PF68 Barber Half minted in the 19th century that was always allowed in the 20th century type set. That kind of coin can't just can't be replaced in a collection.

I lost an 1897 IHC PF66* RB CAMEO and an 1881-S Morgan Dollar MS68. Personally, I like the decision because I never agreed with those coins being allowed in a 20th century type set in the first place. However, it will be nearly impossible to compensate for the loss of those two coins. I replaced my MS68 Morgan with a 1901-O MS65 which was a net loss of 3K points. I am really glad that this change occurred before I purchased any of the Barber coinage for my collection.

Let me know what you guys think about the change!

I think the change makes sense to me. Granted, I'm not participating in those sets. A 20th century set should have 20th century coins.

My thoughts exactly.

I will be buck the trend and disagree. The set is a type set, not a date set, therefore any coin of the type should be eligible to participate. An 1899 IHC looks just like a 1901 to me. Also not a participant in these sets so I have no vested interest in my opinion.

True enough, yet I interpret "20th Century Type Set" to include all types issued in the 20th century. Whether the actual coin one includes has a 20th C. date on it would be irrelevant to me.

It seems like others, including NGC, have a stricter interpretation and that's fine with me. It would be a shame, however, if the OP now has to sell some type coins and buy new ones for his set simply because of the dates on those particular coins, don't you agree?

A collector should not let NGC's Registry dictate which coins are inculded in his set. If you like your type set a certain way, so be it - there is no need to sell nice coins just because the registry changed. Start a 19th centuery set.

The 19th Century coins should be inelligible. I don't have the Proof & Non-Proof Set. I'm building 2 separate sets, 1 is a 20th Century Proof Type, and 1 is a 20th Century Non-Proof Type. Why? Because I don't like how the 20th century combined type set has proofs and non-proofs in the same slots. Maybe I'm just too particular, but that's what makes the most sense to me.

A type coin by any other name is still a type coin. I think the type should be allowed regardless of the date. Now, many types will have to be duplicated if one wants to participate in both the 19th and 20th century type registries. Personally, I'm sticking to my type w/ moderns set and don't care to duplicate my set in minor categories.

I took a hit because I had a few pre-1900 coins in my 20th century type set, and that's the set I really focus on. I wish the rules hadn't changed in the middle, but I'm not going to sell my IHC, Liberty nickel and Morgan dollar just to buy other ones which are 1900 or later. It was just dumb luck that my Barbers all happened to be after 1900.

A collector should not let NGC's Registry dictate which coins are inculded in his set. If you like your type set a certain way, so be it - there is no need to sell nice coins just because the registry changed. Start a 19th centuery set.

For the record, I will not be selling the coins that are no longer eligible for the 20th Century type set as they are two of the nicest coins in my entire collection. In addition, they still count in my USA type set (including modern issues). I joined the registry this year, but have been collecting coins for many years. The registry simply allows me to have some direction and goals with regards to my collection. Prior to joining the registry, I just purchased any rainbow toned coin I ran across. This was fine but I had no goals other than to seek out a rainbow toned coin. Now my search is much more specific as I need to search for rainbow toned type coins that I don't already have, or an upgrade for one I do have.

I stated in my OP that I actually believe that 19th century dated coins don't belong in a 20th century type set. However, I have a real problem with NGC changing the rules of the game after the game has started. I don't want this thread to turn into a registry competition bashing campaign, but the fact is that there are collectors who are competing based on points. This rule change detrimentally affected certain collectors more than others without any warning. I think they shoud have sent a message that at the end of the year after the registry awards are given, that the rule would change.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I lost 5K in points but still moved from 12th place to 10th place, so there are obviously other collectors who were more affected than me. I like the overall change, I just don't like how it was handled.

The ground shook for a few moments when I couldn't get a 20th Century Morgan, dollar to "take" in the 20th Century set. After a couple of tries, the software relented and actually registered my 20th Century Morgan dollar. I lost some points in the 19th Century set for Barbers and Liberty nickels and in the 20th Century set because of pre-1900 gold coins being eliminated. However, I am not going to actively pursue these other redundant coins now. I'll just adjust to the loss.