• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's with the forum description?

11 posts in this topic

Okay, first off - thanks for creating a 'grade my coin' forum. Perhaps we need posting icons for coins vs. notes? hint hint

Now, what's up with the forum's description?

A forum dedicated solely to asking forumites to guesstimate the grade of coins or notes from a scan. NOTE: GRADING FROM A SCAN IS NOT RELIABLE, it's just interesting.

Why say "from a scan"? Not only are scans about the worst way to image a coin, photos are probably more common.

Probably a better way to phrase that would be:

A forum dedicated solely to asking fellow members to estimate the grade of coins or notes from a digital image.

Note: Image-based grading isn't as dependable as in-hand grading.

Why is it the way it is? Because it was likely copied after the same forum in the CGC section. There, almost 100% of the images are scans.

Here is what the dexription reads on the CGC side:

A forum dedicated solely to asking forumites to guesstimate the grade of book from a scan. NOTE: GRADING FROM A SCAN IS NOT RELIABLE, it's just interesting.

They're almost identical.

A forum dedicated solely to asking forumites to guesstimate the grade of coins or notes from a scan. NOTE: GRADING FROM A SCAN IS NOT RELIABLE, it's just interesting.

I think that grading most circulated coins from EF on down is highly reliable from scans.

They probably copied and pasted it from the CGC section where scanning is the best way to see the grade of a book when not in hand.

Yeah, I agree the description should be modified for our unique and peculiar needs.
The needs of coin collectors can be peculiar. ;)

Yeah, I agree the description should be modified for our unique and peculiar needs.
The needs of coin collectors can be peculiar. ;)

Actually, coin collectors can be peculiar. :)