• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1859 IHC

What grade You?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What grade You?

21 posts in this topic

[font:Courier New]This is such a gorgeous coin. I love the luster like this on the CuNi coinage, including the Flying Eagle cent. Can you guess the grade?[/font]

59436-1859IHC.jpg.b600bc5b1617b63b4cadc43e0bd4fd52.jpg

Was that struck from late state dies, or is it just an artifact of the luster/image? It looks to be a bit of orange peel/texturing on her neck. Or is that texture how it is supposed to look?

Was that struck from late state dies, or is it just an artifact of the luster/image? It looks to be a bit of orange peel/texturing on her neck. Or is that texture how it is supposed to look?

I see what you're seeing, Jason, but I think that it is just the lighting.

Someday, I want a FE cent that matches this coin. :cloud9:

Someday, I want a FE cent that matches this coin.

Congratulations, Vic. What a beauty. What a pair that would make. Is that a scratch on the lower center of the reverse? Shame, if so.

Jim

Someday, I want a FE cent that matches this coin.

Congratulations, Vic. What a beauty. What a pair that would make. Is that a scratch on the lower center of the reverse? Shame, if so.

Jim

Dang! You know, I never noticed that before. doh! I'll have to check it out next time I get to my bank in Vegas.

p.s. There are no obverse scratches on the coin.

I had to vote MS-66. That coin is pure viewing pleasure! What a strike!

Thanks, James, et al! (thumbs u

Let me know when you want me to reveal the grade.

Let me know when you want me to reveal the grade.

I'm game -- either post the grade or PM it to me. :)

PMSent.

It is presently PCGS MS64. I got the coin from a respected board member. It is, at minimum, a very high end 64. Yet, I think it should be a slam dunk 65. It looks far, far better than most 65's that I have seen. Not only are the fields very clean but the luster is incredible looking like it was just struck.

Plus, it is a one year type coin and the only IHC struck in the 1850's.

Anyway you look at it, this is an incredible coin.

It's price jumps over $2000 if it were to upgrade to a 65.

I cannot believe its not a 65 at the least! Its according to the mood they are in as to whether it upgrades. It would be interesting to know the % of resubmissions that upgrade. LOOOOOOW number I bet(single digits). Regardless it is a fantastic coin and hope you get a matching FE someday.

Jim

Regardless it is a fantastic coin and hope you get a matching FE someday.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I agree & I can only hope. (thumbs u