• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Colonial - Continental paper money

13 posts in this topic

I have for sale 8 colonial notes, I will sell individually, or as a set

South Carolina - Five Shillings - no 640 - April 1778

Pennsylvania - 15 shilling - no 5520 - October 1773

Rhode Island - 3 Dollar - no 2298 - July 1780

Massachusetts Bay - 8 Dollar - no 25480 - May 1780

New Hampshire - 7 Dollar - no 1702 - April 1780

North Carolina - 4 Dollar - no 146 - August 1778

New Jersey - Eighteen Pence - no 8418 - March 1776

Georgia - Four Dollar Continental note - no 2991 - September 1777

colonialcurrency001.jpg

colonialcurrency002.jpg

colonialcurrency003.jpg

colonialcurrency004.jpg

colonialcurrency005.jpg

colonialcurrency006.jpg

colonialcurrency007.jpg

Is there a reason you would say they are modern reproductions? I got them from my Great Grandfather so if they are reproductions like you say, how can I be sure.

I appreciate any details you can give me regarding verifying authenticity of my paper money

It appears to me that the paper that the notes were printed on has been made to look aged. Does it have a very crispy feeling to it? Almost crunchy? That's one way to tell.

I ran in to the same problem a few years ago. My great grandfather had given me some Confederate currency that he was sure was authentic... Only to find out later that they were all indeed reproductions. They looks very similar (the paper, anyways) to the ones you pictured above.

The bills feel very old, Almost brittle ... there is an "embossed" feeling like raised ink also. The signatures appear to be real ink as the way they have bled into the paper. The Typeset on the Georgia note seems to have made an impression that can be felt on the opposite side of that note.

I really don;t know much about this stuff, but do know that these bills have been in my family for generations. I would like to verify their authenticity if possible.

I believe that sending them to PMG would be a waste of money, as they would be returned to you as reproductions, having not been graded or placed in holders. But, if you need a third party opinion, go for it.

Thanks for all the replies... Is there an easier way then sending them away? I don;t know much about this stuff and as far as I know they could be reproductions I suppose.

You mention the paper .. how should they feel .? Are they supposed to be clothlike?

First of all, Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

Unfortunately, I have to agree that these notes are all reproductions. Please do not spend your money on having them graded, as it will be money poorly spent. Instead, next time there is a coin show near you, take them there, and show them to any number of dealers who have paper money for sale.

These repros have been around for a long time, well over 40 years. It isn't surprising that your grandfather might have had some.

I might be late chiming in , but those are indeed the reproductions and I have the same set that I framed for my coin room . I bought them a few years ago for about $5 off Ebay( do an ebay search and they still come up every now and then) . The real ones will have the imbedded formica chips which kinda 'twinkle' when you tilt the in direct light . Formica chips were crushed into powder-sized particles and then imbedded into the paper during manufacture as an early form of counter-counterfeiting . The authentic notes will not have the brittle heat-light baked thin feeling like these repros . I have a similar reproduction of the original letter of independence that I bought in 1976 , on the same type of paper and another from the same company that I bought on a tour of Ft. Sumter,SC which had the different types of cannons , rockets , and other weapons used during the Fort's battles from the souvenier shop back in 1977. The company that made these still made them at least as of 2001 when I saw another of their products , but I have not seen them lately.