• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008 W Reverse of 2007 American Silver Eagle

22 posts in this topic

I noticed that the 2008 W Silver Eagle with 2007 Reverse is listed as a variety and not an error in the Census. Does that mean it will eventually be listed as an available slot in the registry as it is apparently not considered an error? I apologize if somebody already asked this somewhere. I just couldn't find it if they did. Thanks! Paul

NGC already has a slot for coin in the registry...I will be putting my MS-70 in there on Father's Day. I bought the coin a couple weeks ago... :applause:... but my wife won't let me have till then... :censored:!!

When you add the 08-W you have your 4 choices

1) Reg 08

2) 08 early release

3) 08 rev 07

4) 08 rev 07 early release

Currently there is no seperate slot for 08 rev 07 like there is for the 2000 millennium coin, and there is no points premium either. Hopefully they'll add a slot dedicated to the rev 07 coin.

Currently the 2008 W Reverse of 2007 S$1 MS is eligible for the same slot as the 2008 W S$1 MS.

The relative rarity of Reverse of 2007 coins versus Reverse of 2008 coins has not yet been established. NGC will report the newly discovered variety in the NGC Census. Once this is determined, we may create a separate slot for the 2008 W Reverse of 2007 S$1.

My slot is empty for the 1995 W and it will be empty for the 2008 reverse of 07 as long as it costs over $75.00. It is not a coin. It is a variety of a coin and there are at least 47,000 of them which is ridiculous for a non circulating variety.

My slot is empty for the 1995 W and it will be empty for the 2008 reverse of 07 as long as it costs over $75.00. It is not a coin. It is a variety of a coin and there are at least 47,000 of them which is ridiculous for a non circulating variety.

I understand your point...but isn't this the only variety of the SAE...proof or ms?

Anyways I love the silver eagles :luhv: and I picked up an MS-70 a couple weeks ago. It's the only variety or error coin that I own. And being a silver eagle makes it even more enjoyable for me to have.

I have a 1989 Silver Eagle in MS 69 that is certified by NGC. It is also an error coin with a struck thru error on the obverse which is certified by NGC.Some of the people on here tell me that this is common but I have never seen one.

The other day I was looking on E Bay and there are two different ones in NGC holers with the same errors.They are both in the nineties. I think one is a 1998.

One is a bin for $399.00 and the other is a bin for $995.00 There may or may not be somebody who will pay these prices.These are the only two that I have seen on EBay in one year but the 2008 reverse of 07 is all over the place.EBay and Dealers etc.

The Mint says there are at least 47,000 and three production shifts out there on the 2008 reverse of 07.

I bought the 20th Anniversary set from the U.S. Mint in 2006. I sen the Reverse Proof in for grading and it came back as a PF70 with the Black Label.The price has moved very little in almost 2 years. I think it has even gone down a liitle. This is not only the one Silver Eagle in History that is a Reverse Proof and ecept for the Gold and Platinum it is also the only one in History. It is a separate coin all by itself and not a variety.

So why would this 2008 Reverse of 07 that seems to be as common as grass in MS69 deserve a five fold increase all of a sudden over the regular 2008 in MS69? I may be wrong but the evidence doesn't seem to suggest that it will last.

I believe the word you are seeking is HYPE

Still, wouldn't mind owning one myself. They will dry up soon..

No doubt there is some serious hype for this coin...It might have to do with it being the only variety (I believe) (shrug) for the silver SAE.

I purchased mine...MS-70...as soon as it was available because I loved the SAE from day one! :applause:

I was looking on EBAY the other day and although the auction hadn't ended there was a 2008 W reverse of 07 in MS70 that was at $440.00. Talk about "hype".

i wouldnt pay more than the mint charged in first place. it is just a silver round. so what is that 30$. i could see 10,000 being a mess up but it seems like they might have done it on purpose. minimal of 47000 made and could be doubled or trippled (we dont know)

I want to get one of these for my SAE set, but I'm going to wait to see if it'll come down, hopefully into the $100-125 range. I paid that for the 2000 MS, 2006 W, and 1996. If I can get this new one for that I'll probably try to get one. If it stays at the $250 range for a MS69 I probably will not do it.

I just watched a couple auctions end for the MS-70. They all went from between $550-$650!! That is wild! I don't feel so bad paying $325 for mine from Gainseville Coin. Now you have to call them for a price...When I bought mine a few weeks ago...the price was actually listed.

This is ridiculous. I have a 2006 Reverse Proof in PF70 that Numis and media has for about $700.00This is an actual coin and the only one of its kind.

The Mint has an estimated idea of 47,000 for this variety and it could be more. This is just pure hype frenzy.I only wish that I had been able to get one at less than $100.00. I would have sold it long ago at $500.00

I read in the latest issue of Coin World where the production of the 2008 is already over 5 million for the first 4 months of 2008.The 2008W itself is going to be way over the 2007W for this year. I have to wonder if 47,000 for the reverse of 07 isn't also high.

It may stay up there but I would hate to have paid $700.00 for a coin that then came down in value if this is hype frenzy. I could be wrong but it was a gamble for me at $160.00

I bought 3 of them (MS70) when they were $200 each. Now I wish I had bought out Gainesville when they had the MS69's for $75 each because those sell for over $300 now. I just sold two of my three MS70's on eBay for $500 each which I think is absolutely crazy! I probably could have gotten more but I guess I'm just not that greedy. So I end up with a free MS70 2008W Reverse 2007 and put about $300 in my pocket for my efforts. Not too bad for hype. People are paying over $600 for these things now. Heck, the PCGS version is almost $2000! That's just nuts! Oh well, I've got mine for the set and I'm happy with that.

Now we just need the NGC registry to make a spot for it so that it's consistent with the Census report. What's the point of making a spot in the Census and calling it a variety if they don't make it available for the registry? What's really left to evaluate? Are they going to change their minds, pull it from the census and say, "Whoops, we made a mistake. It's really an error coin and error coins don't have spots in the registry." In the mean time, I'll keep opening my registry and hoping to find an empty spot for it.

If the NGC registry makes the coin a separate variety, 47,000 struck won't seem so common considering the number of collectors that buy these coins and list sets on the registry. My crystal ball does not work well, but they should certainly be worth more than the Centenial SAE which is no different than the regular 2000 issue. Despite 75,000 mintage for the 2000 Milleniun SAE, they will never be worth as much as the '08 rev of '07 SAE.

You can't have it both ways. It is either a Variety or an Error. If you want it to be an error assuming that would make it worth more Money then error coins can't be listed in the Registry unless certain errors are alright.

If it is a Variety then it takes on certain other characteristics.According to Coin world "A Mint official talks about the difference as "artistic"..If an error coin is defined as say an overdate etc then this is not an error coin. It is onlt an error sinceorth the wrong die was used. If one has an 1878 Morgan reverse of 79 this coin is not looked upon as strictly an error coin such as an overdate or a double date etc.

When the missing edge lettering error coins came out they were selling for ipwards of $400.00 Look at them now and we are talking about missing lettering as opposed to an "artistic" loop on a "U".

If somebody wants to pay $200-$300.00 for a coin and it maked them happy then that is a personal decision. Just don't think that here is an absolute certainity of a Price increase. Might even go doen in value.Don't look at it for a profit potentail. Look at it as $200.00 to $300.00 worth of enjoyment even if it decreases in value.

I think this coin will be a key coin, if you want to have a complete set of Burnished W Silver Eagles. The makings for a new set. At some point it could end up being almost as valuable as the PF70 1995 W proof. Especially in MS70 condition.

How about starting a new set of burnished Silver Eagles.

MS70 2006 W Silver Eagle Early Release

MS70 2007 W Silver Eagle Early Release

MS70 2008 W Silver Eagle Early Release

MS70 2008 r/07 W Silver Eagle Early Release