• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conservation suggestions needed

14 posts in this topic

What is the best way to remove the verdigris and other crud from this token? Acetone? Olive oil? Brillo pad? :o

(The white stuff on the lower right obv is on the 2x2)

000_0200a.jpg

000_0201a.jpg

Try a very light rub with a baking soda paste. Water and baking soda

Definitely NOT!! Baking soda is an abrasive and it will put hairline scratches all over it..

Looks like active corrosion. Might try a soak in an oil based product such as olive oil, mineral oil or blue ribbon, then use a rose thorn to remove any loosened corrosion product. You may have to do a few cycles of soak then thorn. (The thorn is also good for getting any dirt or "crud" out from around the devices, it is soft enough it should not scratch, strong enough to dig out the crud, and comes to a small enough point that it gets into the smallest places.)

Then use acetone to remove all of the oil and to throughly dry the token. (one thing the corrosion need to work is to water and the rough area of the corrosion will hold onto water molecules very well. The acetone gets in there and "dissolves" out the water and carries it off. It acts as a drying agent.) After the acetone you might want to then apply a very thin layer of blue ribbon or mineral oil to the token to seal out moisture from the corrosion area. (The oil fills the nooks and crannies in the corrosion keeping the water vapor in the air out of them.)

Now the corroded areas will still look rough and pitted but it should look better than the active corrosion and will help stop it from getting any worse.

Any chance of it turning blue, James?

In my experience, not much chance of that happening. However, after the Blue Ribbon treatment, I would recommend three or four acetone baths in succession, each time using fresh acetone.

I've had excellent results with the above procedure.

there was a lot of good advice in this thread. I look forward to the 'after' pics. Dealing with copper is always such a challenge.

UPDATE

After almost 4 months in olive oil, I removed the token and dipped it in acetone, which left a ghastly white film all over it. I scrubbed it repeatedly with Q-tips soaked in acetone, and picked at the green spots with a toothpick. ( I don't recommend this procedure for uncirculated or proof coins!! ) Then I gave it light coating of olive oil, and blotted it with a tissue to remove the excess oil.

Not the results that I had hoped for, but it is better than it was:

000_0406a.jpg

000_0409a.jpg

Looks good to me. Hairlines and cleaning doesn't heart a token like it hurts a coin!

Congrats. on the removal of the corrosion.