• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Medical school, Chris Machuga, and Étienne-Victor Exbrayat - with a little spam

29 posts in this topic

As mentioned a while back, I made a decision last year to go to medical school after spending 12 years following my PhD in Biology working in the area of ecological risk assessment and the assessment of biotic populations in nuclear waste disposal. This has been quite a year of events, not the least of which have been the basic reorientation of life back toward academics, learning and teaching human anatomy, taking the MCATs, applying to medical school, interviewing, and finally choosing a school. To make a long story short, I chose Kansas City University's Osteopathic medicine program for many reasons, particularly its strongly patient-centered approach to medicne, which integrates all aspects of a person's life. I'm excited about the forthcoming years.

In the process of making this change, I've sold and am selling much of my coin collection. SPAM - I'll be posting many of those coins in the Marketplace this weekend, with plans to divest of them quickly. Anyhow, it's been tough letting go, but the money will go toward making this positive change, and also funding the last of my daughter's medical needs, which have been extensive.

One of the numismatic items I will not part with is one that came from a fellow board member who sent it to me out of the goodness of his heart when he first heard that I was attempting to make this change. Chris Machuga (cpm9ball) sent me the following medal designed by Étienne-Victor Exbrayat (1879-1914), a French sculptor, and produced by the Monnaie De Paris. The medal is entitled Medicina and depicts a nursemaid with a dying man on the obverse and the sun rising behind a fountain with the snake of Asclepius on the reverse. I've attached a photo below. The gift was amazing to me, and one I will never forget. Chris has been quite a giving person to me over time, and he is one of the greats of this board.

There are many great people on this board, past and present. "Mike King" is one of those to me. He wrote a letter of recommendation for me to medical school, which was one of the critical ingredients for me getting in. I owe him bountiful thanks. Greg Margulies is another person who has had very positive influence on me here and in numismatics. He is a refreshingly honest person - perhaps to a fault. There are many others to mention, each of whom were positively influential, including but not limited to, Tom Bush, John Wihlborg, Steve liu, James Garcia, Bruce Morelan, John Mortensen, Victor Easley, Dave Lange, Roger Burdette, Lou Butterfield, Roger Weidel, Doug Kurz, Charlie Robbins, Kevin Coe, Dena Skeffington, Chris Fuccione, Doug Prather, Mike Luck, "Cladking," Robert Kanterman, and many, many others who all contributed to my growth in numismatics and who also participated on these boards. To each of you I will try not to say goodbye, but my coming days here are fairly limited.

The sets I will dissolve from the registries will go with great reluctance. I hope that their presence has been of some use to a few of you here and more widely. Meanwhile, here's a great medal::

56450-Medicina1.JPG.58dc4d3afcd65ac7dfc367cbfff924c9.JPG

56451-Medicina2.JPG.78fd3b557ffa78645e206b0268caf4de.JPG

What else is a friend to do when one learns that you are embarking on a new quest. You deserve all the encouragement we can muster. Mom is smiling upon you!

Consider yourself lucky that I didn't have the cartouche engraved.........

Doc Hoot

Chris

Let me tell you all this, when I first arrived here, Hoot’s Classic Jefferson’s was the first registry I looked at and was impressed beyond compare. I went back on numerous occasion to read, look at and to learn, ingesting what he had written for each one of the magnificent coins displayed.

If this is any indication about how meticulous one needs to be in this chosen profession, you my friend are already one step ahead.

Best of luck to you.

~Woody~

I have to agree about HOOT's registry sets. They too are the first registry sets I've even looked at with great awe, and learned so much from. HOOT optimized the potential for what the NGC registry is all about, and he was and still is a great numismatic influence on me. Besides that, what a friend.

HOOT, you're a gifted person, and your life is blessed in every way. You will do a great service to all of your patients from day one.

Dang it, Hoot! You're making me sad talking like that: not showing yourself on the boards anymore. I know that Medical school won't leave you much time and you have to focus on what you're doing (It is said that over half of what you'll be learning in Medical School is either outdated or totally wrong--which means that 2 years of Med School will be a total waste of time so you can stop by and say "hi" during one of these lessons. :þ)

You have been one of the biggest influences in my life as a fledgling collector. I got my first 18th century US type coin from you which still ranks among my favorites and you are just a very likable guy--period. You're among my top 4 favorite boardsters of all time so, yes, I am a little saddened with your departure.

But I love the field of medicine! It has treated me well for the past 15 years. There's a good paycheck, professional pride and lot's of fun interacting with the co-workers. Hey, your job will be hanging around beautiful women and passing out drugs-legally. :o You can't beat that!

Seriously though, it is a challenging field with all sorts of curves thrown at you. You really do have to be sharp and on your toes. But, if you're anything like me, the challenge makes you sharper and a much better technologist (or doc in your case). I had a 64 year old patient last night that came in with general malaise and a rash. She had a chest x-ray 2 months ago that was negative. The ER doc wanted a chest x-ray on her. It didn't make much sense to me but the new x-ray showed a huge tumor in the right hilum with beaucoup edema. I certainly didn't expect to see that. Lots of kudos to the doc who caught it. You'll see plenty of tragedy. Most of the time you'll remain detached but occasionally, you get a patient/case that really touches your soul and really makes you empathize with the pt's plight, especially little kids.

You horizon is clear and your future is bright, Mark. You are a bold man endeavoring on this venture-a lot more bold than I am. I'm not going to wish you luck because you'll forge your way through just fine. It takes the proper mind set and determination to finish your goal. You have the right attitude, so no problem. Mark, just do it!

Oh, among those top 4 favorites of mine--Chris Machuga ranks near the top! The other two are on your list but it could be extended pretty much indefinitely because, almost without exception, everyone of the boardsters here are stand-up, top notched individuals who I have nothing but respect for!

Thanks for everything, Hoot. Thanks for being such a positive influence on my life!

[font:Comic Sans MS]The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.[/font]

Hoot I worked in Medical device engineering, automation and manufacturing management for (40) years because I never was able to afford or find time to attend medical school. Now I am retired. I am sure that you will succeed and be a wonderful doctor and I wish you all the best.

I have started putting together a 1938-1964 Jefferson nickel set to compliment my war nickel set. Your set has been and is an inspiration to me. Although now, many of the key date early coins are becoming quite pricey, I will finish this set eventually. Presently, I am focusing on the pre-1942 coins as a starting point. The set is coming along and I will watch for the coins that you are selling.

Keep in touch and good fortune in your new life.

Charlie

Mark------ Not much that I could say that the guys haven't already covered. Just wish you the best. And hope that you will post every once in awhile to let us know how you are doing. Afterall, you will be up late at night---and you won't get much sleep anyway. Take care. Bob [supertooth]

HOOT ,your time spent and your contributions on these forums will always be a debt owed to you by each and every one of us. So a very large and appreciable THANK YOU is extended from all of us. :golfclap:

Wishing you the very Best. And remembering us when you hear these words. :grin:

[font:Arial Black] Paging Dr. Hooten[/font]

Chris, Where do you find these medals. The one that you gave to Mark is a terrific piece of medalic art. Really nice!

Thanks! I thought it would be very appropriate for Mark and serve as a reminder of his goals.

Over the last three years, I have developed a pretty good relationship with several dealers in France, and they have been able to help me find certain items. However, in this instance, it was just a case of being at the right place at the right time. I spotted it at the Talisman table at the FUN Show. They are the official distributor for the Monnaie de Paris in the United States.

Chris

I'm sure that if you aren't around we'll all hope to see you back in six years.

Best of luck... ... even though there's little chance you'll need it.

My thanks to all of you for your kind replies. I'll miss the comradery of the boards and of numismatics in general. Hopefully, with James being sort-of nearby, and with a few others in regular contact, I might not get completely lost!

I'm a bit delayed on getting the pieces up in the marketplace but have already fielded a few replies - thanks! I'll get to it as soo as I can...

Hoot

Hoot only wish you the best. Between you and Spy and Lucy this place was nickel hopin. Made me and many other go out and buy a few nickels. Hope you stop by on occasion to say hi. :golfclap:

• Administrator
HOOT optimized the potential for what the NGC registry is all about..

I couldn't agree more. Hoot, your passion for numismatics is contagious. You have been an integral force in shaping this community and we thank you for your contributions. I hope you'll pop in once in a while to let us know how you are doing.

Lots of luck. I know you'll make a terrific doctor.