• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm curious. Do you take the time to pickup a penny??

48 posts in this topic

this may seem weird coming from a coin collector, but pocket change drives me crazy. I really can't even remember when i had anything more than my pocket piece jangling around. I won't stop to pick up change unless it is a quarter or more, and I use my debit card so i won't have to deal with change.

There was a news crew that placed 50 shiny, mint-fresh pennies on a city street, then filmed it. After one hour, only one person, a tourist, had bent down to pick up a penny.

Says something.

Says I missed out on .49cents lol

I spent the early years telling my kids to stop picking up dirty change on the ground or they would get something that would rot their little arms off and or end up in a hospital decontamination ward , but they wouldn't stop , so I would toss out the coins from the coin tray in the car out in the driveway , randomly, so they would be able to pick up change and not die from some horrible disease .

This advice from a guy that went through military survival training and ate everything from fresh raw kill to bugs and tree bark (not to mention canned c-rats to MRE's) ....guess my kids thought I was kinda goofy . They are both still healthy and have their arms , but probably still need a good STB (bleach) decon , for their own good that is .

I don't know about a News crew but there used to be a show called "Candid Camera" that would do things to see how people reacted to different situations.

They put Pennies down on the ground and then observed their actions.Some would loool around to see if anybody was watching etc.

Another thin Candid Camera did was put down a dollar bill that was tied to a long string and when people would bend down to pick it up then they would pull it away as if the wind had blown it away and watch their reactions.

in my youth (junior high), we used to take pennies and dimes and apply super glue to one side. We would then go into a convenient store with video games and frequented by our friends and other kids, and place the coins on the floor and machines. The super glue would quickly set, and it was fun to watch people try to pry them up with their finger nails, keys, et cetera. cheap thrills!

Yes, I do. As a matter of fact there are several places that I go when I walk and I am guaranteed to find at least 5 and usually 10 or more. The kids dump their pennies at the end of the high school driveway for some strange reason and the only time I never find any is when school is out for the summer :insane: The other location is at a 4 way intersection by the Krogers store. I have no idea why that happens (shrug) If I walk 4 times a week I will have at least one roll of penies each month along with assorted nickels, dimes and quarters. It beats panhandling :whistle:

I know years ago I wouldn't even waste my energy to bend over and pickup a cent. Now if I even see something that resembles a coin in any fashion, I'll pick it up. If it's too dirty to see dates, I'll take it home and magnify it the best I can to see what it is. Does anyone here do the same?

If it's money, I pick it up! I WILL, however, wash my hands when I get to my destination.

I love finding NOTES! $1 $5, MORE!

My grandfather really had the eagle eyes for the big bills, he'd find rolls of three or four $1 bills, or find a $10, a $20 even! Now he's in a wheelchair with Alzheimer's and outlived his savings, with my mother as his primary caregiver.

He was a penny pincher all the way, and I learned from him the value of every last cent! If the cashier at the supermarket rings the item at $1.09 and it should be $0.99 -- he made them remove the dime, and would force them to get a circular if necessary. I do the same thing today. I learned that when I was 10 years old or younger probably. He was a product of the Great Depression. Heck, now some stores even have the price guarantee. If it scans incorrectly, you get the first item FREE -- I push that issue all the time, and I love when I get freebies! If you bought 2 or more though, the others you just get at the correct price, but that first free one is great! :signofftopic:

The best I ever did was I found a $20 bill while taking a walk around my neighborhood. It was a nice autumn day and the bill was mixed in a clump of leaves. Really made my day.

I used to find currency all the time when I was little. Getting a little harder nowadays. I think people use less of it and those that do use cash, guard it a little better.

That's a good idea. Put a one dollar bill in a urinal and do your business on it. I wonder if anyone would be desperate enough to pick it up? :o

I found over $1.50 in change in the parking lot last week. I picked that up but usually won't bother for less than a quarter or sometimes a dime.

I found a $20 bill once in a neighbor's yard. It looked like it was chewed up by a lawn mower. I rang the door bell, asked them if anyone had lost some money, and when the response was a resounding 'no,' I took it to the bank and exchanged it for a crisp new $20!