• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will NGC start a Canadian Set Registry, also?

35 posts in this topic

PCGS slab promoters in Canada got their way, and in January we'll see PCGS Canadian Set Registries.

Will NGC follow and plague Canadian collectors with Set Registries of its own?

PCGS slab promoters in Canada got their way, and in January we'll see PCGS Canadian Set Registries.

Oh thank god. Now I have a reason to send in all those Olympic bullion coins for grading. I'm sure I can make a few MS70s and sell them for obscene amounts of money.

Anyone want to pre-order than? Free shipping with all pre-orders.

If it is the Canadian $5 and $10 Montreal Olympic coins that you are talking about, every Canadian already owns at least one set. They have patiently been waiting for silver to cross $60 so that they can break even. tongue.gif

If it is the Canadian $5 and $10 Montreal Olympic coins that you are talking about, every Canadian already owns at least one set. They have patiently been waiting for siver to cross $60 so that they can break even.

That may be true, but how many have PCGS-slabbed MS-70s? They'll go from being worth 10% below spot to $4,000 per coin!! shocked.gif At least, that's the what some dealers are hoping will happen...

I guess that position is a long shot. My Dad dutifully bought me a set, at the time. I hung unto to it for about 20 years and then dumped it. I would not hold my hat on that one. tongue.gif

Does it count that I have a Jersey (Great Britain) MS set somewhere in the basement? Bought it back in the 80's because of the incredible toning on the coins.

Eeeeeeexcellent (in the voice of Mr. Burns).

Greg's a Dark Sider shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Never. It's just that when I buy collections, there are frequently these bullion coins in them. Everyone seems to have some.

I honestly think I'll send in a few to PCGS and see what happens. The grading fees are cheap enough to try a set of them.

It is ironic that shortly after I bought those 5 cent pieces from the RCM, I got an email from a friend and colleague who lives in Toronto. Here's what he has to say about Canada:

This ***king stink hole of a pretentious country. Canada, what a joke!

Buy the coin, not the country.

laugh.gif Hoot

He tells Greek fables?

He does that, as well as telling other tall tales. For what it's worth, he's not a native Canook. tongue.gif

The attached shows his greatest love in life. Thus the epithet.

So he has problems, we all do. laugh.gif

Hoot

589a8aa478feb_58611-Gnathbulbus3.jpg.d42121f8e5c327ebcbc66e3d601f73a9.jpg

All I know is it's taken me 30 years of collecting, off and on (mostly 'on') to get just the U.S. coins down (somewhat). Now I've got to learn Canadian?

Aggggghhhh! blush.gifshocked.gifooo.gif

It certainly is, without slabs, I would have lost more money. Most collectors in the US do not know how to grade Canadian Dollars (le Voyageur type). tongue.gif

Most collectors in the US do not know how to grade Canadian Dollars (le Voyageur type).

Yea, verily.

If the Canadians were smart, they'd market their silver dollars as "Voyeur dollars" to US collectors. I'm sure interest would skyrocket! shocked.gif