• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1937 Antietam Civil War Half worth $120K???

34 posts in this topic

I wanted to let you know that the Maine coin did grade MS65 which is where I expected. MS67 of course would've been a bonus. Are you paying for this since it graded at 65? Oh wait it was a freebie. You can owe me. I've been pricing the Maine coin at ebay auctions and they have all been going for more than 400$ at this grade. I forgot to tell you the price I checked before the buy was the Numismedia guide and they priced it at a grade of 64-65. So again I think I got what I paid for and there is no reason to insult the seller for selling me a dud. As far as getting ebammed? No I don't think so.

I did grade another coin I submitted, correctly. I put in a Dolly Madison gold coin anticipating UC70 and I got it! I love guessing right. I guess it's all part of the fun. I did guess wrong on 3 coins. They were all improperly cleaned with one coin only having one side that was cleaned badly. The coins I bombed on were the 1921 Pilgrim, 1925 Stone Mountain and the bad one side coin was the 1936 Cleaveland. I can't wait for the report to show up so I can see what they have to say as this is still new to me.

I also have 10 Morgans coming back but since I used my ANA number I can't see what the grades are until they arrive here. I'll share them when I get them.

I hope I didn't come across as to "I told you so" but this was sticking in my craw and even though three coins bombed I still feel somewhat vindicated on the Maine coin.

Thanks for listening.

I wanted to let you know that the Maine coin did grade MS65 which is where I expected. MS67 of course would've been a bonus. Are you paying for this since it graded at 65? Oh wait it was a freebie. You can owe me. I've been pricing the Maine coin at ebay auctions and they have all been going for more than 400$ at this grade. I forgot to tell you the price I checked before the buy was the Numismedia guide and they priced it at a grade of 64-65. So again I think I got what I paid for and there is no reason to insult the seller for selling me a dud. As far as getting ebammed? No I don't think so.

I did grade another coin I submitted, correctly. I put in a Dolly Madison gold coin anticipating UC70 and I got it! I love guessing right. I guess it's all part of the fun. I did guess wrong on 3 coins. They were all improperly cleaned with one coin only having one side that was cleaned badly. The coins I bombed on were the 1921 Pilgrim, 1925 Stone Mountain and the bad one side coin was the 1936 Cleaveland. I can't wait for the report to show up so I can see what they have to say as this is still new to me.

I also have 10 Morgans coming back but since I used my ANA number I can't see what the grades are until they arrive here. I'll share them when I get them.

I hope I didn't come across as to "I told you so" but this was sticking in my craw and even though three coins bombed I still feel somewhat vindicated on the Maine coin.

Thanks for listening.

I'm not sure while you feel "vindicated" about the Maine. Almost every NGC and PCGS MS65 Maine sold by Heritage recently has sold for less than $400. A few brought literally just a few dollars over that amount.

If you paid $400+ and spent money or used a grading coupon for getting the coin slabbed, you didn't do yourself any favors. And based on the odds of buying uncertified coins, you were probably far more likely to end up with an even less favorable result than you did, as opposed to a more favorable one.

Is Heritage the place to shop for slabbed commemoratives? I just got a new price list and it shows the Maine at 585$. Yes I realize that it's just one price list that I'm quoting but I just got it in the mail today. Is Heritage going to offer me a discount so I can get those really hard to get/pay for coins? Is it just auctions? You know what? The heck with it I'll look myself.

Thanks for your opinion on the other matters. If you know of other caches of coins where they sell for typicall less than half value of the Numismedia guide I'd love to know. My strategy of late has been using that guide and then not going higher than half the price they show when I'm in an auction. If I'm lucky I'll get the occasional coin this way but they won't be jumping off the shelfs at me.

By all means have a wonderful day.

PS My first check at heritage has a MS65 Maine for 1045$.

Is Heritage the place to shop for slabbed commemoratives? I just got a new price list and it shows the Maine at 585$. Yes I realize that it's just one price list that I'm quoting but I just got it in the mail today. Is Heritage going to offer me a discount so I can get those really hard to get/pay for coins? Is it just auctions? You know what? The heck with it I'll look myself.

Thanks for your opinion on the other matters. If you know of other caches of coins where they sell for typicall less than half value of the Numismedia guide I'd love to know. My strategy of late has been using that guide and then not going higher than half the price they show when I'm in an auction. If I'm lucky I'll get the occasional coin this way but they won't be jumping off the shelfs at me.

By all means have a wonderful day.

PS My first check at heritage has a MS65 Maine for 1045$.

I apologize for not having been clear - I was speaking of Heritage auction prices realized. Below, please see results for 2008, thus far. By the way, "Numismedia retail" shows $475. So you ignored your own rule, and by a wide margin, about not "going higher than half the price they show when I'm in an auction".

8142 Commemorative Silver

1920 50C Maine MS65 PCGS. . PCGS Population (841/355). NGC Census: (786/257). Mintage: 50,028. Numismedia Wsl. Price for NG... Final Session PCGS MS65 March 11, 2008 $373.75

(Live: Floor)

8143 Commemorative Silver

1920 50C Maine MS65 PCGS. . PCGS Population (841/355). NGC Census: (786/257). Mintage: 50,028. Numismedia Wsl. Price for NG... Final Session PCGS MS65 March 11, 2008 $322.00

(Internet)

8144 Commemorative Silver

1920 50C Maine MS65 PCGS. PCGS Population (841/355). NGC Census: (786/257). Mintage: 50,028. Numismedia Wsl. Price for NGC/... Final Session PCGS MS65 March 11, 2008 $402.50

8145 Commemorative Silver

1920 50C Maine MS65 PCGS. PCGS Population (841/355). NGC Census: (786/257). Mintage: 50,028. Numismedia Wsl. Price for NGC/... Final Session PCGS MS65 March 11, 2008 $373.75

8146 Commemorative Silver

1920 50C Maine MS65 PCGS. PCGS Population (841/355). NGC Census: (786/257). Mintage: 50,028. Numismedia Wsl. Price for NGC/... Final Session PCGS MS65 March 11, 2008 $373.75

(Internet)

8147 Commemorative Silver

1920 50C Maine MS65 PCGS. PCGS Population (841/355). NGC Census: (786/257). Mintage: 50,028. Numismedia Wsl. Price for NGC/... Final Session PCGS MS65 March 11, 2008 $404.80

(Internet)

8148 Commemorative Silver

1920 50C Maine MS65 PCGS. PCGS Population (841/355). NGC Census: (786/257). Mintage: 50,028. Numismedia Wsl. Price for NGC/... Final Session PCGS MS65 March 11, 2008 $322.00

(Internet)

63699 Commemorative Silver

1920 50C Maine MS65 PCGS. PCGS Population (842/355). NGC Census: (786/257). Mintage: 50,028. Numismedia Wsl. Price for NGC/... Internet Only PCGS MS65 February 17, 2008 $345.00

(Internet)

11061 Commemorative Silver

1920 50C Maine MS65 NGC. NGC Census: (785/256). PCGS Population (840/354). Mintage: 50,028. Numismedia Wsl. Price for NGC/P... Final Session NGC MS65 January 16, 2008 $345.00

(Internet