• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1937 Antietam Civil War Half worth $120K???

34 posts in this topic

Anyone worth their salt would of had the coins slabbed. Since they are raw like this, I'm hearing alarms.

I can't imagine this has actually happened. NO ONE in their right mind would bid that sort of money for a raw relatively common coin. Something about this smells WAY wrong.

If you check out all his commem's that sold today and will sell tomorrow he's got quite the assortment of what appear to be perfect commemoratives. I picked up the Maine coin and looking at the pictures makes me drool. lol No really though check out the coins this guys selling and they are amazing.

I have never bought anything from this seller, but he has been discussed at lengths ATS. If he is this good of a seller, maybe I should consign with him. My gem svdb would go for maybe $50K+

The high bidder likely really wanted the coin and put in an insane bid figuring no one would come close. What's the risk of putting in a $1,000,000 bid on a $1,000 coin? Someone else thought the same thing and the auction ends with a stupid selling price based on two people figuring no one else would be that stupid.

Stgecko, I would suggest you have someone verrrry knowledgable look at any coins you buy from this seller in-hand! He has been discussed on the PCGS boards many times because several members have won his auctions and their images of his coins show that they have turned out to be significantly less nice in reality than the images suggest. You are begging to lose your money if you buy like that.

Yup, it was on msnbc today and ATS afew days ago. Also on aol-news today. I am searching all my cereal. I have a piece of hair that has the face of Budda in it, Its only priced at $4,595. U.S. funds only and no paypal. Sorry, didnt mean to spam the forum.:)

I took a shot with this seller and I'll let you know how it turns out. Keep your fingers crossed for me or I just learned an expensive lesson. I'm still hoping for a special coin out of this and I'll report back when I get it.

Bidder Bid Amount Bid Time

dave.tracy( 2067) US $121,251.00 Mar-24-08 14:40:35 PDT

m***n( 32) US $121,151.00 Mar-24-08 14:36:32 PDT

dave.tracy( 2067) US $6,788.00 Mar-24-08 14:40:18 PDT

m***n( 32) US $1,200.00 Mar-24-08 14:36:15 PDT

m***n( 32) US $1,151.01 Mar-24-08 13:46:07 PDT

e***2( 149) US $1,100.00 Mar-24-08 06:47:48 PDT

Wow... look how the bidding ended in that auction. Dang I should let this guy sell my commems...

I had made a statement in an earlier thread that early commemoratives were not selling for "moon money" right now...

I stand corrected. doh!

Bidder Bid Amount Bid Time

dave.tracy( 2067) US $121,251.00 Mar-24-08 14:40:35 PDT

m***n( 32) US $121,151.00 Mar-24-08 14:36:32 PDT

dave.tracy( 2067) US $6,788.00 Mar-24-08 14:40:18 PDT

m***n( 32) US $1,200.00 Mar-24-08 14:36:15 PDT

m***n( 32) US $1,151.01 Mar-24-08 13:46:07 PDT

e***2( 149) US $1,100.00 Mar-24-08 06:47:48 PDT

Wow... look how the bidding ended in that auction. Dang I should let this guy sell my commems...
I had made a statement in an earlier thread that early commemoratives were not selling for "moon money" right now...

I stand corrected. doh!

Me too. I was under the impression that CCHDs have been in the doldrums forever. Apparently not.

I wonder if the buyer will go through with it. If Dave Tracy is married, what do you think his spouse is going to do? Remove his eBay privileges?

I think the bid pattern is hilarious. Dave Tracy got outbid at 121151, then came back and bid again to win at 121251. lol:roflmao:

I stand corrected. doh!

Me too. I was under the impression that CCHDs have been in the doldrums forever. Apparently not.

I wonder if the buyer will go through with it. If Dave Tracy is married, what do you think his spouse is going to do? Remove his eBay privileges?

She's gonna remove more than just his e-bay privleges! :o

Well I promised some followup with this seller of awesome appearing commemoratives. My coin, Maine, is on the way and in the mean time I've been watching his feedback and it's nothing but glowing and yes so far it does show a couple of commemorative sales as being glowing as well. When mine gets here I shall still take a photo to show. I'm still a bit on the optimistic side until a bad coin proves otherwise.

Peace

Well I promised some followup with this seller of awesome appearing commemoratives. My coin, Maine, is on the way and in the mean time I've been watching his feedback and it's nothing but glowing and yes so far it does show a couple of commemorative sales as being glowing as well. When mine gets here I shall still take a photo to show. I'm still a bit on the optimistic side until a bad coin proves otherwise.

Peace

Sadly, "glowing feedback" means nothing. There are numerous crooks on Ebay (and elsewhere) with great feedback, including one with 100% positive. They sell badly over-graded coins which are bought by bidders who don't know what they're doing/how to grade, and who think they are getting bargains.

In reality, however, they are getting very bad deals. Some of these sellers also intimidate the small number of buyers who figure out what's going on and get them to remove the negative feedback which was originally left or about to be left.

Regardless of what your images might show, I can almost guarantee you that you bought your coin for considerably more than you could turn around and sell it for and that it won't grade as high as you think it will. You are trying to win against huge odds. Countless people think they can beat those odds, but hardly anyone can - that's why the odds are so big in the first place.

Send your coin to PCGS or NGC for grading and if the assigned grade would make you a winner (meaning in this case, a grade above MS65) and not a loser, I will reimburse you for your grading fee. I am extremely confident that I won't owe you anything resulting from my offer.

As Mark wrote, glowing feedback can often be left by ignorant buyers who don't know they just lost 90% of their money and who are still giddy at the "bargain" or "score" they purchased.

I'm doing my best on finding evidence for the seller. So far there are more positives than negatives and yes this includes forums. I know I can be cynical/realistic and doubt everyone and everything but I choose not to. I definately plan on taking the coin to my local dealer to see what he thinks. This along with a picture should be coming shortly, I hope. My guess is early next week on the delivery. Oh and just so you all don't think I'm a total boob, lol, I only believe a coins advertised grade if it's slabbed by a reputable company, otherwise I figure at least a few grades lower for an overly optimistic grade from the seller. I hope this post doesn't come across as me being upset because I'm not. I appreciate most if not all of the items shared with me. Of course being naive I believe everything everyone tells me. ;)

I'm doing my best on finding evidence for the seller. So far there are more positives than negatives and yes this includes forums. I know I can be cynical/realistic and doubt everyone and everything but I choose not to. I definately plan on taking the coin to my local dealer to see what he thinks. This along with a picture should be coming shortly, I hope. My guess is early next week on the delivery. Oh and just so you all don't think I'm a total boob, lol, I only believe a coins advertised grade if it's slabbed by a reputable company, otherwise I figure at least a few grades lower for an overly optimistic grade from the seller. I hope this post doesn't come across as me being upset because I'm not. I appreciate most if not all of the items shared with me. Of course being naive I believe everything everyone tells me. ;)
Are you convinced that the coin will grade MS66 or higher? If not, why did you bid so high? PCGS and NGC MS65's can be had quite easily for less than you paid. And if you do think it will grade MS66 or higher, based upon what? The odds are clearly very much against you.

Stgecko, I would put that commem. into an envelope and send it back A.S.A.P. Feedback means nothing as you have been told. If the seller is then the coin is !

Got Bammed by Ebay
Presumably, you mean that particular listing and not the seller.

Correct