• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gem proofs

4 posts in this topic

Does 'gem proof' equate to a certain PR-6x grade? Does it really mean anything? I have a bunch of these (we inherited) in flips that look pretty good to me, but most proof coins do, that being the whole point. They're mostly labeled 'gem proof' as though that's different from regular proof, but while I find lots of people offering gem proof coins for sale online, I find none of them really quantifying that. I don't have a lot of experience with proofs and can't readily find the answer to this.

The terms associated with grades are a little random and vary from dealer to dealer. I’ve heard the term gem to describe everything from 63 to 66.

When it comes to modern proof coinage, gem proof seems a little redundant.

The terms associated with grades are a little random and vary from dealer to dealer. I’ve heard the term gem to describe everything from 63 to 66.

When it comes to modern proof coinage, gem proof seems a little redundant.

To me a Gem Proof means AT LEAST PR-66 given today's grading standards, which are really soft for the PR-65 grade for the coins from 1936 to date. I don't care for most PR-65, 1936-42 coins I see. For most modern Proofs to me Gem means Ultra Cameo with a number grade of at least 69.

For Barber Proofs and ealier, the term can apply to PR-65 coins, but they need to "A" (PQ) PR-65, not "C" (low end) PR-65.