NGC Slab Varieties
8 8

77 posts in this topic

2,194 posts

When I looked at that buff, I thought it was a gold bullion coin because of the toning!

758 posts

Ok my question is do sample slabs fall into the normal NGC slab numbers system?

I have this sample slab that is different than any on this list, to me is closely resembles an NGC 5 but the back hologram sticker was not used until NGC 7.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

KGrHqJjIE6Io7E2HWBOk6P2EJ-w_3.jpg

15,028 posts

No, sample slabs are not included in Conders numbering system. There are a number of sample slabs that closely resemble regular issues, except for the word sample.

22 posts
Ok my question is do sample slabs fall into the normal NGC slab numbers system?

I have this sample slab that is different than any on this list, to me is closely resembles an NGC 5 but the back hologram sticker was not used until NGC 7.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

NGC 5 was the last of the no line holders. Your slab has the line (keyed) insert, which started with NGC 6. If your back hologram is the smaller one, it could be one of two generations; NGC 7 or NGC 8.1. (The difference being NGC 8.1's hologram is slightly larger).

-Conder didn't focus on Samples, but I think the info should still apply (but I could be wrong).

Cameron Kiefer specifically focused on sample slabs, but used a completely different classification system. Your slab matches his NGC 14.3 (same slab #): http://www.sampleslabs.com/ngc.html

9,040 posts

Without seeing the back I coudn't be sure but because I don't know the size of the hologram. In the book I showed what I called NGC 7S1 which seems to be identical to yours but at that time I had not identified the NGC 8.1 variety with the larger hologram. So if it has the large hologram it would be NGC 8.1S1 in my system.

3,656 posts

Conder101, At what point is an NGC slab considered "older"? I have a 1954 S Roosevelt MS67 Toned in an NGC 4 holder, thanks to the auction house(s), the back hologram is mostly peeled off.

9,040 posts

I consider it older when it is not the current generation. :)

If you mean an "old" holder so it can be hyped as "a potential upgrade because they graded more conservatively back then", then that would probably be before NGC 6, the era of the "no line fattie" holders.

Some dealers though will promote anything before the current generation or maybe the one before that as an "old holder" because they know many collectors have heard the old holder myth and most of them have no idea when any given holder came out.

732 posts

Would this slab be considered between 4 and 5 or maybe just an early version of 5? From what I understand, the NGC 4 label changed from a green to a brown bordered label before the next generation. Most of the NGC 5 that I see have brown borders

NGC5?

ngcgrbc.jpg

NGC4

ngcgrnbc.jpg

9,040 posts

When I wrote the book I didn't differentiate between the two different colors. This is due to my color blindness I didn't know there were two colors they both look the same to me. The green border did come first but I can't tell you exactly when it ended. I believe it was sometime during the production of my generation 3.

1,174 posts

:bump:

Inquiring minds want to know.

Also, there's a great new feature with these new boards, allowing you to get to any page by just clicking the number of the last page for a Forum.

A little window will open and ask you what page you want to go to.

To find this page, I saw that the U.S Coins last page was Page 851 and that page was September 17, 2002 when I went there.

From the link that TonerGuy gave, the last post in this thread was March 28, 2013.

We are at February 23, 2017.  By interpolation, assuming a constant post rate all along, figure 15 years total, and we are at 4 years back for this thread's last post, so 4/15*851 = 227th page.

Then you enter page 227 into the little window, see the date, guess anew, see the date, until you find the date of the thread.

For this thread, it was not at Page 227, but was instead at Page 152.  But I got here pretty fast.

3 posts

I just got an 1924 St. Gaudens NGC  MS64 today from APMEX, from eBay.  It is an Older Label which looks to be the #7, based on the barcode and number above it, and the size and type of label on back.  Cool Stuff! This is from 1997-2000. It is 2018 now.