• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Slab Varieties

77 posts in this topic

Ok my question is do sample slabs fall into the normal NGC slab numbers system?

I have this sample slab that is different than any on this list, to me is closely resembles an NGC 5 but the back hologram sticker was not used until NGC 7.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

KGrHqJjIE6Io7E2HWBOk6P2EJ-w_3.jpg

Ok my question is do sample slabs fall into the normal NGC slab numbers system?

I have this sample slab that is different than any on this list, to me is closely resembles an NGC 5 but the back hologram sticker was not used until NGC 7.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

NGC 5 was the last of the no line holders. Your slab has the line (keyed) insert, which started with NGC 6. If your back hologram is the smaller one, it could be one of two generations; NGC 7 or NGC 8.1. (The difference being NGC 8.1's hologram is slightly larger).

-Conder didn't focus on Samples, but I think the info should still apply (but I could be wrong).

Cameron Kiefer specifically focused on sample slabs, but used a completely different classification system. Your slab matches his NGC 14.3 (same slab #): http://www.sampleslabs.com/ngc.html

Without seeing the back I coudn't be sure but because I don't know the size of the hologram. In the book I showed what I called NGC 7S1 which seems to be identical to yours but at that time I had not identified the NGC 8.1 variety with the larger hologram. So if it has the large hologram it would be NGC 8.1S1 in my system.

Conder101, At what point is an NGC slab considered "older"? I have a 1954 S Roosevelt MS67 Toned in an NGC 4 holder, thanks to the auction house(s), the back hologram is mostly peeled off.

I consider it older when it is not the current generation. :)

If you mean an "old" holder so it can be hyped as "a potential upgrade because they graded more conservatively back then", then that would probably be before NGC 6, the era of the "no line fattie" holders.

Some dealers though will promote anything before the current generation or maybe the one before that as an "old holder" because they know many collectors have heard the old holder myth and most of them have no idea when any given holder came out.

Would this slab be considered between 4 and 5 or maybe just an early version of 5? From what I understand, the NGC 4 label changed from a green to a brown bordered label before the next generation. Most of the NGC 5 that I see have brown borders

NGC5?

ngcgrbc.jpg

NGC4

ngcgrnbc.jpg

When I wrote the book I didn't differentiate between the two different colors. This is due to my color blindness I didn't know there were two colors they both look the same to me. The green border did come first but I can't tell you exactly when it ended. I believe it was sometime during the production of my generation 3.

:bump:

Inquiring minds want to know.

Also, there's a great new feature with these new boards, allowing you to get to any page by just clicking the number of the last page for a Forum.

A little window will open and ask you what page you want to go to.

To find this page, I saw that the U.S Coins last page was Page 851 and that page was September 17, 2002 when I went there.

From the link that TonerGuy gave, the last post in this thread was March 28, 2013.

We are at February 23, 2017.  By interpolation, assuming a constant post rate all along, figure 15 years total, and we are at 4 years back for this thread's last post, so 4/15*851 = 227th page.

Then you enter page 227 into the little window, see the date, guess anew, see the date, until you find the date of the thread.

For this thread, it was not at Page 227, but was instead at Page 152.  But I got here pretty fast.