• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should NGC limit the number of PCGS coins in each Registry Set?

67 posts in this topic

I noticed this post from across the street and it got me thinking about the Registry game.

As a true collector, I really don't care much about the slab. I own PCGS, NGC and ANACS slabs and I rate them all equally, for the most part. Each company has its good points and drawbacks in regards to grading.

But, here's the question, should NGC limit the percentage of PCGS coins it allows in each set? Would it create a demand for NGC plastic? Would it force PCGS only high ranking sets out of the NGC registry, giving those that are more loyal to NGC a chance at ascending to the top of the registry? Would it be good for NGC or do you think it would cause problems.

While I like the idea that PCGS coins are allowed in the NGC Registry, I believe it should be limited. Perhaps 51% of your set has to be NGC slabbed coins.

Any thoughts?

Michael

The PCGS-only sets will fade. A couple of years from now the PCGS Registry will be filled with so-so sets owned by the last few diehards. NGC only needs to wait out this and slowly the PCGS-only sets registered here will fall down the list and be replaced by true top sets.

Greg your bias slip is showing. makepoint.gif The folks that own and run Collectors Society seem to be very intelligent managers of a company. I am sure they decided to include coins from both grading companies as a way to spark interest in their registry, as well as realizing that both companies grade coins very similarly (despite some of the protests across the street). I can't see where it would be in their best interest or collectors best interest to limit the number of PCGS graded coins in the registry. If they did it would promote what happens at the CU Registry, an emphasis on the slab rather than the coin. Afterall CS has moved miles ahead in the race for customer service. Why stop now?

Any collector that thinks having just one major grading company out there is thinking shortsided. The reason I registered some of my sets here rather than at CU is because they allow both in the registry. I also prefer the scoring methods here and the fact that you can see what new coins are entered into the registry.

Some of the comments made in the thread across the street is why I spend more time here. I don't equate spending more money for coins in a registry as a sign of intelligence. One thing I learned over the years being a banker, is that money doesn't make one intellingent. But that is another topic. 893blahblah.gif

Seems how the set I own and have registered both here and at PCGS is all PCGS slabbed coins it is somewhat of a embarrasment that NGC graded coins are not included. I really think NGC should have some sort of a requirment for thier product in the registry. Maybe 10% or even 20%.

The intent of the thread across the street was not to pit one company against the other but to just get some opinions about why collectors have not caught on to collecting NGC Mercs as a whole set as it is done with PCGS graded coins. Maybe NGC graded coin collectors just do not put sets together or maybe more time is needed for the Registry to really catch on here.

In reguard to one statement made in this thread..."Hell will freeze over first". With some series maybe and probably the Finest Sets will end up here but with other series it just will not happen. Collectors will make the decision about which coins are better and not a grading service that puts the coin in plastic.Right at the moment collectors have determined that PCGS graded Mercs are a little better. Time will tell if NGC graded Mercs will rule in the future and the collector will make that decision.

Ken

NO. I believe that NGC is taking the high road on this issue while PCGS's policy strikes me as snobbish to the extreme.

There are great coins in both company's holders, and I own coins in both company's holders, but I have seen plenty of coins in PCGS holders that I would not want to own. IMO just because a coin is in a PCGS holder does not mean that it is better than a coin in an NGC holder. I believe that NGC is not afraid to acknowledge that coins in PCGS holders are of the same quality as NGC coins. Is PCGS afraid to do the same? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

John

Embarassing to who? I think NGC has done the right thing by letting the collector decide which coins to place in their registry sets. I think its an embarassment for DH to one hand state that one of his goals is to get all NGC coins that would cross into his slabs and on the other hand not to allow them into his registry w/o a change in slabs. Grade the coins register the cert # given out by NGC and allow them into the registry with the grade they assigned. Doesn't sound to me like it would be difficult.

If you state in your advertising that you have the finest sets, then allow them in. The all time best sets in some catagories were never even entombed in a slab. If one chooses not to see through the hype or ingore if fine. I undestand this, there is a lot of money invested in some of those sets as well as groupthink going on.

But to say that what NGC is embarassing strikes me as just the opposite. I started a PCGS only IHC set, but realized how dumb this was when I started finding nicer coins in NGC slabs. Pesonally don't care if they ever were registered here or across the street. I am sure not going to lose any sleep over whether or not they would cross.

A few months ago I saw an NGC proof quarter purchased off ebay and then crossed one grade lower at PCGS. The buyer lost hundreds of dollars just for the satisfaction of putting it in some registry set. For what purpose, just so you could have some bragging rights on a forum? For me personally that would be an embarassment. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't think the folks at NGC look at the registry as a competition between the two companies. It's an opportunity to create a registry set without worrying about crossing out a coin, but the opportunity to buy nice coins in both holders.

I have to agree with the majority on this issue. I think that NGC has taken the high road on this issue; limiting the number of PCGS coins in one's registry sets would wipe out a couple of my sets. I collect coins and not their holders, and I too have a number of ANACS and a few ICG coins in my sets which can not be registered either here or accross the street. When I start a series, I try and find coins from one service or the other that matches the first coin I bought whether or not its NGC or PCGS. The uniformity of the set is what impresses me, but every so often I can not pass on a beautiful coin that is in another holder other than the majority of a particular series. This option of dual certification is what attracted me to the NGC web site in the first place, and as a result, I have started another series exclusively with NGC coins ( Blast White Franklin Halves in PF67 CAM).

Limiting the percentage of non NGC coins in its Registry will limit the number of registrants. Please keep the system the way it is..... "if it ain't broke why fix it ?...

A few months ago I saw an NGC proof quarter purchased off ebay and then crossed one grade lower at PCGS. The buyer lost hundreds of dollars just for the satisfaction of putting it in some registry set. For what purpose, just so you could have some bragging rights on a forum? For me personally that would be an embarassment. confused-smiley-013.gif

It was more than a few hundred dollars. It was a THOUSAND dollars which I believe represented about 30% of the value of the coin. I don't know if you know this, but the guy sold the set. Let's just say that I "believe" that coin is now being graded at NGC by the new owner. I'm not positive, but...

Bottom line, it really matters very little. My collection has a pretty broad mix of PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG and even :gasp: raw coins! The simple fact is that if the NCG registry changed tomorrow, and my set went away, who cares? I still get to keep the coins! It's true, I like the NCG sets for allowing me to share a larger portion of my set with other collectors, but if they went away, I would just put my set on a personal webpage somewhere anyway. I will say, if they changed it like PCGS and required me to jump through the flaming hoops of the crossover game to register my coins, then I would be out quicker than Don Zimmer charging the mound at Fenway. Just my 2 cents.

I agree that CS should force a percentage of their coins into the sets, I would also like to see ANACS coins allowed. After all, NGC is the official grader of ANA (at least that is what it says on the holder.

I think it's quite interesting that NGC posted that they will now be handing out "Registry Awards" this year. Let's see how many top PCGS only sets get registered before the cutoff deadline. I'm sure that there are numerous PCGS only sets that will migrate their way to this side of the street in order to get a plaque or some recognition they might not get @ CU.

I still say NGC is really losing out by not requiring a certain percentage of a set to be comprised of NGC coins. I think it might even be embarrassing for them when they start handing out awards that will go to participants that refuse to buy their product and believe they are a second rate grading service.

Michael

That would be embarrassing if one of the snob jerks from the other site wins a Registry Set award here and crows about it over there. I am really, really tired of comments like: "PCGS sells for multiples of NGC" and "PCGS should let NGC coins into their Registry, only one grade lower", etc., ad nausea.

I go over there less and less, because I can not abide the slavering bxtt kissing and put-downs. I need to stay away. I need to stay away from there!..................

Geez Oldtrader. I hope you do not put all people that post across the street in the Snob Jerk class.

Seems how we both live in the same part of the country maybe we will be able to meet sometime and you will be able to make a up close and personal determination.

I do go along with you and hope that NGC does not give out the award to a set that is comprised of only PCGS coins. That would seem strange to me.

Ken

Aren't we forgetting something important??? Isn't this still about the coins??? If someone wins a plaque because they have a really awesome set, shouldn't we be glad, even if they are all PCGS and the person may be a "snob"??? To me, NGC is doing the right thing in my eyes, we should be happy to see great sets come together, regardless of the worthless plastic that entombs the coins. As for the snob issue, there are jerks on both sides, and really great people as well in the upper echelons of our hobby, so even if there are people at the top that we don't like, at least they have wonderful collections we can admire and aspire to.

I don't think NGC should limit the number of PCGS coins in the NGC Registry. I agree with Greg M. that, over time, more and more sets will have a larger percentage of NGC coins.

However that may happen for another reason than suggested. For some modern series it is cheaper to buy a higher scoring coin in an NGC holder. So if you don't look at coins at all, just holders, one would expect more NGC coins to get entered.

I base this opinion on my experience with proof Jefferson nickels. I have less experience with proof silver Washington quarters and Roosevelt dimes but have seen evidence in those series to support my opinion.

Carl, very good point. When my daughters decided to collect coins they settled on proof quarters, mainly because they liked the cameo look of George. A proof 70 dcam from 68 up runs $400-$600 in a PCGS slab and $60-$75 in an NGC slab.

You can your money on one coin or 4 or 5 for the same amount and regardless of what most people claim, I doubt that 99% of us could tell the difference between an NGC or PCGS coin or the difference between a 69 or 70.

You also have a lot less financial risk come time to sell. To me the smarter collector of moderns is the one who spendsless money for the same grade coin.

Ken: I was not painting everyone who posts over on the other side with the same brush. It is just a few individuals who sing the same tired refrain over and over again. Probably most of the members over there are nice people, just like here. I am not aware of anyone here behaving that way (thank goodness), but the same would apply. tonofbricks.gif

Charlie

Oldtrader

I was just Goofing around with you. grin.gif I'm sure you would not judge people by which Coin Board they post on. laugh.gif

Hey did you go to the Tacoma/Lakewood Coin Show this weekend. I goofed up and missed it. frown.gif

Take Care.

Ken

I zoned on the Tacoma Show this weekend. I have bronchitis and am under the weather. Plus it is a 2 hour drive each way for (which normally would not be a problem). By the way, my daughter lives in Eugene. Are you near there?

NUTS! Was that the show at that Restaurant? Stortinis? I like that show a lot and I missed it! I was in Portland yesterday, and today I was at the Bears game so I missed it. 893frustrated.gif

OT3

About 70 miles north of Eugene. I live in a smaller town south of Portland.The wife and I just may get back to our roots and move back to the wide open Eastern Oregon in a couple of months. We both figure 30+ years in the Wilamette Valley is enough. grin.gif

The show was at the Civic Center on Bridgeport Way in Tacoma. Sure wish I would have known about it before it was over Saturday. Russ posted his new coins across the street and thats how I heard about it being this weekend. Better keep a eye on the schedule from now on.

Ken

I see no reason for NGC to change its policies regarding the percentage of PCGS coins. NGC has got it right. Their registry accepts both and that provides a better chance to really see whose collection is best.

PCGS is myopic and WRONG. insane.gif Their registry with its PCGS only policy is narrow and useless so far as I'm concerned. sleeping.gif

I'm not going to waste good money to go to PCGS for crossovers. I'd sooner spend it COINS! cool.gif