• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many coins did you miss in 2007 but still think about in 2008?

10 posts in this topic

One of the more interesting aspects of looking back on the previous year's collecting efforts is to think about which coins got away that I still think about and wish I got.

In the end, there are 5 coins that I still think about from last year.

- 1 Morgan dollar

- 1 US pattern

- 1 China medal

- 2 US medals

How many coins did you miss getting in 2007 but still think about?

The main I miss is an Uncirculated Jamestown $5 gold coin that some one stole from my case last year at a show.

Otherwise there were no coins that I failed to purchase and now regret.

Only one, a seated dollar. Damn you Tom! :grin:

I guess I missed that one...must have been good and organic.

Ummm...one I missed, I intended to bid on a Chambers long worm, the bidding mechanism on the internet didn't work. No guarantee I would have gotten it, but hell knows, I may have. But didn't---and I doubt an opportunity like that will come up again.

Only one that I really wanted, but I bid my max which I believe was strong money and someone bested me.

Bero-obv.jpg

Bero-rev.jpg

Switzerland (Beromuenster) Quarter Thaler dated 1720. It was issued by an abbey in this municipality, a part of the Canton of Lucerne; its castle housed Switzerland's first printing press in the late 15th century, and today the place remains a center of Swiss communications. The coin depicts St Michael slaying the mythical dragon (having a devil's face), while the other side shows the arms.

It was like $600 when the lot opened and a bidder and I ran it up. Ended up selling for about $1850.

There were several coins & tokens that I wish that I had gotten, but the one that stands out was a bimetal lumber token that I missed because I was trying to watch too many auctions at one time. It went for $6 and some change! :(